Maximum sodium per day and what it does for weight loss?

Options
I have read different sodium numbers from 1500mg, 2000mg, even 2500mg per day.

Which is best? Does excessive sodium intake really inhibit weight loss?

Replies

• aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    bump
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    That is a good general range for sodium intake. The specific number is personal to each individual depending on things like HBP. In regards to weight loss, the only thing that matters is eating a constant caloric deficit. Everything else is personal preference.

Oh ETA: a greater sodium intake does affect the number on the scale. Drink plenty of water and focus more on things like measurments, how your clothes fit and how you look and feel.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. try it yourself...monitor your intake n weigh daily n find out. i know if i have a treat of steakspice on my steak..i can go up 3 lbs the next day.... sodium does all kinds of things. i prefer to keep my sodium low for high blood presure runs in the family...i am no longer on BP meds and intend to keep it that way ;)
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    My MFP has defaulted at 2500 mgs, and I can definately tell short term if I go over. I was way over both Saturday and Sunday, and "gained" 4 pounds. I kept it at about 1500 today and drank lots of water. I should see the scale return to normal tomorrow or the next day.

A larger problem, as I see it, is that many high sodium foods are also high caloric/high fat. Gives you a double whammy!