Homemade Angel Food Cake with Sticky Frosting

Options
Recycledsinner
Recycledsinner Posts: 11 Member
If any of you like cake, I encourage you to make a homemade angel food cake to the boxed recipe and then find a box of Betty Crocker Fluffy White Home Style Frosting Mix. It can be a bit tricky finding this. Some krogers and local grocers still carry it. You can usually ask a store to stock it. If you have more than one kroger, go for the one that has a larger variety (i.e. more specialty items). If all else fails and you know from past experience you like it, get it on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/Betty-Crocker-Frosting-Fluffy-7-2-Ounce/dp/B000EMQF8K It's fat free and you just add boiling water and beat it. It's made from powdered sugar and powdered egg whites. It has 800 calories for the whole recipe, but when you add the cake and icing together (and the icing makes a HUGE amount--enough to ice the entire giant angel food cake inside and out), it's a little under 200 calories for a 1/12 of the cake, which is a large slice and will defintely not leave you feeling deprived in any way. Just thought I'd share!

P.S. Don't you dare put the icing on a store-bought angel food cake. The homemade cake is SO much better...words can't describe how much better. The box just requires you add water and beat it with a stand/hand-held mixer. You truly can't mess this cake up. The only other thing to keep in mind is that it needs to cool upside down, otherwise it will fall and nobody wants a dense angel food cake. Let me know what you guys think! :o)