Knee question

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
I ran twice this week and now my knee is hurting, below the patella (knee cap) I looked it up and seems like chondomalcia........or arthritis. Maybe THIS is why I never ran before:wink:

I am taking advil and iceing every couple of hours.

My question is this:

Is it better to keep it straight, or bent? I keep changing positions but I want it to heal FAST...........I have trainer appts bought and paid for!!

Any help will do!

(jeez, was much easier and less painfull being UNhealthy:laugh: :laugh: )

Replies

• Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/patelladisorders/a/chondromalacia.htm

The treatment of chondromalacia remains controversial, but most individuals can undergo effective treatment by resting the knee and adhering to a proper physical therapy program. Allowing the inflammation of chondromalacia to settle is the first step of treatment. Avoiding painful activities that irritate the knee for several weeks, followed by a gradual return to activity is important. In this time, cross-training activities, such as swimming, can allow an athlete to maintain their fitness while resting the knee. The next step in treatment is a physical therapy program that should emphasize strengthening and flexibility of the quadriceps and hamstring muscle groups. Use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication is also helpful to minimize the pain associated with chondromalacia. Treatment with surgery is declining in popularity for two reasons: good outcomes without surgery, and the small number of patients who actually benefit from surgical treatment.

Hope that helps. I am fortunate that my knees, despite the trouble they've given me in the past, have not acted up through all the demands I have made on them! I had dislocated knees plus surgery when I was a teen, and at times have had pain when the weather turned. Knock on some wood!
    Whenever I was plagued by knee pain, the doctor always told me to keep it raised on some pillows. I cannot even remember why, except to minimize blood flow (?).
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Thanks Russia!! I checked out the site. Think I will save that link for work, too.
    :flowerforyou:
  • AlexaC
    AlexaC Posts: 1
    Options
    It honeslty could just be that the muscles surrounding your knee are extremely tight right now from running. I experienced the same type of problem about 3 months ago. I work in a physical therapy office and asked my boss about the pain. My boss gave me a few stretches to try, and the pain was gone by the time I left work that day. You want to make sure that your quads, hamstrings, and calf muscles are really stretched out.

Stretch your calf muscle by placing your foot up against a wall with your heel placed on the floor while pushing your body into the wall.

Lay on your back on the floor and loop a towel or a belt around your foot and then raise your leg straight back so your foot is parallel with the ceiling. Pull the end of the towel/belt towards your chest. Hold for about 20 seconds and do this 3-5 times.

Also, simple leg lifts will also help if this is your problem. Lay on your back on the floor with your painfree leg bent up at the knee and your other leg with the painful knee flat on the ground. Raise your painful knee leg (bending at the hip) until it is even with your other bended knee. Repeat this 10x and do 3 sets. You can also do this on your side and on your stomach to maximize the move.

I hope this helps you in any way. I thought I had a major problem with my knee, but it was all due to really tight muscles, and I was able to stretch and keep working out. Good luck!

And keep icing it!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Glad you started this thread (as I'm sitting on my couch with ice on my knees while reading this :tongue: ).

exercise.png
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My ganglion usually feels better straight vs. bent. I guess position your knee in the way it feels ok and doesn't hurt:smile:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I had knee problems, and stretching really helped me too. Also, you could take glucosamine with chondroitin, which is for joint pain. One other thing to try is treading water after a jog. That helps me too.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    It honeslty could just be that the muscles surrounding your knee are extremely tight right now from running. I experienced the same type of problem about 3 months ago. I work in a physical therapy office and asked my boss about the pain. My boss gave me a few stretches to try, and the pain was gone by the time I left work that day. You want to make sure that your quads, hamstrings, and calf muscles are really stretched out.

Stretch your calf muscle by placing your foot up against a wall with your heel placed on the floor while pushing your body into the wall.

Lay on your back on the floor and loop a towel or a belt around your foot and then raise your leg straight back so your foot is parallel with the ceiling. Pull the end of the towel/belt towards your chest. Hold for about 20 seconds and do this 3-5 times.

Also, simple leg lifts will also help if this is your problem. Lay on your back on the floor with your painfree leg bent up at the knee and your other leg with the painful knee flat on the ground. Raise your painful knee leg (bending at the hip) until it is even with your other bended knee. Repeat this 10x and do 3 sets. You can also do this on your side and on your stomach to maximize the move.

I hope this helps you in any way. I thought I had a major problem with my knee, but it was all due to really tight muscles, and I was able to stretch and keep working out. Good luck!

And keep icing it!

Good info. I like to DO...that is my nature. So I wills stretch. That is the difference with the 2 days I ran.

Stupid, stupid, stupid..............I always stretch for 10-20 minutes after the treadmill and again after the weights. This time I only stretched at the machine.......because I walked to cool down for 15 minutes so I didnt think I needed to stretch.

