52lbs lost...need help

Options
I have lost 52lbs the last year. The last 12 of those came off REALLY slow, but I know that it gets more difficult as more comes off too.

However, I am now at a place where the scale is barely moving and while clothes still are changing, it's not as fast either. I have been running longer distances so I could have gained a little bit of muscle. But, I need some suggestions of other things to try to jump start this again because I think something needs to change beyond what I've done. Here is a list I have tried:

1. I upped my calories about 3-4 weeks ago. I dropped 3lbs at first but nothing since. I've thought about upping again but I don't want to go overboard. I know metabolism needs time to adjust too.
2. I switched up my exercise, 3-4 days a week instead of 7...and also the length of time.
3. I changed my diet a little...not a huge difference, same # of calories just different items.
4. The weather had changed and I noticed I was gulping a lot of water instead of sipping like I usually do...nipped that in the bud when I noticed it.

I don't have access to a gym so I'm sort of limited on what I can do for exercise...beyond running and videos, I don't have much of a choice as new exercise equipment is not in the budget. I live 60 miles from town and only go in once a week so everything is home cooked...there's no going out to dinner or picking something up quick...

I'm not sure what else to try at this point so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• jen9506
    jen9506 Posts: 14
    Options
    From what I have observed from my friends who have lost weight and kept it off, they have ditched the cardio and gone toward strength training. Honestly, I have one friend who never does cardio at all and she doesn't really count calories -- she just eats really fresh whole foods and does Crossfit and she looks amazing. Nothing wrong with cardio -- but it doesn't transform your body the way strength training does. Maybe it's time to reevaluate your exercise routine? If you don't have access to a gym, check out the book "Your Are Your Own Gym" -- you can get it from the library and there's also a smartphone app. It's pretty awesome and proves that you don't need fancy equipment or a gym to build your strength.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll look. although, the app won't help either cuz I have no cell reception at home! :-D
  • jen9506
    jen9506 Posts: 14
    Options
    Yeah I get it. But if you have access to a library, there should be lots of good books about at-home strength training, or even a used bookstore (or regular bookstore) should have some books you could look at. If nothing else, just try doing some squats, lunges, push-ups, and dips before or after your cardio workout and if you do it persistently, you'll probably see a change pretty quick! Seriously, no need for fancy equipment or a dedicated gym -- just try a few things at home for awhile and see what happens. Good luck!! :)
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    A suggestion: Scanning your food diary, you may want to try to reduce the amount of processed food (high in sugar and sodium) and add more whole foods (fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc.). Is there a reason you are not tracking anything but calories? It is true that a calorie deficit is needed to lose weight, but nutrition is also important while working toward a healthier lifestyle. I would recommend tracking carbs, fat, sodium, sugar and protein. Those numbers may give you a clearer picture on what to work on. Good luck to you!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It looks like you're only tracking calories but I'd guess that the things you're eating are potentially high in sodium. You might want to keep that in mind. You should probably be keeping your sodium down below 1,500mg a day.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat ground lean turkey and ground lean chicken. Pretty much no red meat at all. I turned off the other tracking a few days ago just to change it up and track less for a bit. I've tracked all of that for the last year and was pretty much always within the goal without trying.

I eat more veggies than fruits. I've always been that way.
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Consider adding supplements to your diet. They work!

Here is an excellent article on the most beneficial supplements.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-nicholas-perricone/the-top-10-weight-loss-su_b_227618.html
  • Wheatfreenow
    Options
    First off, well done on your success to date. I'm not sure if this will help but a friend of mine found herself in a similar situation to yours and her personal trainer told her to take a week off and just kick back from dieting. No calorie counting, no carb counting, no fat counting, no major gym sessions - just enjoy three meals a day and your snacks but don't obsess about losing or gaining weight. (Of course he did advise her to adhere to the basic principles of healthy eating so she was getting proper nourishment.)

She did this and although she gained 1.5 lbs during that week, when she returned to her program, she started to lose weight again fairly rapidly until she reached her goal. Now I'm not sure of the science behind this "resetting your body", but it sure did work for her and according to her, she's met several other people who have benefited from this trick.

I hope this is helpful and again, very well done on your weightloss!!:happy: