Help what to do about co-workers and pot lucks

Options
This can be a big problem for me. I always seem to work at jobs that do pot lucks on a very very consistent basis. There always seems to be at least one coworker if not more then one that is obsessed with me participating in the pot luck. Honestly I dont wish to very rarely are these things full of food that's good for you.

How do you deal with those coworks that push and push until you finally break down and go for the table full of very naughty but oh so good goodies? It's hard to resist the consent "come on have a little" or" there's so much food you have to help". Or just have a slice of cake it wont kill you. I even had a coworker who got so fed up with me saying no thank you that she made me a plate of food. Does anyone know what to do in these situations? How do you shut these people down?

Replies

• NCVF
    NCVF Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my job! I would recommend packing a really yummy but healthy lunch on the days they are doing this. Pack snacks. And do some mind therapy before you go in! lol. Meditate on your goal. I've actually been able to stay away from the PLs lately because I've already told myself in advance, DONT DO IT! LOL!!!
  • MyaTala
    MyaTala Posts: 10
    Options
    I actually tired that. I bring a lunch to work on pot luck days. problem is i work at a school so all the food is in the breakroom and when i sit down to eat my lunch i get those. Put that away and come eat the pot luck or eat that and then come have some of these treats. It's just one day. Sadly though these pot lucks never last just one day lol
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    We have them all the time at my work. If I choose to participate I eat the stuff I can. My co-workers all know I won't eat the cake (even though I am bringing one to work for them to eat tomorrow) so they don't push me to do it. I eat the fruit and veggies and maybe a bite of something else.

I like the social aspect of our get-togethers and don't want to give that up so I have learned to eat in my boundaries. If you don't want to participate then go somewhere else when they eat. If it is too close to weigh in with my MD I skip and just go for a walk.
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would bring a food item or two to the potluck that i can share & that I can have a heaping serving of, like a leafy salad, a vegetable dish or a quinoa salad. That way, you are participating & you can show how healthy food can be tasty, too.

At work, one of my coworkers is a gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian. Several of us try to bring food items that she can eat, and since there is no meat, cheese, or butter, the food items are typically healthy. Over the past few potlucks, it's gone from a calorie fest to a reasonable indulgence. Perhaps you can slowly instigate change in the quality of food in your office potlucks?

Good luck!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    On occaison I'll skip the potluck altogether, but it is difficult to avoid the social aspect of it. I'll sign up to bring something that I know I will eat, usually some sort of protein or stand alone dish. I will then eat that, and possibly any other clearly healthy options (e.g. salad, vegetable soup, fruit). This way I am in full control of what I'm eating, and I know exactly what I am putting into my body, but I don't have to worry about offending anyone by not participating. I pack enough additional snacks to round out my lunch in the event that I only eat the dish that I brought.
    I don't have any issues as far as feeling pressured to eat food that I don't want. Early on I was asked a few times, I've politely refused, and everyone I work with has been pretty accepting. Be firm but polite, and consistent.
  • AshleyNStanley
    Options
    I work at a plant and they always eat out here. Make it known you are trying really hard to lose weight and arent interested in eating anything bad. It was my turn to bring a snack for the night and they wanted pizza and I laughed and said Ok, fruit it is! lol
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    It sucks! I work childcare, parents always bring in treats for birthdays and holidays. We do family dinners, too. I just tell myself before hand how much I'm going to eat and set limits for myself. It's hard and I've fallen into to temptation, lots. Anyways goodluck!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    if anyone tried to convince me to eat something i would just look them in the eyes and say no thank you im pleased with what i picked out, i thought that was the point of a potluck. but of course i would have already visited the desert table anyway :] just in moderation. my work always has doughnut holes and pastries, i just remind myself of how mad i was that i ate some of them the first time i logged the calories.
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    On occaison I'll skip the potluck altogether, but it is difficult to avoid the social aspect of it. I'll sign up to bring something that I know I will eat, usually some sort of protein or stand alone dish. I will then eat that, and possibly any other clearly healthy options (e.g. salad, vegetable soup, fruit). This way I am in full control of what I'm eating, and I know exactly what I am putting into my body, but I don't have to worry about offending anyone by not participating. I pack enough additional snacks to round out my lunch in the event that I only eat the dish that I brought.
    I don't have any issues as far as feeling pressured to eat food that I don't want. Early on I was asked a few times, I've politely refused, and everyone I work with has been pretty accepting. Be firm but polite, and consistent.

^^^^^THIS! The only way to do it.
  • MyaTala
    MyaTala Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks! This has been very helpful =)
  • HeHealsMe
    HeHealsMe Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When I was actively Nursing, EVERY week, without fail was a potluck.

