Tips for first visit to the gym?

Options
So, my husband and I have been looking at gyms, and we finally found one we like. It's small, well-staffed, lots of machines and not a billion people (even at busy times.) We're going tomorrow night after work for the first time. Does anyone have any suggestions about what a first workout should look like? It's been a super long time since I've exercised, and I'm not sure what to expect--how long I'll be able to actually work out, what defines "cardio," how long do I stretch, how many times a week should I go, etc etc. Any tips, advice, or pep talks would be appreciated!

Replies

• eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So, my husband and I have been looking at gyms, and we finally found one we like. It's small, well-staffed, lots of machines and not a billion people (even at busy times.) We're going tomorrow night after work for the first time. Does anyone have any suggestions about what a first workout should look like? It's been a super long time since I've exercised, and I'm not sure what to expect--how long I'll be able to actually work out, what defines "cardio," how long do I stretch, how many times a week should I go, etc etc. Any tips, advice, or pep talks would be appreciated!
  • Tgeorge
    Options
    Good for you! Having a partner to keep you going to the gym is really a good step.

I have been going to my gym for 3 years and love it. In the beginning... I started off with treadmill just for 30 minutes and fast enough that it is hard for you to talk but you can still breath. I think the warm up on the treadmill is enough and it is more important to stretch after your workout. I now do about an hour to hour and half cardio 4-5x per week and strength 2 x per week and on those days I just do an hour of cardio.

Try 30 minutes on the treadmill at 3.5-4/hour if you can with elevation of 2-5 if you can- if you can't then lower. Remember to do 2 minutes of warm up at 2-2.5 level.

As far as strenth training- most gyms will offer new members a one time only walk though of the machines and how to use them. Try doing arms,shoulders and back one day, legs and hips another and every time do abs. I would suggest at least 20-30 minutes on the strength with lower wieghts and lots of reps. Again do it fast enough to keep your heart rate up.

If your hubby is willing, the medicine ball is great to use with a partner. Again the gym should be able to give you a free one time session.
  • Tgeorge
    Options
    forgot to mention- if classes are offered at times you can go, this breaks up the boarding machine cardio time. I really enjoy spnning and rumba at my gym because it is just different and the music is load and the time goes by faster.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    You should do what you feel comfortable with, preferably like, and can maintain. You can go anywhere from 3-6 times a week. You can do intervals (strong hard periods with rest in-between say going from 3.4 mph to 5mph then back down to 3.4) or you can just maintain. For the first workout, I would try to get my heart rate above 60% for 20 minutes. You can have a 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down - and get 30 minutes in. Later you will go to the 75-85% range or even higher, depending on level of fitness - but I believe in easing into things. You should also do weights, stretch, and work on balance to be considered fit.

Here's the choice: if you only do cardio, your heart will be happy, but your body will be weak and when you are old, you'll have to ask people to pick things up for you. If you only do weights, you will be able to pick things up, but not take them very far. If you don't stretch and work on balance, you will fall over, break a hip and not be able to work on cardio or weights. :laugh:

Once a week for weights will maintain your current strength - more than that will increase your strength, less will decrease it as you age.

10 minutes of stretching a day is enough and practice balance when you can. It doesn't have to be after a workout in my ever-humble opinion :noway: You can do balance anytime as well - standing in line is great - just stand on one foot - when you pick something up, do a one-legged squat. When you get good, close your eyes and balance - a few times a week should be enough.

Was that too long of an explanation?
  • christahollis
    Options
    First off, don't stress out about it.

A good fifteen minutes of stretching is usually good to avoid injury. Some say you should stretch before your work out, others say after your cardio because your muscles are warmed up then. Your choice.

Cardio requires that you get your heart rate up...and most of the machines have cardio programs that are pretty easy...tailored to your abilities. IF you're pretty out of shape...no cardio in a while, take it easy on yourself. 15 minutes is a good time to start with, and you should be working hard enough to make it difficult to carry on a conversation. In heart rate terms, that's like 70% of your max heart rate...I'm 30 and my max heart rate is around 170...that sticks me at around 119 if I'm working like that. (I've been at the cardio thing for a while now...and I generally prefer to work up around my max for the whole workout (But that's me, and when I stared I couldn't even do five minues of easy stuff...so start easy! If you can only do 5 to start, then do 5! Everyone starts somewhere.)

You don't want to make it so hard that you dread coming back.

As far as lifting is concerned...again...start easy! Choose low weight settings, three sets, 10-12 reps per set. This will start to give you a feel for what you can do. Using a notebook helps. Some people separate muscle groups for workouts...but most beginners go with a LIGHT full body workout. That's one to two exercises per muscle group. A lot of gyms have like three back machines, two to three chest machines, and so on...so don't feel like you have to use every machine in the place. And again, you don't want to be so sore that you can't bring yourself to come back to the gym.

