Runners - tips for your first race

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
Beginners, what questions do you have about your first race? Experienced runners, what do you wish you'd known before your first race?

In today's blog I jotted down a few ideas of things I really wish someone had told me before my first race:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-before-my-first-race-266231

20 things I wish I’d known before my first race

Race season is now firmly underway. If you’re a new runner following a programme like Couch to 5K (C25), chances are you’re considering your first race this summer. Go for it, nothing is more inspirational or motivational than taking part in an event with lots of other runners!

To ensure you cross that finishing line with a big smile on your face and eager to enter the next race, rather than purple in the face and swearing “never again”, I’ve put together some tips I wish I’d known before my first ever race. Hope they help!

1. Make sure you can run (or run/walk, walk, hop, space-hopper bounce or however you intend to do it) the race distance. Sounds obvious, but many training programmes, including the sainted C25K, work by time and not by distance. If you’re a more stately runner like me, you might find, say, a 5K takes you 40 minutes plus, not 30 or less. Map out a route of the distance using a program like MapMyRun or drive it using your car’s odometer to make sure you go the full distance during training.

2. Prepare for the terrain of the course. The race information should give you some information, if not check it out using Google Maps or similar. Running on flat pavement won’t prepare you for a hilly off-roader, and the treadmill will never, ever fully prepare you for running outside.

3. If you’re in the market for new shoes, get them at least two weeks beforehand. Though you should never need to “wear in” running shoes, you need to make sure they’re right for you and any niggles are sorted.

4. Do your last long run at least a week before your race. Leave a couple of days of no running before the race itself so your legs are at their most energetic.

5. Bearing in mind point 4, if you do get itchy feet the day before, have a short jog to assure yourself your legs still work.

6. Don’t wear, do, eat or drink anything new the day before or on race day. Do at least one training run in exactly the kit you will be wearing on race day.

7. You don’t need to carbo load or eat anything special before a race up to 10K. Have something for dinner you know sits well with your stomach, and eat relatively early so you don’t have indigestion and a bad night’s sleep.

8. Lay out all the kit you need the night before so you don’t have a panic in the morning. Double-check you have the race directions and your number to hand.

9. Leave about an hour earlier than you think you need to get there. Big races attract a lot of traffic, public transport can be unreliable, the car park can be a long way from the start and you don’t want to be running just to get to the start line.

10. Join the toilet queue as soon as you get there. Even if you think you don’t need to go, you will once the excitement kicks in.

11. Be realistic about your start position. Don’t go right at the front unless you’re in with a chance of winning it – that extra few seconds of official timing won’t be worth being jostled to the back and how demoralising that can feel.

12. Most 5Ks and many 10Ks will not provide water stops. If you’re used to having water for that duration, practice taking it with you in a hand-held bottle or hydration belt.

13. If you normally run early before breakfast and the race starts mid-morning, as they often do, practice having breakfast a couple of hours beforehand. Porridge/oatmeal is a good start for many people. If it’s a really long time after breakfast, take something to have an hour beforehand, like an energy bar or a banana.

14. Your race number goes on the front. Use at least three safety pins to secure it from the mid-chest down and make sure it doesn’t rub your arms as you swing them.

15. If you’re worried about being slow, choose a mass-participation race for your first, like Race For Life or Race For The Cure. Sub-200 participants can often mean it’s hard-core.

16. Chances are you won’t be last, whatever you fear. There can easily be thousands of people at a race, what are the chances of being that one individual right at the back? See if the race site publishes last year’s results to reassure yourself.

17. When the race starts, try not to get carried away and go much faster than your training runs. Try to hold yourself back to your regular steady pace - you can always speed up in the second half and save yourself some energy for a sprint finish.

18. If there are cameras en route, smile, wave, and make sure your number isn’t covered.

19. You might feel like collapsing after you cross the finish line, but please don’t. Walk around for a bit until you get your breath back and do your normal stretch routine.

20. Have a snack within half an hour of finishing then treat yourself to a nice meal, relaxing shower or bath, tell all your friends and bask in the glory. Congratulate yourself on a job well done. Your first race time will always be a Personal Best (PB)!

Bonus: 21. Start searching for the next race you can’t wait to enter! Congratulations, you're now a racer!

This was a follow up to "20 things I wish I’d known about running when I started". Chances are it'll be another year until the next "20 things" blog!
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Replies

• yourfriendchuck
    yourfriendchuck Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Great post Berry.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Bump - s.b. required reading for new runners & a good refresher for those of us who've been around the block a couple of times.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    A guy on my favorite running board penned a similar post years ago. It's still a good read and he says a lot of the same things you mention, Berry, plus a few other gems:
    http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/ff8ccd5258d54087a6f79e59a81ff878
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    These are WONDERFUL tips!

I ran my first race, a 15K last weekend... Funny thing, not having read any "tips" like these, I actually followed these to a T somehow and placed in the top 10 female finishers :bigsmile: (albeit, there were only 30ish female participants who finished the 15K, I was a very happy lady... about 150 for the 5K)

*a good nights rest, gear already laid out, a breakfast of steal cut oats and early to the event area were keys to my success.

