Caffeine

Options
13»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Studies I had read all said the exact opposite should happen, but it turns out my body is just completely backwards .. probably explains why I am always talking out of my *kitten*.

What studies did you read that said this? I've always heard the exact opposite. Certainly you don't want to get too much caffeine, but caffeinated beverages such as tea or coffee boost your metabolism briefly and can aid in weight loss.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know if this speaks to your situation, but for me, it's either go to the doctor for antidepressants, or drink coffee.

I drink coffee.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    caffeine is god, you heathen.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Studies I had read all said the exact opposite should happen, but it turns out my body is just completely backwards .. probably explains why I am always talking out of my *kitten*.

What studies did you read that said this? I've always heard the exact opposite. Certainly you don't want to get too much caffeine, but caffeinated beverages such as tea or coffee boost your metabolism briefly and can aid in weight loss.
    He already provided them if you scroll down. Although I wouldn't exactly call them studies.
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a CNS stimulant, which means it increases metabolic rate and decreases appetite. So yes, it can be helpful for weight loss. Also, coffee is the nectar of the gods. In general, recent studies have shown positive health effects at reasonable intake levels. It is also 0 net calorie (if consumed black, as is proper).

I second his sentiments!

Agreed. Coffee IS the nectar of the gods and I wouldn't stop drinking it for anyone or anything - including if it was said to hinder weight loss. Sorry weight loss, nothing personal. I just love coffee more.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    caffeine is god, you heathen.
    It is the elixir of youth and vitality.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I don't see how either of those articles are relevant to your concerns of caffeine aiding in weight gain. Also, insulin resistance is usually a good thing while dieting.

Insulin Resistance ***is not and never will be*** a good thing - it is the worst thing to be battling while watching your intake.

These are references that the physicians I work for, and see as a patient, give to their other patients for easier understanding on the reasons why insulin-resistance is a major health issue.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/insulin-resistance-syndrome
    http://diabetes.webmd.com/tc/insulin-resistance-topic-overview
    Sorry, but you're completely wrong. Insulin is vital in energy partitioning, hence the use of clenbuterol+ephedrine in bodybuilders to induce insulin resistance. This is a simple scientific fact.

For a bit more clarity: Insulin tells the body to store excess energy as fat. Insulin resistance reduces that effect, allow for better conversion of energy to muscle, and reducing fat gain in periods of caloric surplus.

The reason insulin resistance has a bad rep is because of its occurrence with diabetes/morbid obesity. There is a huge difference between stimulation of insulin resistance for a period of hours/days/weeks, and chronic insulin resistance, which I thought would be apparently without statement.

If you are trying to lose weight, or build muscle without adding fat, it is advantageous.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight, or build muscle without adding fat, it is advantageous.
    To be clear, for the latter, it is only advantageous to be insulin resistant in the fat cell. Ideally you'd want the muscle cell to be insulin sensitive.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You've probably replaced caffeinated drinks with non-caffeinated ones like juice which are high in sugar and calories. Caffeine in itself doesn't make one gain weight so I'm not sure why you gave it up?

Actually I replaced all beverages, was trying to just drink water. Yes, I failed in that, and did have some juice here and there, but I was giving it up because I am not a coffee drinker. I hate coffee. So for me caffeine meant diet pop, aspartame etc, which also brings with it the long list of evils.

There are lots of studies out there that say caffeine screws with your insulin levels, and that essentially it will make you gain weight. There are also studies that say people that wear plaid are happier than people that don't, but I am not running out and buying a kilt any time soon. My point is that I don't put a lot of faith in studies, I try to listen to my body, and my body likes caffeine... and butter

citation of these 'studies'?
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is my poison. I like it best in coffee form, but will take it any way I can get it. And since I just quit smoking 3 weeks ago, I prefer mine via IV Therapy. LOL I think drinking coffee makes me eat less. If I crave a sweet...I drink coffee, if I feel like snacking...I drink coffee, if I need my lazy *kitten* to get exercising...I drink coffee.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    To be clear, for the latter, it is only advantageous to be insulin resistant in the fat cell. Ideally you'd want the muscle cell to be insulin sensitive.
    Indeed, this is correct.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Im with the guy that would pick caffeine over weight loss of forced to choose. I drink and love diet coke. Was actually talking to a coworker about this today because I'm trying to get down to a single bottle a day by drinking more water and failing. It's really only a half hearted effort though