Anyone else here grow tomatoes before?

Options
Alimacoo
Alimacoo Posts: 19
I planted tomato seeds 5 days ago and today I woke up and saw that quite a few of them have grown into little seedlings. I'm not quite sure how to proceed now. Do I water them frequently? I have them in individual 3 inch containers and don't know much about growing things (this is my first time). Any advice?

Replies

• Flamenquero
    Flamenquero Posts: 132
    Options
    We (actually my wife) grow them in the backyard. They are great!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I do! Keep them watered with plenty of light. In a few days to a week, thin out the seedlings so you have just one (the best looking one) in each container. Them you can transplant them to your garden or container. They'll need direct sunlight and a fair amount of water.
  • Alimacoo
    Alimacoo Posts: 19
    Options
    I do! Keep them watered with plenty of light. In a few days to a week, thin out the seedlings so you have just one (the best looking one) in each container. Them you can transplant them to your garden or container. They'll need direct sunlight and a fair amount of water.

Thanks! How do I thin them out? Do I just cut off the weakest looking one? Or do I try to pull them apart at the root? Also, how many hours of light would you say and does it have to be direct sun the entire time?
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    You should just be able to pull them like you would a weed. They won't be very rooted yet. At least 6 hrs direct sun should do it.
  • psychofantasy
    Options
    I snip off the weakest looking one at the base because if roots are tangled, you may inadvertently pull out the good one too. As for transplanting, I snip off all but the top leaves (depending on how tall, maybe the top couple sets) and plant so only the top leaves that are left are visible. The hairs on the stems will form roots, and will strengthen the plant, as well as reinforce the stems. Just keep in mind that they may look sickly for a few days afterward. Just keep the soil around them moist but not wet, and they should be fine. I do this everytime I transplant, and I remember one time I thought one was dead - it was flat, droopy, and looked like canned spinach - I just let it be and three days later, it was perfect again overnight the last day.

Hours of sunlight depends on where you live. I live in Texas, so my plants (when I have them) make do with 6 hours of full sun per day, with shade from the scorching afternoon sun. If you live in a cooler climate, you want to go for 8 hours of full sun for maximum fruit production.