ALSO, two other things that I believe REALLY helped me was to have my music ready to go and within the first few miles I found another racer to pace with... this was tremendously helpful and motivated me to keep going... and not slow down!
  • urasweethart
    urasweethart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much that was a great read. I did my first 5k this year I did go with Race for a Cure. it was funny how simple the saftey pin tip is but i so wish i would have known that before I started my number kept flapping in the breeze lol

I havent picked the next but will definetly train to run/ jog the next. I walked the last but was still able to do it under 40mins so I feel I can step it up a bit.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Great tips, Berry. Here's a few more that are fresh in my mind after a 14km "mass participation" race on Sunday (over 20,000 people!)

21. Read the race info to see if they have a baggage drop option. If so, think about whether you need to use it. I queued longer to drop my bag than for the toilet at my race last weekend. Having said that, I'm glad I did, because it was chilly when I left home at 6am so I needed an extra layer to keep warm before the race started.
    22. Wave and smile and say "thank you" to the volunteers as you go by. They have got up at the crack of dawn to stand around by the side of a cold or wet or hot or windy road, just to help you out.
    23. Don't be worried about taking walk breaks. You'll see people walking at all stages of a big race, so if you need to walk for a while to finish the distance - it doesn't matter. There were 12 money prices at my race, so that meant the other 19,988 of us were in it for the fun, not the glory or the money!
    24. If you like music to run by, try having your headset in one ear only. This makes it easier to soak up the atmosphere around you and enjoy the ambience, the cheers and any along-the-way entertainment.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Great tips! Bump!
  • BerryH
    Options
    A guy on my favorite running board penned a similar post years ago. It's still a good read and he says a lot of the same things you mention, Berry, plus a few other gems:
    http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/ff8ccd5258d54087a6f79e59a81ff878
    Love the ones about the TP and the watch! It also reminded me that you should check whether MP3 players are allowed if you're used to running with one. They're not always permitted, but you seldom need the distraction when racing.
  • BerryH
    Options
    I ran my first race, a 15K last weekend... Funny thing, not having read any "tips" like these, I actually followed these to a T somehow and placed in the top 10 female finishers :bigsmile: (albeit, there were only 30ish female participants who finished the 15K, I was a very happy lady... about 150 for the 5K)

*a good nights rest, gear already laid out, a breakfast of steal cut oats and early to the event area were keys to my success.

ALSO, two other things that I believe REALLY helped me was to have my music ready to go and within the first few miles I found another racer to pace with... this was tremendously helpful and motivated me to keep going... and not slow down!
    That is so completely brilliant, congratulations!

Good tip about pacing. If you can't find anyone going at the same speed, finding someone to catch is always a great target!
  • BerryH
    Options
    Thank you so much that was a great read. I did my first 5k this year I did go with Race for a Cure. it was funny how simple the saftey pin tip is but i so wish i would have known that before I started my number kept flapping in the breeze lol

I havent picked the next but will definetly train to run/ jog the next. I walked the last but was still able to do it under 40mins so I feel I can step it up a bit.
    The number one flummoxes a lot of people :smile:

Oh you can definitely do it, and you'll smash your PB I'm sure :happy:
  • BerryH
    Options
    Great tips, Berry. Here's a few more that are fresh in my mind after a 14km "mass participation" race on Sunday (over 20,000 people!)

21. Read the race info to see if they have a baggage drop option. If so, think about whether you need to use it. I queued longer to drop my bag than for the toilet at my race last weekend. Having said that, I'm glad I did, because it was chilly when I left home at 6am so I needed an extra layer to keep warm before the race started.
    22. Wave and smile and say "thank you" to the volunteers as you go by. They have got up at the crack of dawn to stand around by the side of a cold or wet or hot or windy road, just to help you out.
    23. Don't be worried about taking walk breaks. You'll see people walking at all stages of a big race, so if you need to walk for a while to finish the distance - it doesn't matter. There were 12 money prices at my race, so that meant the other 19,988 of us were in it for the fun, not the glory or the money!
    24. If you like music to run by, try having your headset in one ear only. This makes it easier to soak up the atmosphere around you and enjoy the ambience, the cheers and any along-the-way entertainment.
    Love, love, love these, thanks!

I do always make a point of thanking the race marshals and as I'm not racing much this season I'm going to volunteer for some local races. Good tip for those of you who are injured but still want to participate!

One thing to add about taking walk breaks is move to the side (the left is traditional) before you slow down to avoid a pile-up behind you!
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    great post thank you, my first ever was a 10k last july, I went off too quickly despite knowing that I shouldnt and I injured my calf.... live and learn! Happy running everyone :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much for sharing this!! I have had to cancel my first 5k race, a park run in Leicester 3 times already due to circumstances beyond my control and have printed this post off!!

There were so many things I hadn't taken into consideration...I will be just happy,happy,happy to finish a 5k :-)
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    These seems like some good tips and my first run this sat
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this - bumping to read properly later on
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I think a big fear most, if not all, first timers have is finishing poorly (or last).

Pick a 5K, 10K, half, whatever program (especially one with speed work: Runner's World SmartCoach, for one) and stick to it and I guarantee you won't finish last or even in the bottom third.

Also anyone planning on running or running a lot: GET FITTED. Proper fitting shoes will help prevent I N J U R Y and nothing puts the kibosh more on best laid plans than plantar fasciitis or IT band crapola

Embrace hills.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Excellent, thank you! I've done one 5k for Race For Life, but have signed up for a more serious 10k....!
  • hellosara08
    hellosara08 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump! my first race is in November--The Zombie 5k. I've begun training now and this is definitely helpful because i'm just starting out. Thanks a lot!