Where do you measure your waist?

RecliningFigure
RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been reading online that the waist should be measured above the side hip bone and over the belly button. I've also read that it should be measured at the smallest part of the waist (which is often above the belly button, but below the rib cage). It seems to me that both need to be measured and kept track of. I am so frustrated with my body. I thought I had finally accepted my natural belly fat (I grew up thinking my mom was always pregnant, and I have people coming up to me several times a year congratulating me on my pregnancy). The cool thing is that I read I should exhale before I measure (which means I've "lost" 1 1/2 inches just like that). I do the belly button measure. I figure no use trying to fool myself.

I'm wondering where others measure their waist?

Replies

• twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    I measure the smallest part of my midsection-between belly button & lowest rib. Your waist is where you bend from when stretching side to side :)
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    i also, measure rite above my belly button but under my rib cage
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    The main thing is that you measure the same place every time. I use the smallest part of my waist but also measure my stomach and hips.
    Good luck

Have you tried water aerobics or exercising in the pool. It is much easier on your joints.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I do both at my bellybutton and at the smallest point. :flowerforyou:
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    the correct place to measure your waist is at you natural waist which is where you bend when bending to the side. You place you hand on your side and bend and that is where you are supposed to measure from. HTH.
  • RecliningFigure
    gc2052: Funny you should ask. I was supposed to go to a water aerobics class this morning, but dirty dishes called. I like the idea of doing water exercises, but find that the little bit of extra work involved keeps me from doing it: waiting for a lane to open, having to change out of wet clothes, excuses, excuses, excuses. I usually end up doing strength training and treadmill work.
  • jigglybits
    jigglybits Posts: 100 Member
    I always measure just above my love handles:laugh:
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    I measure both!!!! You can add more measurements to your check-in log! hope this helps!:tongue:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    I measure around my belly button, which is not the smallest place, but as was mentioned earlier, I make sure it's in the same place every time, using a mirror to make sure the tape is level.

exercise.png
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Where I bend, but I've heard that 2 inches above your belly button SHOULD be where the natural bend is....
  • RecliningFigure
    neenaleigh: I didn't know that. It does help. Thanks!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I measure my waist at the smallest part of my abdomen, and then I take a measurement around the biggest part. Those are the 2 I keep track of.
This discussion has been closed.