"Diet" Soda Pop

Options

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I guess my two cents is that everything in life is a cost-benefit analysis. What are the pros and cons?

For some a diet soda pro is that it's not a regular soda or a fat and sugar filled coffee product. Maybe the cons are the artificial sweeteners, or the monetary cost, or whatever it is for you. And maybe the pros outweigh the cons, and that's okay.

For me, a diet soda con is that it doesn't provide me personally with anything that I need. It's not nutritious, it's not physically hydrating and I struggle to drink my water, I don't need to drink anything that's not water. So for me, and me personally, the cons outweigh the pros.

It sounded like the original post was looking for some reasons to avoid the soda, and I think the thread has presented some. If you keep it up in moderation, cool beans. If you ditch it after your own cost-benefit analysis, yay you.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I cannot stand the taste of splenda and it doubles me over in cramps.

I used sugar twin in my coffee, but then went over to organic cane sugar. I didn't like the taste either so now I drink it sugar free. LOL..

Can't win... but I too love diet coke and coke zero, but I just don't "keep it" so that way I don't drink it!
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    ........ there are somethings that go best with a glass of soda.

Like that bottle of JD you're holding!!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    ........ there are somethings that go best with a glass of soda.

Like that bottle of JD you're holding!!!!

:flowerforyou:

x2
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that if I was going to drink diet soda or use sweetener to use splenda. It's better for you than the other sweeteners and to be honest it does tastse better. Coke make a diet coke with splenda so you still have caffine but if you just like the taste try Diet Rite Zero. It has no caffine, no sodium, and is made with splenda. I'm not fond of the regular dite rite but I do like the cherry cola they have.

Wow, I am shocked to hear a Dr say this..............

Every Dr I know says to stay as far away from Splenda as possible. It is bleached sugar from what I have been reading.

I stay away from all Artificial Sweetners (AS). I use Stevia and sometimes a bit of raw honey or agave nectar.

I like my tea and coffee plain, so I don't have to worry about sweetners for too much anyway.

I just can't get my hubby to give up splenda, so I still have to buy it. I am taking baby steps with him, baby steps.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    a lot of the stuff on aspartame on the internet is from one woman who is a bit of a crack-pot. just be wary of where you get your info.
    Cindy:heart:

Thanks for the info - I tried to find evidence-based scientific information on aspartame the other day and you're right - most of the stuff on the internet is ridiculous. Check out the FDA or Health Canada.

Totally agree that diet pop is not a substitute for healthier choices, but as a treat and in moderation I don't see any harm in it. Just keep in mind that caffeine is an appetite stimulant - I've got to restrict my caffeine for health reasons and have noticed a big difference in being able to stick to my calorie limit. :drinker:
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    okay, and alcohol destroys your liver, cigarettes give you cancer, fatty foods gives you a heart attack, now there saying too much fish is bad for mercury

too much of anything isn't good.....moderation is totally fine
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    okay, and alcohol destroys your liver, cigarettes give you cancer, fatty foods gives you a heart attack, now there saying too much fish is bad for mercury

There is no need to be snarky. I personally don't believe in the moderation is totally fine. But to each his own.

The poster above me mentioned that they could not find scientific evidence that artificial sweetners are bad. They are highly toxic and just as addictive as sugar or drugs.

Actually fatty foods don't give you a heart attack. There are plenty of studies to the contrary on that one. There is even a forum that I recently posted on that gives plenty of information about how eating a moderate fat diet is actually good for you.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Lucky for me I don't like soda, diet or not.

Memaw
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options

I think that's a very important point to remember!
    Another fitness forum I visit had a thread going about conflicting info and how tough it is to know what is or isn't true (ie. soy is good for you/soy causes cancer,etc,etc) The bottom line was just as you said...moderation is the key.
  • Fieldsy
    Options

There is no need to be snarky. I personally don't believe in the moderation is totally fine. But to each his own.

The poster above me mentioned that they could not find scientific evidence that artificial sweetners are bad. They are highly toxic and just as addictive as sugar or drugs.

Actually fatty foods don't give you a heart attack. There are plenty of studies to the contrary on that one. There is even a forum that I recently posted on that gives plenty of information about how eating a moderate fat diet is actually good for you.

wasn't being snarky.....just making the point that everything we eat and drink can be harmful for us....
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    Options

wasn't being snarky.....just making the point that everything we eat and drink can be harmful for us....
    *Understood ur point* and ill admit i even giggled a little bit reading it...because i pretty much do all of the above except eat tons of bad fats...god I'm gonna die at an early age...I smoke too much...i dont drink in moderation when i do drink...and I love eating fish....lol I am royally f'd .....but atleast i drink all the water i'm supposed to drink in a day :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (Oh yes and I touched on the subject of another bad habit that i do as well...."diet pills") :huh: oh and i giggled because i do most of the things u mentioned
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to diet coke. If I didn't drink diet coke I didn't drink anything. Before the holidays I stopped drinking diet coke(cold turkey). Well as soon as holidays came around I started drinking one here and there until I was back to drinking only diet coke.

In january when I started eating healthier I quit again, I have not started back. As I started to lose weight I noticed i was losing weight in my stomach(between boobies and belly button:happy: ), that has never happened before. i just thought since I was older now maybe my body was losing different. A few weeks later I was watching Biggest Loser and the contestants were doing a quiz with Prevention magazine and the question was is Diet Soda okay to drink? The answer was no because it causes belly fat ecspecially in women. So I had my answer to why I was losing weight in my belly first.

Plus if I drink diet coke between my water I will never drink the amount of water I should get in.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    Too much of any food and drinking can also cause belly fat (fat in general)

I make sure I get plenty of water in me a day....I probably drink a gallon of water a day

One can of diet soda is the least of my worries
  • April0815
    Options
    Too much of any food and drinking can also cause belly fat (fat in general)

I make sure I get plenty of water in me a day....I probably drink a gallon of water a day

One can of diet soda is the least of my worries

I'm only speaking for myself!!!!!!! If you want to drink a coke and can balance it with your water go for it. But for ME I don't think it's good. If you are trying to eat clean a diet coke wouldn't be on the list. I also know that many things can cause fat of any kind not just diet coke but I am just responding to this thread about diet soft drinks.
  • April0815
    Options

Also it does "seem" like you are being snarky. Everyone has their own opinion and beliefs, there's no need to be so negative towards other people's comments.
  • Fieldsy
    Options

Also it does "seem" like you are being snarky. Everyone has their own opinion and beliefs, there's no need to be so negative towards other people's comments.

what was I being so negative about? I was just putting my 2 cents in like everyone else. If anything I thought I was giving a positive spin on drinking diet soda.....
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    I'm sitting here drinking my 32oz diet Coke while reading the thread....all the diet Coke talk made me thirsty :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    LOL I laughed when I read that you were drinking diet coke!

Seriously though...

Soda is a treat! Personally I hate the taste of artificial sweetners but I guess I'm lucky like that. Cut down (not out) on sweets and sodas as much as you can and if you're craving something have it, but then resume.

I occasionally drink *gasp* full on sugar Dr. Pepper!!! I probably have a can once a week (sometimes two or three weeks without). Consider all the people drinking two 20-ounces a day. Go ahead and replace the occasional latte with a diet pop! Be bad! :laugh: