Can't seem to get the weight off!!

Options
Ugh! I was down to 201.5 yesterday morning. When I weighed myself a few hours later i was at 204. I don't get it. I think I have to really kick up my exercise. I am feeling very discouraged.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I was down to 201.5 yesterday morning. When I weighed myself a few hours later i was at 204. I don't get it. I think I have to really kick up my exercise. I am feeling very discouraged.

Do not get caught up in day to day fluctuations. I'm lighter than you, and male, and I can pee out 6 lbs in a matter of 6-8 hours. Water weight causes weight fluctuations and if you way yourself daily you will sometimes get confused by this. (And being female you can probably retain even more).

If your weight stalls for 4+ weeks, then start looking at potential modifications to your method/plan. Anything less than that, I'd ignore it.
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    I agree...don't get caught up or discouraged by fluctuations. It's completely normal to gain/lose throughout the day. Remember 3500 calories equals a pound. There's no way you ate enough in just a few hours to gain 3 pounds. I would suggest picking one day of the week and making that your official weigh in day. Pick the same time of day and maybe even wear the same clothes or just go naked to get the most accurate number. And don't worry if the scale goes up and down. I freaked out this past week because I had somehow gained back 2 pounds of the 6 I lost, but I was told that it was just water weight and they were right. I must have peed/sweat it all out in the last few days because I'm now back to where I was plus an extra pound gone. Don't get discouraged! Keep on keepin' on and don't give up. Remember, it takes time and patience. You didn't gain the weight in a week so you won't lose it in a week.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, one time, naked when I first get up and after I pee. It fluctuates by as much as two pounds even though I underestimate exercise calories burned, and over estimate foos calories consumed. So as long as the general slope of weight over time is a downward angle, I do not get hung up on the day to day numbers........
    if your trend is not losing, then re-evaluate your exercise and food. MEASURE EVERYTHING!!!!

count everything.. if you bite it, then write it!!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing more than once a day? There's no need for it and all it will do is screw with your head. (as it has done)

If you must weigh daily do it at the same time with the same clothes on. You'll still have fluctuations outside of fat weight but you'll get a clearer picture.
  • kamckinley1
    kamckinley1 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you all! Great advice. I need to stop obsessing with the scale everyday. Maybe I will only get on the scale once a week and see how that works out.
  • jennmetz
    jennmetz Posts: 20
    Options
    Although the scale can keep us on track, it only tells part of the story!
    Take your measurements, and pictures every 30 days!
    If you're strength training and adding muscle, the scale will fluctuate.
    Water weight - check your salt intake, balance of carbs and amount of water you're drinking.
    Too much of the first two, and not enough of the second will make your body retain water - and that can be 5, 6, 7 pounds!!!
    I only weigh weekly... much better for my psyche!

keep your eye on the long term goal!
  • seandcarey
    seandcarey Posts: 7
    Options
    Remember that your body is 70+% water. So drinking water can make you weigh more. Work hard and eat right and the weight will follow. You typically lose fat in the places you don't want it to go away (breasts, arms, butt) and not your stomach to start. People focus to much on the weight too much. It doesn't matter how much you weigh as long as you're working towards you end goal. I'd recommend weighing in less and focus more mentally on how you feel about yourself.

P.S. you also put on weight when you are stressed.

Sean
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Do not get caught up in day to day fluctuations. I'm lighter than you, and male, and I can pee out 6 lbs in a matter of 6-8 hours. Water weight causes weight fluctuations and if you way yourself daily you will sometimes get confused by this. (And being female you can probably retain even more).

If your weight stalls for 4+ weeks, then start looking at potential modifications to your method/plan. Anything less than that, I'd ignore it.

^^this (well, except for being a male bit).

Also, remember, when you eat, you are adding weight.