Baking vegtables

Options
TByrd1325
TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
So I usually bake chicken or salmon with vegtables each night. I'm a single mom so it's not very time consuming.. however, my vegetables are so BLAH. I usually drizzle a tblsp of olive oil on them, but that's so high in calories. Anyone have any suggestions on what to season them with?

Replies

• estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash it comes in a bunch of flavors like garlic and herb (my favorite) and it add not extra salt fat or calories and no MSG to your recipes

http://www.mrsdash.com/products/
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is very good for you though- Dr Oz recommends 1-2 tablespoons per day.
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A little olive oil goes a long way! Garlic powder and rosemary is really yummy on veggies, too.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Basil? Thyme? Tarragon? Onion and/or celery salt? A 1/4 C of minced black olives?
  • click
    click Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    you're gonna have to use some oil, but you can prob cut the amount you're using.

re: in the oven

I like to use romanesco, broccoli (including the stalk which is high in fiber, i peel it and cube it), carrots (super yummy when roasted), kaboucha squash or other winter squashes, tomatoes with onions (and then you can put it on bread or puree it for sauce on meat or fish)... green beans and carrots are a good combo too

something like cauliflower, broccoli, romanesco you could use oil and cajun seasoning, really tasty, roast them in the oven spread out nice and thin about 375 for 20-30 min just keep an eye on them depends how thin you cut it..

others are similar, kaboucha is great with a little butter on top and some honey at the end drizzled.. and it's high in beta kerotine and potassium.

honestly the reason you need the fat is because ..well two reasons
    1) it makes you feel full and signals to your brain you've eaten
    2) it tastes good