Those in the UK - Salad help please

Options
2»

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I work near a Morrisons so sometimes grab the feta and olive salad or the tuna Nicoise (although I have to pick the new potatoes out of this if I'm doing a lower carb day). My usual fall back at any supermarket/city centre Tesco Express etc, is to grab a plain salad bowl and a pack of ham, chicken or cottage cheese to throw on top when I get back to the office. I tend to avoid the salad dressings that come with the salads and they are usually loaded with sugar - I just have bottles of white wine vinegar and olive oil in my desk at work. I also keep a bottle of dried oregano at work - sprinkled over salad it reminds me of hot summer holidays in Greece :)
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about preparing your own salad and taking it to work with you? You will have far more control over the contents if you do this and it will definitely work out cheaper.
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yeah Subway salad bowls are the BEST!

M&S do good salad bowls too and then I just throw some chicken in.

Do you have a fridge at work, I sometimes just buy a bag of leaves, some tomatoes and Cucumber and leave them in there and then make a fresh salad at lunch!
  • Ironphoenix
    Ironphoenix Posts: 36
    Options
    There are some really good ideas on this thread, well done everyone :) I personally make two days worth of salads at a time. I cook all my meat on a Sunday and freeze it in portions, I have tins of tuna at the ready (with ring pull tops) and I'm good to go. Planning ahead makes a big difference. However I agree with subway and M&S do good salads. M&S do a great superfood salad with quinoa mmmmm nice amount of protein in it too :) x
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    There aren't many of them around, but if you can find a branch of Chopp'd, you can get essentially a bespoke salad with your choice of ingredients. It's quite expensive, but worth it perhaps if you want to avoid anything in particular.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Thanks all. Need to rethink what i have i think. I love toast in the mornings but i like having a sandwich at lunch too. damn carbs! xxx
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Need to rethink what i have i think. I love toast in the mornings but i like having a sandwich at lunch too. damn carbs! xxx

Ha ha! When nothing but bread will do I either have a couple of Ryvita with eggs for breakfast (fewer carbs than normal toast) or a Discovery wholewheat tortilla as a wrap for lunch (it's smaller than most, so fewer calories and carbs). The tortillas also make a fab base for pizza for tea with a big salad.
  • nancyaaa
    nancyaaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, very helpful :)