And have fun with it.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Don't be shy to ask for specific help from the staff. I spent six months on a treadmill because it was the only piece of equipment I knew how to use.

Also, a lot of gyms have staff that will help you set up a workout plan for free or a modest charge.

:flowerforyou: Have fun!
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I just started with walking on the treadmill because I didn't want to do too much too fast and risk hurting myself. After a few weeks, I had decided that the tendons, ligaments and connective tissue that holds my fat in place had strengthened and I started running. Your goal (for cardio) is to get your heart rate up and keep it there for 20-45 min (depending on which expert you believe).

I'm not worrying about strength training at this time. #1. I hate lifting weights more than anything in the world. #2. My goal at the moment is to simply lose fat. Body sculpting will have to wait until I can see the musculature.

Don't be shy about asking the staff how to use the machines. When I do start strength training, I plan on paying for a few sessions with a personal trainer so that I can make sure my form is correct, I know how to use the machines and I'm doing the exercises that will hit the muscles I want to build.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are easy on the joints, classify as cardio and seem to be a lot easier and less resistance training.
    Many dr's say 30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week for an average person, for people trying to lose weight you better go longer and more often.

Try to do some butterflies, curls and tricep extensions for the arms
    Squats and lunges for the legs, there are also a multitude of different machines
    Rowing machines are good and make you sweat a little too.

How about that?

I break these out into different days at the gym

3 sets of 10-15 usually make you feel the burn
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Another good note to avoid soreness in the long term is this:

When you work out one muscle group, say the biceps, you need to work out the antithesis of this muscle group, so you would have to work out the triceps as well.

Think of your muscles of a balance beam, you dont want one group off balance (worked out more than another) or you will start to notice joint and muscle pain.

Personal trainers are good at setting up a work out routine too

Good luck!:glasses:
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    When I went back to the gym about 5 weeks ago, I started on the elliptical and only went for 20 minutes and it was sooooo hard. I barely got through it. But then I worked my way up to 30 minutes and now I am going for 40 minutes and burning on average 500 calories, so don't push yourself at first. It will take while for your body to get use to it.

I also stretch afterwards. It's feels so good to stretch everything out. I don't like to before because I can't stretch as far.

I then move on to machine weights working my abs, arms, chest, back and legs. I think I hit about 10 different machines weights that work all the muscles. If you work the front then work the back, i.e. I first do abs, then the back machine. Then I work biceps and then triceps, then I will rest my upper body and work the lower... outer thighs and then inner thighs and then back to upper body. It works for me. Just try different things at first and try everything in the gym. You are paying for the membership, you might as well take advantage of it even if you just try it once.

Also, if they have trainers, some gyms will offer a free first time consultation with one of them. Use them so you can learn how to use everything. I see so many people using the machines wrong it drives me crazy. All of the machine weights should have a diagram showing which muscles it works and how to use the machine.
  • sinclairel
    Options
    Good for you!
    Here are some tips I've learned over the years:
    1. Do a 10-15 minute warm up on a cardio machine but save the longer cardio workout for after you've done your strength training.
    2. If you are beginners schedule a few sessions with a trainer provided by the gym. (I did this and the trainer not only showed me lots of new exercises but the correct way to do them.)
    3. Don’t start out too fast. Being a little sore is good, but if you can’t walk the next day you might want to slow down a little. Injuries will really set you back.
    4. Work up to the following per session:
    a. 10-15 minute light cardio warm-up
    b. 50-60 minutes strength training (free weights, machines, calisthenics, etc...)
    c. 30-60 minutes moderate to high cardio
    5. Alternate your strength training focus so you are doing major muscle groups on alternating days. Upper body one day and lower the next.
    6. Meet periodically with the trainer to get new ideas so your workouts stay interesting

Hopefully I didn't repeat too many of the pervious posters' tips.
    Best of luck and I hope you have a positive experience.:happy:
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Everyone has such great suggestions! Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'll let you know how it goes. :)
  • TerriG
    Options
    Does anyone have any suggestions about what a first workout should look like?
    Depends!
    What are you trying to achieve? Weight loss? Weight loss w/muscle gain? Muscle gain alone?

Does your gym have a resident personal trainer? Book a session with him/her to get the best advice as it pertains to you!

Good luck and have fun.:smile:
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    There is a 12 week program for begginners in the February Muscle and Fitness Magazine. It is really great for weight loss and building lean muscle mass.