Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

is this site realistic

13»

Replies

• leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    I find the barcode scanner on the iphone is excellent in the app - matches 98% of the time and is accurate. I do think the calories burned is over estimated on alot of items. I think people over use it as well - its fine to log exercise but if your going to eat more because of your logging then it might be leading you down the garden path to no weight loss.

i love my hrm but again take it with a grain of salt. it tells me i burn 700-800 calories at my workout which is great but seriously my tdee is 2700 for the whole day with regular movement. if it was this easy to burn it all then i'd be crazy skinny.

that being said this is the best tool i've used overall.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    For exercise accuracy on calories burned, you can get yourself a HRM! Without one, you can do what I do - I always enter under my actual time of whatever I do. For until I get my own HRM! They make them now that do NOT strap around your chest, just watch style. Shop around.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    The calorie counts are very accurate in my experience, but I find the calories burned to be high, sometimes a little high and sometimes ridiculously high. I use a HRM cardio workouts (run, elliptical, stairclimber, bicycling, fast walking, basketball, etc) and I often take other values from here and reduce by 25-50% just to not overestimate. If you use the HRM regularly you will get a sense of calories burned based on what you do and can use it to estimate other activities more accurately.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    I asked my doctor about exercise tracking on here. He said that's it is inaccurate so don't do it. That was fine by me. I haven't tracked it from the start, yet if thought it was a good idea, I would have done it.

It might be beneficial to track your exercise, not for calories burned, but just for the sheer pride of putting it down and making it official.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    I like this site for the support and it keeps me motivated by checking in, but my question is how reliable is the calorie count of the food, and calorie count for the exercise . For example I went for a walk/jog (wog) and went to log it into my exercise diary, but who is to say how many calories I burned., or if I was going 5.5 mph. I guess I just wish that more people were concerned with what they ear and what amount of exercise they did and not so much on the numbers

I wouldn't be concerned with what other people are concerned with.

I have an android phone and there are many fitness apps which use the GPS to clock your speed.

I do agree with coach about logging it to know you've done it for your pride.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    I don't believe the exercise counts. I'll get way more winded jogging than biking for the same amount of time, and yet the calorie burn will be the same...
  • vdanzl
    vdanzl Posts: 2
    If you have a smart phone or iPod that you can add apps onto, there are many apps that will track your speed and distance. The one I use is Endomondo PRO. I was surprised that my pace was faster then I thought it was.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    I believe exercise matters a lot. I do not believe that I would have had the success I've had without a ton of exercise. MFP is based around net calories so you need to have some idea of what you expend in order to calculate the net. If you stay in a deficit you lose weight but my experience is that if you stay in too far of a deficit for too long then you may well plateau, which for me I got out of by actually eating more and keeping up the exercise. The other huge advantage of exercise is the toning aspect. As you lose weight and inches you'll want to tone the up, plus I believe that if you are exercising regularly and using your muscle then your body is smart enough to burn fat and not muscle. HRMs are available starting around $20 on Amazon, I personally use one by New Balance (I think it was around $60) and a lot of people like Polar and I have a friend that has a Pyle that seems to work fine. You need one with a chest strap (the ones without don't work well in my experience, mine works with and without chest strap but not nearly as well without plus you constantly have to check your HR to make it work). Ideally you should be putting in (and updating) your weight, height, sex and age so it can calculate calories burned accurately for you. There are lots of other features you may like but this is all that's necessary. Mine allows me to set training zones and will track how much time I spend in the zone, over the zone and under the zone as well as average HR. I find this interesting to monitor when I play basketball or other activities like that. That's what has worked for me and what I will continue to do. I guess it may depend on what your definition of exercise is. I really only count exercise activities where I'm working fairly hard and getting my heart rate up, working up a sweat (unless I'm swimming or something) and will feel like I've done something when I'm done. Now that being said when I first started it didn't take nearly as much to feel that way as it does now. I only write this to try and be helpful and share my experience over the past year. I'm not an expert or a doctor but I've lost 100 lbs and I am a firm believer that it is a combination of diet and exercise. I also firmly believe that over time (months, not days or weeks) I have a zone that I need to be in to lose, if I eat too much or too little or exercise too little (I suppose you could exercise too much if you don't allow your body to recover or injure yourself, you do need to take 1-2 days off a week from heavy exercise) then weight loss stops. For example if I were to eat 1,200 calories a day but burn 600 in exercise then I might stop losing weight after awhile and I'd probably also feel tired all the time and have difficulty focusing, however if I ate 1,800 calories per day and burned the same 600 then I'd lose a little over 2 lbs a week a feel great. That's an example based on my own personal experience.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    bump