Question about net calories

Options
My net calories have been 200-500 lately, is that too low? Im recommended 1780 Calories a day over all (Which I usually consume around 12-1400 calories in food) do I really need to eat that much more?

Its kinda hard getting 1700 by eating for me, but usually when I exercise throughout the day, I burn about 1000 Calories so my net calories become way low. Am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is really way too low.
    First of all, check that you are recording your food and exercise accurately.
    If so, you should either be eating more or exercising less - you can't expect your body to stay healthy and work well when you are giving it practically no fuel to run on.
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Jip....way wrong! Please Net at least your BMR hun, you will fuel your body, have lots of energy and also lose weight healthily.
    :smile:

Go see this group if you are interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

AND

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

:flowerforyou:
  • milleric
    milleric Posts: 25
    Options
    Good lord, that means my net calories have to be 1900! Thanks for the help! Looks like I'll be feasting way more. :D
  • Pebble321
    Options
    Enjoy! It really isn't hard to eat 1900 calories and you don't have to resort to eating junk... unless you want a treat!
  • milleric
    Options
    So I would have to eat 2900 Calories to keep up with my 1900 Calories if I burn 1000 Calories
  • Pebble321
    Options
    If you want to eat 1900 NET, then yes (food 2900 - exercise 1000 = net 1900).

That's why I suggested eat more or exercise less. And check your numbers, that is a pretty big burn.
  • milleric
    Options
    I use sportstracker for mah bike rides, but I should probably assume less (I always say I did less on any exercise Sports-tracker isnt tracking)
  • bluex232
    bluex232 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, it doesn't look like you are neting that low, but you do have quite a few left over calories, you want to at least come close to your 1780 that MFP picked for you. If you are exercising 1000 calories each day then you would want to actually consume about 2780.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Im still 245lbs. I burn 700-1000 on exercise per day. My dietitians and weight management doctors tell me to eat 1500 and only eat exercise calories if im hungry. Note this is because im still so heavy and under supervision, but its not a one way fits all. Ive lost 56lbs this way! X
  • milleric
    Options
    Yeah, its only been happening the past couple of days, and it seems normal to me, I was pretty much forcing myself to snack to gain extra calories to not keep my net so low. Now I'm just eating all I can eat before I take my bike ride later, then after riding just eat what I have left over in calories. (Also, MFP picked 2090 for me, but I wanted to do weight loss so I took it closer to my BMR)

Thats pretty much what I was doing, Zara, I went from 225 to 205 and now Ive been going back and forth from 205-208 for the past week so I'm assuming im plateauing. Congrats on your weight loss! Glad its working out for you