I can't believe it . . .

fitgal411
fitgal411 Posts: 668
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I had 2 servings of Ocean Spray Craisins, and the sugar content was over 50 grams! That's about twice as much as MFP says I'm supposed to have!:noway: Is that bad? But it's from fruit, so . . .

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,136 Member
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I gave up craisins in favor of apples and bananas because of the sugar. I think craisins may have added sugar because cranberries are pretty sour naturally. :bigsmile:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    http://caloriecount.about.com/raisins-craisins-sugar-q5687

Raisins are made by drying grapes in the sun. The drying process concentrates the natural sugar in grapes to make raisins taste much sweeter. Craisins are also dried but since cranberries are extremely tart, they are soaked in corn sugar syrup first. Raisins and craisins have a similar nutrient profile and make a healthy snack and ingredient. Both are very high in sugar and so the serving size is small - 2 tablespoons of raisins or crasins equals one fruit.
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    They are SO high in sugar! You might as well eat a Snickers that has 49grams! I mean nutrition wise the craisins are better types of sugar, but still sugar!! It is better to eat lower glycemic index whole fruits like a pear or apple instead of dried.
    150768.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Oh, and I just forgot about my sugar problem until I saw this thread again, AFTER I polished off a Yoplait yogurt that had 14 grams of sugar!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    It's amazing what you find when you become mindful of it and begin looking for it. I looked at my fat consumption after I started wondering why my weight loss stalled for a 3rd time in one year, - took about 50% of my fats away from my lunches (where they were very heavy!) by changing my diet again, and voila! Another 4lbs gone!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Fresh is always better! Dried fruit should really be saved for special occasions like camping.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I have been way over on my sugar ever since I started on this board - but it has not seemed to hamper my weight loss at all. I began a little over a month ago, and I've lost 17 pounds.

My sugar comes from fruits for the most part. I eat very little - to no breads recently.

I'm no expert, but I know there is a difference between Fructose (sugar in fruits) And sucrose (refined sugar). But then again High Fructose Corn syrup is bad for you.

It's all very confusing, but as I said, my sugar has been WAY over every day, even though I don't eat candy or refined sugar. But I am not giving up my raw fresh fruit. No matter how 'over' I go.
This discussion has been closed.