Having bathroom issues...

Options
So, I have noticed since I have started losing weight that I am having more and more trouble using the restroom, but the thing is that I take a fiber supplement everyday and yet still I find myself relying more and more on laxatives because I am uncomfortable...is anyone else having these issues? And any advise for a girl like me?

Replies

• MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Are you eating "natural" fiber in the form of food too? Also, lots of water.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Happened to me the first week or so, but it passed (pardon the pun)
  • Collinsclan22
    Options
    Do you feel constipated or just not having to go as often? If you are eating healthier and exercising more, perhaps your body is using more of the food your are consuming and having to expel less? Also, be careful with the laxatives. A gentle stool softener is much safer, taken every 12 hrs as needed.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me once that too much fiber slows down the digestive system and, yes, makes it harder to use the bathroom. She said that, until we get to an older age, we don't need a significant amount of Fiber but should still with a multi-vitamin instead of high fiber foods/supplements.
  • kim8184
    kim8184 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Had the same issue when we started to eat clean. The only thing I can tell you is that your body will need to adjust, eat fiber in the way of veggies and drink a lot, and I mean a lot of water, this will def. help. I didn't at first, just kept it at 8-8oz. glasses a day. Well that wasn't enough for me, so I started to drink half of my body weight in oz's of water. Hope this helps.
  • Motivation
    Motivation Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    it would help if you open up your diary so we could see if it's something in your diet. You might not be getting as much fiber as you think. Most fiber supplements only give you about 5 grams of fiber, make sure you are eating lots of the leafy green stuff and iceberg lettuce doesn't count. lol :P
  • cairoqueen27
    cairoqueen27 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you have to take fibre supps, but usually if you are eating lots more healthy foods they have natural fibres in but need lots water to help them digest.So try to avoid laxatives and instead drink plenty of fluids. Its a similar problem to "holiday tummy" the change of diet causes problems for a short while. Things usually settle down on their own. Good luck on your weight loss.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    eat more fiber from food, that is what I did I try to get 25-35 grams at least per day: avocado, peaches, apples, red beans are good sources Also you will need to drink a lot of water
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    More fruits and veggies. I juice green juices a lot, once drinking those I never have issues. HAHA!
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    1) lots of water!
    2) make sure you are tracking your fiber intake from food on MFP and see if you are high/low/meeting goal!
    3) if all else fails .. i swear by 2 tbsp psyllium husks mixed in warm water before bed!
  • kmjacobs93
    kmjacobs93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day and lots of leafy greens..
  • DrRazamataz
    Options
    As people have said: Eat more fiber. Drink more water.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Lots of water....fruits & veggies, and you'll be fine : )
  • grapeeyes1
    grapeeyes1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Before MFP I was in the bathroom all the time and had constant diarrhea. Now there is less fat in my diet and at first I was constipated. Now I feel like a normal person and go less often. Your body is adjusting to getting healthy. I do not take fiber supplements, I eat fiber in the form of foods. Good luck on your journey!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Maybe stop eating the fiber, and trying an enema.

You will feel more relaxed and cleaned out.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    No but do you get enough water? More fiber needs more water or it will backfire.
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    You need loads of water to flush out the fiber
    Also exercise helps :)
    Try not to rely on laxatives too much, try not to take any unless its been like 3 days.
    Stool softeners are better, but they also need water intake to work.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Fiber without adequate hydration will plug you up more.

Plenty of fiber, plenty of water, and plenty of movement.

ETA - you do need adequate fat intake as well.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you have increased your fibre then you need to increase your water
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    LOTS OF WATER but also I found a natural tea called smooth move. I felt weird buying it but you drink a cup at night before bed and in the morning ta da no more issues. I take that and a fiber supplement because other wise I am like a snake and almost never go!