Eating habits drastically changing soon ...

Options
LadyZoe
LadyZoe Posts: 36 Member
Well, after a bit of researching I have come to the conclusion that I will be changing my eating habits even more than I already have.
And sooner than later. *lol*

I had already resolved to eating healthier and exercising more while trying to get back into shape.
But I hadn’t even thought about all the extra changes necessary when I get my braces on in 9 days.

OMG there are a lot of things to avoid with braces!

Hard foods- Anything that is hard cannot be chewed with braces on. Braces are fragile, and strong forces from hard foods will break them off. Damaged appliances will extend treatment time. Extended treatment time will increase the risk of cavities and stains on your teeth.

Sticky foods- Braces can be pulled apart with sticky foods. Again, this could extend treatment time.

Anything high in sugar- Braces make it harder to keep your teeth clean. Sugar will feed the bacteria that cause cavities. If you do eat any foods high in sugar, brush your teeth immediately.

It'll be about 2 years worth of wearing the braces, as long as I follow the food/care rules. Apparently braces will do my diet a bunch of unplanned good. *laughs*

It will be interesting for the first few months or so, as I play with acceptable food ideas and adjust to not having certain things I am used to.

I think this will be a very good thing..... Both for my teeth and my health/diet.

Replies

• LadyZoe
    Options
    Well, after a bit of researching I have come to the conclusion that I will be changing my eating habits even more than I already have.
    And sooner than later. *lol*

I had already resolved to eating healthier and exercising more while trying to get back into shape.
    But I hadn’t even thought about all the extra changes necessary when I get my braces on in 9 days.

OMG there are a lot of things to avoid with braces!

Hard foods- Anything that is hard cannot be chewed with braces on. Braces are fragile, and strong forces from hard foods will break them off. Damaged appliances will extend treatment time. Extended treatment time will increase the risk of cavities and stains on your teeth.

Sticky foods- Braces can be pulled apart with sticky foods. Again, this could extend treatment time.

Anything high in sugar- Braces make it harder to keep your teeth clean. Sugar will feed the bacteria that cause cavities. If you do eat any foods high in sugar, brush your teeth immediately.

It'll be about 2 years worth of wearing the braces, as long as I follow the food/care rules. Apparently braces will do my diet a bunch of unplanned good. *laughs*

It will be interesting for the first few months or so, as I play with acceptable food ideas and adjust to not having certain things I am used to.

I think this will be a very good thing..... Both for my teeth and my health/diet.
  • LadyZoe
    Options
    I don't know if I had added this, but I'm 5'1" and 185 pounds so I am soooo greatfull for everything that will help motivate me to get into better shape.!
    I'm trying for 135 pounds.
  • tammylee
    Options
    My daughter is in her 2nd year with braces. She was already thin, but she is now 13yr and when I last weighed her she was 107. Thas not bad, but she is tall (5'6). She has done good, and the longer you have them on the easier it gets. At this point, she still cant eat stick foods and we watch the hard things, but anything else is fair game.

Just look on this as an opportunity (or excuse) to tell yourself that sweets are NO GOOD! You will be suprised at how easy it will be when you set your mind to it.
This discussion has been closed.