vegetarian foods you can make and freeze?

Options
pixiesteph
pixiesteph Posts: 17
Okay so i am doing my food shop tomorrow and want to make lots of healthy foods in single size portions so i don't have to cook during the week much. If it is pre-made then i am less likely to throw together something easy but more fattening !

At the moment i am interested in making something healthy with phyllo pastry but at a loss for other ideas...help!

ps. keep it as clean as possible, the less jars the better; fresh is how i like it!

Replies

• popat89
    popat89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    DO you do salads already? They aren't freeze-able but I like to prep 3 days of veggies in one day and portion them out into containers so they are ready to take with me.

Other options that freeze well are home made enchiladas and burritos - because you're making them yourself you can make them healthy easily. Also, pasta would work well too - just load up on the veggies like broccoli, and peppers :) Add the veggies raw and they will cook when you microwave them.

Hmm, phyllo pastry... hard to work with in my opinion and requires oven cooking. Doesn't it get soggy when you bake it then freeze it then re-heat it? I''d love to know what you do with it!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    One of my number one favorite (and freezable) recipes:
    Curried lentil soup with sweet potato:
    basically this recipe: http://www.positivelycooking.com/sweet-potato-and-curried-lentil-soup

(I haven't followed this exact one, but mine looks a lot like this. I use bottled ginger juice if I don't have fresh, and cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper if I don't have fresh ones I don't garnish with yogurt, but adding 1/2 a cup of coconut milk is a perfect addition. Since I like spicy, the sweetness in the coconut milk mellows out the spices and makes it more rich tasting.)

You can use any lentils you want. Red ones cook fastest.
  • sabriel
    sabriel Posts: 46
    Options
    I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but this website works on the idea of making enough food for a month and freezing it. It has a different veggie menu each month.
    http://onceamonthmom.com/
  • gabigoz67
    gabigoz67 Posts: 7
    Options
    FROZEN GRAPES <3 so simple, and so good. Trust me on this, try them!
    And for those cravings every one gets once in a while, some frozen yogurt ice cream. Half a cup of this ice-cream is recommended in this diet im doing to keep you from caving and eating oreos for example.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    How do you do the frozen grape one? And how long
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Dahl - I make it with red lentils, onion, garlic, ginger, fresh chilli...... and whatever veggies are hanging around.
    It freezes really well, with or without rice.
  • pixiesteph
    pixiesteph Posts: 17
    Options
    great, thanks for all of your replies! i especially lie the idea of the dhal and frozen grapes are intriguing!
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    This lasagna recipe is very tasty. Everyone I feed it to loves it! It is so easy and quick to make and very low calorie as well: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03/my-favorite-lasagna.html
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    chiiilliii is like so easy to make and freeze!
    heres the recipe i use

http://kennieskitchen.com/5-bean-chili/

but yeah you can freeze most things, just get them out the night before youre gonna use them and let it defrost naturally rather than using a microwave
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Haven't frozen anything with Filo pastry, but I regularly make, portion and freeze:
    Spinach & Potato Gratin
    Spinach & Cheese Lasagne
    No-Boil Macaroni & Cheese
    Mushroom & Cheese Gratin
    Quorn Fricassee
    And when possible I cook and freeze them in glass dishes with tupperware tops, so I can reheat at home in the oven OR chuck in my bag and nuke them at work :)
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    blackbean soup is easy,vegetarian and freezable
  • t4nn1e
    t4nn1e Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't know how well it would freeze, but..

If you make your own tomato sauce (for example, tomatoes, onions, garlic, maybe a chilli) and then use the philo like a bass. Put the tomato sauce onto the phil base and then top with whatever you want - a bit of mozeralla is nice (not too much, just a bit) and also, peppers, sweetcorn, tomatoes, onion etc.

cook and it'll be like a little mediteranian tart! Very nice!
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    soups and chilis are always great freezable.
    I also freeze roasted veggies (which I roast once a month) because it's too hot to run the oven in the summer.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I like sauteing a white onion & garlic, adding a can of black beans, 1-2 cups of corn, a can of tomatoes with green chilis, and salt to taste on the stove. Freezes really well and goes excellently with brown rice or corn bread!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    My grandmother makes vegetable soup (tomato paste broth) on a regular basis to freeze in little containers. She actually recycled old butter containers and other plastic ware. The soup freezes perfectly and heats right up in the microwave, and it usually stays fresh for months at a time. Cant imagine that any other soup wouldn't be the same. ;)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Most curries (think sauce based dishes, not necessarily what we refer to as the spice, curry) freeze well. Especially if they contain vegetables, beans and or tofu. I make a big batch, portion it out into single servings and thaw as needed. Usually if I have left over rice or quinoa.

This is a link to some curry recipes from Cookinglight.com. I have made many of them. All freeze well.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/vegetarian-curry-recipes-00412000069491/page14.html
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Brown rice -- cook up a huge pot & freeze individual portions. Save a ton of cooking time.
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This lasagna recipe is very tasty. Everyone I feed it to loves it! It is so easy and quick to make and very low calorie as well: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03/my-favorite-lasagna.html

Wow! Thank you! Tried this recipe tonight (except with zuccini instead of mushrooms and no olives) and LOVED it! Wow, so good! Even the meat eaters in my family loved it! Will save this and use again and again.
  • alliegeorge
    alliegeorge Posts: 114
    Options
    How do you do the frozen grape one? And how long

You put grapes in the freezer. Until they're frozen.