Hula Hoop

Options
124»

Replies

• Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am good at hula hooping (just spinning it) with a regular hoop so I bought a weighted hoop. OUCH!!! My Right hip is sooooo bruised. I tried to tough it out through a second time and it was killing me. The DVD that came with the hoop was broken so in the end I decided to return the thing. I just returned it yesterday and then caught this thread. I am just about 5'4 approx 130 lbs. I have 13 lbs to get to goal weight. Belly is the biggest problem, just had my third baby 8 months ago. I feel like hooping could really help me to re- strengthen my core. Can anyone give me an idea of what size/ weight to use. Do I even need weighted?
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I've gotten to where I can keep it up for about a spin or two. :D Not much progress, but progress nonetheless.

This is great progress, it is a step in the right direction! I burned about 30-40 cals every 10 minutes. I would say probably about 300 an hour of you are just keeping it spinning. The dance, hoopnotica stuff I have NO CLUE! Lol. I sure would like to learn how to do all that though!
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I think what happens with mine is it hits my stomach and suddenly throws off the rhythm--my stomach protrudes a lot and it's high on my body, and I have virtually no hips. So the rhythm I need to keep it going around my upper body is much slower than what is needed around my hips, and the change happens so quickly I can never recover. I can get it going pretty well on the upper part but it goes all to heck on the lower.

Sigh. I just need practice, I'm sure. But I really, really want to use this hoop. I love it and I need it!!
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    From what I've seen on most hoop forums it's not as much of a weight you go for (3lb, 4lb etc) as much as starting with a thicker, heavier tubing (ex 40 in 3/4"160psi). If you google for hoopers in your area you can probably a local person who can make one that would be good for your level/dimensions :)
  • TRISTAR
    TRISTAR Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info. You are saying exactly what the You Tube video showed me, but I'm still not getting it :/
    To keep the hoop up,
    Stand with your right foot a step ahead of your left (this extends your hip out ever so slightly)
    While standing in the hoop place the back of the hoop on the small of your back and hold the hoop at about 4 oclock and 8 oclock.
    Make sure the hoop is nice and level in the front, sides and back.
    Most people are left current hoopers, meaning they push the hoop to the left. Try that direction first.
    So back your hoop up a bit to the right, then with a good hard Level shove, push your hoop around your waist to the left.
    Do this a couple of times without trying to keep it up. Just push it and let it fall. Dont move your hips yet.
    Get used to how hard you are pushing the hoop and see if you can detect a rhythm.
    Once you are ready push the hoop firmly around again, and start rocking back and forth while pumping through your leg. So imaging you have your foot on a gas pedal. You will be able to see your foot going up and down on the pedal while keeping your heel on the ground. Rock back and forth, try not to swivel your body, this will send it down like a corkscrew everytime.
    If your hoop is slowing down, try to pick up the pace. You control the speed of your hoop by how fast you pump your body.
    IF this still doesnt seem right reverse your current....So start at the beginning, but this time push the hoop to the right, and keep going.

If this doesnt help, or if it is confusing, let me know and I can make you a little video. :)
    Dont loose heart! You totally can!!!!!
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hooping is so much fun, I actually go to a hula hooping class once a week and I was horrible at it to begin with but its just practice. I find it easier with one foot forward. If you really want a challenge try 2 hoops on your waist, it helped me improve the number of rotations I could do with a single hoop!

Also you can do more with a hoop than just going around your waist. You can do knees hands foot neck and that's just what I have learnt so far!
  • KayzieK
    KayzieK Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I am new to MFP, but couldn't believe seeing this post!!!
    I love hula hooping. I used to do it as a kid and so it seemed nateral to get one for my son, I was horrified though that I couldn't do it when I tried to show him...a lady came up to me in the shop and told me about weighted hoops - I hadn't heard of them! I went home and got mine from Amazon last year. so now I just put the radio on and start hooping to the music. I usualy try and hoop to 3 tracks in a row which I guess is about 10 mins light hooping. I read the comments etc on this thread and have just purchased Heart Hularobics DVD!!!

I found it fun in the garden with my son but to know I can do "a routine" which will count towards exercise...whoop whoop or should that be hoop hoop!!!

Thank you for starting this post!!!
  • sallyann10010
    sallyann10010 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do the occasional hooping, I made my own, if you go on you tube it tells you how to make your own, also make sure it's big enough for you, the bigger it is the easier it is to do, then you work your way down to smaller hoops.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I just bought a hula hoop in the hope of using it to burn some cals. At the moment, my cals are being burnt from picking it up off the floor :( hints and tips on how to do it properly are very welcome :)
    Hello! I am an avid hooper... got into about 3 years ago and never really stopped or gave up. Best advice I ever got was two things... follow the hoop, don't try to make the hoop follow you... and think isolated body movement. When you are hooping around your hips, you only need to move your hips... if you are moving your arms legs chest etc the different points in your body are throwing off the momentum. Once you learn how to control the hoop on specific parts of your body (hips, knees, chest, arms neck) then you can start incorporating the "flow" or dancing aspect of it. Of course everyone is different, but that's how I did it. Chest hooping was by far the hardest thing for me to learn, and I don't think I would have ever got it if I hadn't learned to do it sitting down (so I could ONLY move my chest). SaFire has some really great youtube vids for beginners, I really like her teaching style. And keep practicing! I had to practice like every day 2 months to figure it out, but once you get it down it seems so easy! Hooping for me is not just exercise, it's very calming to the mind and spirit as well because you have to be very connected with your body. I personally don't like weighted hoops... too easy to misuse and leave bruises all over your body (at least I have seen that happen to some, myself included). I am not sure how far you will take it, but it's actually quite a beautiful form of art... every so often I get to perform publicly... people love it! Especially when they are not used to seeing that type of thing. keep at it hoopers!