Oh man........I bet this is it. Thanks so much!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I had knee problems, and stretching really helped me too. Also, you could take glucosamine with chondroitin, which is for joint pain. One other thing to try is treading water after a jog. That helps me too.

I figure being 48 isnt helping..........I am going to get the joint pills this week. Thanks for this tip.

I wish I had a pool.......treading water is so great for the joints......

• arewethereyet
    Options
    My ganglion usually feels better straight vs. bent. I guess position your knee in the way it feels ok and doesn't hurt:smile:

Oh, I hope I dont have a cyst:cry: . Does yours interfere with your exercise?
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Glad you started this thread (as I'm sitting on my couch with ice on my knees while reading this :tongue: ).

exercise.png

Riding the bike hurts my knees too. I need to adjust my bike so my knees dont come so far up.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I'm betting it's the lack of stretching. I'm like you and usually do it. But then for a couple of days I didn't. Combined with a bad mattress and my right hip was hurting. I went to see my massage therapist and she did some extra massage on my butt and some stretches. OH! it didn't feel the best but my pain is all gone now.
    I started running last year at 48 too! We're almost running twins!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I'm betting it's the lack of stretching. I'm like you and usually do it. But then for a couple of days I didn't. Combined with a bad mattress and my right hip was hurting. I went to see my massage therapist and she did some extra massage on my butt and some stretches. OH! it didn't feel the best but my pain is all gone now.
    I started running last year at 48 too! We're almost running twins!

What is wrong with us:laugh: :laugh:

Our moms moved to the porch rockign chair at our age.......she didnt start up RUNNING for crying out loud!!:laugh:
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    Glad to see this thread. I started running this spring to work up to running in a 5k with my daughter in November. The last two weeks I was running on a regular basis and now both of my knees are aching - I can bike without a problem (fortunately because that is how I need to get around) and walking isn't too bad. I am going to try the stretching exercises and also plan to see my ortho when I am back in the US.. I am 53 and while I have exercised for many years, just started running.
    Chao:glasses:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Glad to see this thread. I started running this spring to work up to running in a 5k with my daughter in November. The last two weeks I was running on a regular basis and now both of my knees are aching - I can bike without a problem (fortunately because that is how I need to get around) and walking isn't too bad. I am going to try the stretching exercises and also plan to see my ortho when I am back in the US.. I am 53 and while I have exercised for many years, just started running.
    Chao:glasses:

How about new shoes?? This was my 1st mile run in my entire life, so my issues are different.

But I wonder if yu are running a lot, if you need to buy new shoes. At the podiatrist, he told me to switch out my shoes every 3 months and that was with walking/slow jog 10 miles a week.

:flowerforyou: J
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    One other idea is to get arch supports for your shoes. Last year my knees hurt and I got arch supports and it really helped. :glasses:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Before you start looking to arthritis as a cause, I would start by looking at basic issues.

Are you using REAL running shoes? Not the ones you get at footlocker by picking them off the wall. The ones you get by going to a running store, getting your foot, arch, pronation, and stride measured by a professional.

Are you stretching before and after your run? This is extremely important. As mentioned above, if you're new the muscles are most likely extremely tight. If you don't have perfect form this will only get worse with time. Stretching becomes critically important.

Are you running properly? Go to the running store I mentioned above and ask one of the sales people to watch you run. You can also contact a local running club and see if they have any clinics. These people want to help other runners - its why they formed the club in the first place.

Check this site to see if you can find your injury:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-241-0-0-0,00.html
    or
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--12819-0,00.html

If none of the above works, go see a doctor who specializes in sports, specifically running.
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    Yes, I am sure that I need new shoes - but have to wait until I get back home to buy them - so for now, a break from running and using the bike / strength training for exercise. :glasses:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Yes, I am sure that I need new shoes - but have to wait until I get back home to buy them - so for now, a break from running and using the bike / strength training for exercise. :glasses:

awesome choice!! good luck and enjoy:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Before you start looking to arthritis as a cause, I would start by looking at basic issues.

Are you using REAL running shoes? Not the ones you get at footlocker by picking them off the wall. The ones you get by going to a running store, getting your foot, arch, pronation, and stride measured by a professional.

Are you stretching before and after your run? This is extremely important. As mentioned above, if you're new the muscles are most likely extremely tight. If you don't have perfect form this will only get worse with time. Stretching becomes critically important.

Are you running properly? Go to the running store I mentioned above and ask one of the sales people to watch you run. You can also contact a local running club and see if they have any clinics. These people want to help other runners - its why they formed the club in the first place.

Check this site to see if you can find your injury:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-241-0-0-0,00.html
    or
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--12819-0,00.html

If none of the above works, go see a doctor who specializes in sports, specifically running.

M you iz da bomb, buddy! Thanks a million............brb....gotta go read!!