Skinny top, chunky legs!!! Help!

Options
I've basically decided I don't want to lose weight around my arms or much of my torso. I need to lose it on my hips and legs. The problem is, although my legs have some fat on them (obviously) they seem very muscly! How can I stop my legs looking so chunky? Exercise only makes my muscles larger!!! I'm relatively boney around the shoulders so it's making me look oddly disproportionate. I heard that you can't do location weight loss. Is this true?

Here are my stats:

H: 5'8" W: 115lb (I'm small boned and yes I know I'm underweight, dont reply if you're going to comment on that)

Macros: carbs 45%, protein 30%, fat 25%. I tend to go over in fat quite a bit and under in protein a lot though.

Exercise: Virtually none! I hate doing it and Im not very motivated to. Much of my exercise involves walking and dancing around the room.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've basically decided I don't want to lose weight around my arms or much of my torso. I need to lose it on my hips and legs. The problem is, although my legs have some fat on them (obviously) they seem very muscly! How can I stop my legs looking so chunky? Exercise only makes my muscles larger!!! I'm relatively boney around the shoulders so it's making me look oddly disproportionate. I heard that you can't do location weight loss. Is this true?

Here are my stats:

H: 5'8" W: 115lb (I'm small boned and yes I know I'm underweight, dont reply if you're going to comment on that)

Macros: carbs 45%, protein 30%, fat 25%. I tend to go over in fat quite a bit and under in protein a lot though.

Exercise: Virtually none! I hate doing it and Im not very motivated to. Much of my exercise involves walking and dancing around the room.

Good luck on your goals of 2012.
  • lorilynnschisler
    lorilynnschisler Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Your arms, legs or torso are not your problem. Your motivation is.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    At 5'8" 115 pounds I doubt you are "chunky". What you probably are complaining about might be flabby legs which is definitely possible if you're not exercising at all and you're most likely skinny fat.

What you really need to do to change your shape and make your legs shapely and smooth you need to lift weights. Any additional cardio and/or losing weight will make them look worse. Best advice I can give you is get into a heavy lifting routine 3-4 days a week.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Your arms, legs or torso are not your problem. Your self concept is.

FIFY. :bigsmile:
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It sounds like if anything you need to gain weight on your upper body - maybe focus on heavy weightlifting and increasing your protein/overall calorie intake to balance out? A lot of women are stronger on the lower body than in the upper body.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Exercise does not make your muscles larger... Girls can't bulk nor can you bulk in a deficit. Plus you are doing nothing that provides muscle resistance.. which means, that there is nothing to make the muscles grow larger.

My suggestion, Eat at a deficit, Lift weights and do some cardio.. and see what happens.
  • Ophelia2013
    Options
    I really appreciate your honesty! I feel the same way. I am asthmatic and although I know exercise is really great for me health and physically. It takes real motivation for me to get moving. I am not a sit around the house type person. I am always busy, but to stop and think I better go for a walk, or ride my bike for 30 min. I don't want to take time to do that, nor do I enjoy it. I say.... let's start out small and try to change our frame of minds. Good luck, I'm with ya girl-friend.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

Here are my stats:

Good luck on your realistic goals of 2012.

*snort*

Not attractive, I know. But that it literally what I did when I read that.

I agree. Eat more, do resistance training. Squats. Lunges. Lift weights. I don't yet, but when I get closer to my goal weight, you betcha I'll be working on my definition.

p.s. You really can't be "chunky" when you're underweight. Like the previous posters say...you're skinny fat from not doing any exercise.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how chunky your legs could be if you're 5'8' and 118lbs... I kinda wish you had posted a pic so we could talk you out of trying to lose any more mass! But really you cannot lose weight in specific places. it just won't happen.

The best advice I can give is to do weight training, especially in your upper body, while still getting a fat-burning workout (cardio). It might help even up your body while you lose fat in the only places you have left. At least that way, you will be building muscle mass so you can still have a healthy body composition and you're not just wasting yourself away.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how chunky your legs could be if you're 5'8' and 118lbs... I kinda wish you had posted a pic so we could talk you out of trying to lose any more mass! But really you cannot lose weight in specific places. it just won't happen.

The best advice I can give is to do weight training, especially in your upper body, while still getting a fat-burning workout (cardio). It might help even up your body while you lose fat in the only places you have left. At least that way, you will be building muscle mass so you can still have a healthy body composition and you're not just wasting yourself away.

here here.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would use weights only your upper body and do a lot of cardio. If you are predisposed to have fairly fat legs, direct weight resistance may make them bigger.

I don't know why this is controversial. Most people who work out find some enlargement. If it's in an area they're happy to build up, it's not a problem. But if you're already concerned about excess weight in one area and have no need for the kind of strength you get from weights I would avoid using them on your legs.

If you do use weights on your legs, don't do the workouts that cause hypertrophy, e.g., heavy weights, 8 to 12 reps, 3 sets.
  • dad106
    Options
    I would use weights only your upper body and do a lot of cardio. If you are predisposed to have fairly fat legs, direct weight resistance may make them bigger.

I don't know why this is controversial. Most people who work out find some enlargement. If it's in an area they're happy to build up, it's not a problem. But if you're already concerned about excess weight in one area and have no need for the kind of strength you get from weights I would avoid using them on your legs.

If you do use weights on your legs, don't do the workouts that cause hypertrophy, e.g., heavy weights, 8 to 12 reps, 3 sets.

If you read the OP, she's not doing anything to cause muscle enlargement.. She said she walks and dances.. how the hell is that going to cause muscle enlargement? I highly doubt she's even retaining water in her muscles doing that.

I'm a pear.. which according to you in previous posts we shouldn't do weight training on our bottom because it will only make us bigger.. well low and behold I do plenty of heavy weight training on my bottom and have only gotten smaller. The bulk people see is fat.. if they lose the fat, they lose the bulk.. that simple.
  • NCVF
    NCVF Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    think about it. probably look like Beyonce or Shakira. I'd love to have that problem. :P
    Do some squats and lunges. Run a little too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,578 Member
    Options
    Try exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should have said more? Here is some further info:

- A couple of times a week I do some aerobics and stretches, including lunching and squats, even sit-ups sometimes.
    - When I say, I walk, I'm talking upto 15 miles a time; the minimum is 6 miles.
    - When I dance I do it vigorously
    - I used to run but I have a bad knee so I don't often want to try that.
    - And I do use some weights occasionally.

I only mentioned my main exercise. I DO exercise but I enjoy it about as much as I enjoy being run over. I just don't do nearly as much as everyone on this site.

As for my legs, they are the shape I want and are very strong, but not the size I want. I said I look "disproportionate". I simply want the same shape but smaller! And for those that said I can't possibly be gaining muscle... the evidence speaks for itself. My legs are really quite toned.

BTW to those people so damn negative.... WHY?! Really? Bother?!
  • dad106
    Options

As for my legs, they are the shape I want and are very strong, but not the size I want. I said I look "disproportionate". I simply want the same shape but smaller! And for those that said I can't possibly be gaining muscle... the evidence speaks for itself. My legs are really quite toned.

Let me say this again slowly.. you. are..not..gaining..muscle. If you are eating in a calorie deficit, and doing weight training occasionally, then it's not muscle. Might you be seeing what muscle is already there? Yes.. but there is no way you are gaining. To gain muscle, would mean that you have to eat in a calorie surplus, do heavy strength training and be gaining weight(since when you gain muscle, you gain fat). Since from what I can gather, none of these things are happening.. you are not gaining muscle.

BTW, people are not being negative.. they are telling you the truth. If you want smaller shaped legs, then get off your rear end and go lift some weights.. end of story.
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm surprised at the negativity on this board, but then I remembered I was reading the MFP forum.

Good luck, I have the same problem so if you find the solution, I'd like to know it!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Some people claim that Pilates extends and refines the muscles. I've never done much, so have no personal experience of this, but might be worth a try. I have to agree with others here though that you're unlikely to be 'chunky' at 115lb. What you may be experiencing is more definition and development in you leg muscles proportionately to your upper body. The simplest/best(in my opinion) way to balance this out is not to try to thin down the leg muscles, but rather to build upper body strength, so that you 'match', and will probably feel less conscious of your leg muscles.

Regretfully, you cannot 'spot reduce' - otherwise my upper arms and legs and lower stomach would all be gone!
  • HeatherLeahxx
    HeatherLeahxx Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Let me say this again slowly.. you. are..not..gaining..muscle. If you are eating in a calorie deficit, and doing weight training occasionally, then it's not muscle. Might you be seeing what muscle is already there? Yes.. but there is no way you are gaining. To gain muscle, would mean that you have to eat in a calorie surplus, do heavy strength training and be gaining weight(since when you gain muscle, you gain fat). Since from what I can gather, none of these things are happening.. you are not gaining muscle.

BTW, people are not being negative.. they are telling you the truth. Why ask a question and then ***** about the answers you don't like? What did you expect us to tell you? If you want smaller shaped legs, then get off your rear end and go lift some weights.. end of story.

If you have nothing nice to say to her, don't say anything at all.....shag off and leave her alone.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Your arms, legs or torso are not your problem. Your self concept is.

FIFY. :bigsmile:

This, but if you're really concerned about looking disproportionate, why not build up your upper body to match? You could go on a bit of a bulk (wouldn't hurt anyway if you are underweight) and lift some heavy weights on your upper body, get some sexy muscles and maybe during that time you could concentrate on learning to love yourself. :flowerforyou: