What to eat before the gym in the mornings?

Options
So, my normal breakfast is egg whites and toast; however, I am going to begin a morning workout routine and I don't want to consume that early in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can eat that won't make me nauseous, but at the same time fill me up for my workout?

Thanks in advance,
Megan!

Replies

• mangosabayon
    Options
    When I had daily workouts I ate a Special K Protein bar.... I think they are about 170 calories, which is probably more than you want. I was running 3-7 miles 3-5 days/week so calories didn't really matter. However, it really was the only think I could eat without getting a tummy ache or other problems (don't want to get too detailed). They may make something similar with less calories.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    when i work out early i dont eat first...it works for me to eat after.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    some mornings i am good with just some coffee, but sometimes i feel like i need something and usually a small bowl of plain oatmeal is good enough.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If I work out in the morning I don't eat beforehand. I do drink some fluids....
  • Misha41810
    Misha41810 Posts: 22
    Options
    So, my normal breakfast is egg whites and toast; however, I am going to begin a morning workout routine and I don't want to consume that early in the morning. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can eat that won't make me nauseous, but at the same time fill me up for my workout?

Thanks in advance,
    Megan!

Try a fruit smoothie with some yogurt blended in...and try to have a protein shake after your workouts especially if you are using weights to help with muscle recovery. Hope this helps! :)
  • MNchick
    MNchick Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have such a hard time eating in the morning...especially before a workout, but one thing that I was able to handle was to eat part of a pure protein bar (like 1/4 of it) before with some water and then finish it after the work out.

I tried different protein drinks/shakes/smoothies before workouts, but found that if I was lifting heavy or doing something intense (like CrossFit)...I felt more pukey than if I had something a little more solid in my stomach : /
  • Rach911
    Rach911 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I will usually eat a whole grapefruit or some granola before working out...usually 100-150 calories, just to give my body some fuel because I work out shortly after waking up. So little snack, work out and then my breakfast.
  • GrettaBaker
    Options
    I typically work out in the early mornings and find either oatmeal or protein drink one hour before heading to the gym.. gives you the energy needed and doesnt feel like you are working out on a full or heavy meal.
  • callmejessica
    callmejessica Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Usually I will choose from a granola bar, fresh fruit, or oatmeal/cereal and juice if it's super early in the morning. Fresh fruit is almost always my first choice though. :)
  • Mslaught15
    Mslaught15 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions, you guys/gals are the best :)
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Not sure if I understand your post. If you can eat earlier, try that. You may find you need more than egg whites a piece of toast <200 cals to get through that work out. My breakfast prior to work out is typically 500ish cals about 2 hours prior. Works like a charm. If I were you, I'd just continue your normal routine and see if you lack energy or get exhausted well before you think you should. You can always adjust and learn from trial and error.
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a banana or a glass of orange juice for a little energy for your work out. I always find I get a better workout when having something instead of doing it on an empty stomach.