Intense Leg Pain despite fitness progress...

Options
Hi! Looking for some insight here. I'm currently 319 pounds (down from 360). I spend a lot of time exercising. Workout videos, I do boot camp workouts 3 times a week, I bike both outdoors and on a recumbent bike about 40 miles a week. So, my question is...why is all of this exercise is walking STILL so exceptionally difficult? I try to go for a walk outdoors (or on the treadmill) and by a mile in, I can hardly move. It makes no sense to me. My legs are strong, yet they seize up with pain. Cardiovascularly, I'm doing fine, but my muscles hurt so bad, I feel like i could throw up. And, its not really a pain that I have been able to push through. It keeps going and going for as long as I do. Has anyone experienced this, and what have you done? Thanks for the insight.

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    congrats on your weight loss so far.

I would talk to a doctor about this problem. If you are in that much pain, a doctor will be able to give you the proper recommendations.
  • sniperzzzz
    sniperzzzz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You should not be in pain like that, have you tried swimming instead? maybe just for a while to give your legs a good rest.
    You can burn a good amount of calories swimming.
  • DoozerDMB
    DoozerDMB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good pair of walking shoes? If you have high arches you'll need additional support. Do you warm up first and cool down after?
    Sarah - read this article. Since walking is a load bearing exercise and biking is not, you are using different muscles.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/126399-exercise-bike-vs.-walking/
  • cunnine
    cunnine Posts: 52
    Options
    Please check with your M.D. I have pvd and it only hurts when I walk, once I stop the pain stops. Regardless of what it is yyou should not be hurting like that.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    You should NOT be in this kind of pain. Please stop exercising right now and see your doctor. You need to find out what you can/cannot do safely as far as exercise. Your physician knows your medical history and can best advise you. Good luck!