I went to a co-worker's home ( a super dedicated, hardworking, considerate, detail oriented, nurse)
    and saw her kitchen:grumble:
    I had eaten her food
    Needless to say,
    NEVER EVER
    have I eaten at another potluck.

You do not know
    how ppl live
    until you visit them.

Also, the pushy one's:grumble:

."You know, I have joined in several times, and I'm sure I will again in the future, but at this time, I will have to just decline your sweet offer."

"I'm sorry, I can't fit it into my schedule right now, but have fun!!"

"I think I am coming down with something (sniffle) and don't want to spread germs around." :wink:
    "And, you might want to back up a little, 'cuz I'm feeling kinda nauseous right now...":devil:

WORKS 100% EVERY TIME!!!
  • socalmo
    socalmo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When my job has pot lucks, I make sure to bring a dish that I know that I can eat and I fill up on that item, and then get much smaller portions. If it is something that I know I should not have (i.e. macaroni and cheese), then I skip it. My co-workers know that I am using MFP and working toward weight loss goals, and so they're not offended if I do not take anything.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    We recently had a pot-luck for our last night of our bowling league. We brought a platter full of fruit-ka-bobs (skewers) with strawberries, kiwi and pineapple. I ate a couple of them and felt like I was participating in the pot-luck festivities.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    What's a Pot Luck ? I don't think these exist in Australia! :-)
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. Social obligations go out the window when there is an office potluck and my health is at stake.

This is not my best friend's wedding party. Its an office pot luck. Some of which has been prepared by people who, as previously mentioned in this thread, have very questionable sanitation policies.

Y'all have fun and I'll bring my own lunch.

Let'em give me a hard time about not participating. THAT is when you see who your friends are.

Why in the hell should someone in your office give a crap about you participating in an office pot luck? If they don't understand, let'em stand confused.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    What's a Pot Luck ? I don't think these exist in Australia! :-)

A pot luck is when everyone in a group brings a covered dish of food and everyone shares it, making a veritable buffet for the group.

Someone brings green beans and someone brings potato salad and someone else brings a gallon jug of tea. And on and on.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I had a job like this. Healthcare, of course. For the first 2 years, I took the following tactic:

My rule was that I did not eat free/pot-luck food at work. Period. I know it sounds...harsh. But I am a big fan of "rules" to stop you from having to make the decision anew, every single time. I just said "no thanks." The word just flew out of my mouth without me having to ponder it. And kept saying it. And it became really easy, because my answer was always the same. I'd grab a cup of coffee or tea so that I could visually participate, but I didn't touch the food.

Then, in year 3, I took the "moderation" approach. I'd say no sometimes, but sometimes I'd say yes, just to treat myself. And...I gained weight. Because in a place where "free food" is offered all the time, even saying no 80% of the time means that you will still find yourself eating an extra zillion calories more than you should. And here's the thing: you don't really even want it! You're at work, not out with family and friends! Save your "luxury foods" for when you're not at work so that you can really enjoy them.

Its counterintuitive, but sometimes the mindset of moderation just requires too much mental energy (I said no last time, should I say yes this time? I know I shouldn't eat the cake, but its my supervisors birthday, should I eat the cake to be polite?) I go to work to work. Not to eat cheesecake. (that's what I would tell myself in my head. Especially when I really wanted that cheesecake.) And the good thing is, if you say no consistently enough, people will just get use to it and they will stop asking. If you say yes, they will continue to pressure you, again, and again, and again....people really do treat us according to how we behave. Even the annoying coworker who made you a plate of food. Just smile and set it down. Don't say a word. She'll get the picture. Eventually. If you let her force you to eat, she really will keep doing it. And she'll believe she's doing you a favor. I know. Le sigh...
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    my work always has doughnut holes and pastries, i just remind myself of how mad i was that i ate some of them the first time i logged the calories.

THIS! I made the mistake of eating a couple cookies someone brought before I logged them and I was disgusted to realize that two cookies equaled half my calories for the day! arrg.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

this is exactly what i do. i pretty much did this in the past not because of watching what i eat, but because i tend to be really picky about my food.. if it doesnt look right, if i know that person doesnt wash their hands after using the bathroom, or any other thing that makes me not want it, then i'm not going to eat it.

i usually sign up to bring something i know i can eat like meatballs or a homemade bean dip with tortillas. that way i can still participate socially but not have to eat anyone's dodgey looking potato salad..
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    I would take a could yummy but unknowingly healthy dishes. When they have ate it and liked it then tell them it was healthy. I like to make a healthy taco salad.