Do you set goals and treats

Options
junepinktigger
junepinktigger Posts: 88 Member
I was speaking to a friend last night and she was asking me about my weight loss journey... whilst we were talking she asked what my goals were and i said to loose the weight and i had nothing set as in have to have it done within a time limit.

She suggested i should aim small and reward when i get there, does anyone else do this?

i wouldn't know where to start. but would be interested to know what others do x

Replies

• _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Yes. For every 30 lbs I treat myself to something. I just bought me some diamond studs. Next reward will be some expensive cologne.
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I set myself goals and treats. It gives me some incentive.
    Every week I put £4 in money boxes. £1 in the stone (14lbs for non-brits) box, £1 in the halfway there box, and the final £2 in the target box (Once I am past half way £2 will go in the target box).
    When I reach each stone I get the money in the first box, when I reach half way I get the money in the second box, and when I reach my target I get the money in the end box.

Got 10 stone to lose in total, which is 140lbs, and I've lost 25lb so far. Reckon there will be over £400 pounds in the final box by the time I reach it which will be enough for a really big treat.

I worked out that at over £4 a week to go to a slimming club, I might as well save my money and benefit from it myself
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to set time limits on goals as it can be dissapointing if your body doesn't get there in time - and could cause you to lapse in your efforts.
    Setting treats for getting to a certain weight in your own time is a good idea though - and gives you something to work towards.

When I get down to my goal weight I'm going to buy myself some american apparel disco pants so that i can look at my shiny bum in mirrors all day long.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I did early on. I would aim to fit into old clothes by a set time, or reach a specific fitness goal. Now I don't need to, and don't even have a set time on when I should reach my goal weight.

I recommend setting small acheivable goals when starting out as they can spur you on. With regards to rewards, just hitting goals should be reward enough.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Goals are awesome. Here are the ones I set, and the rewards for them :

★ 10 lbs - Pedicure! ::: Achieved 8/26/11 :::
    ★ 20 lbs - Sushi! ::: Achieved 10/10/11:::
    ★ 50 lbs - Sushi & Clothes Shopping! :: Achieved 4/27/12 ::
    ★ Goal Weight - 199lbs - Onederland ~ Water Park Trip!

I've still got to set a couple goals between my last one and my final goal. :laugh:
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yep, my goals and treats don't have timescales attached. Been disappointed at not succeeding with these before. Actually you could argue that my scheme rewards me more the longer I take, cos I'll be paying into my boxes for more weeks :)
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I really want to set treats- I have a few ideas here and there. Had my belly pierced- twice now- but both sunk into the skin and had to be removed. Im hoping that if I slim down to thinner than I was WITH the piercing, that I can have a third time lucky and keep it a final time- I think I am setting it for 140lbs maybe 145lbs :) You can see the scar here:

bordertop.jpg?w=490&h=269

My other treat is to finish my tattoo! It stretched when I gained weight, I am now back to the weight I was when I had the majority of it added. I want to have it finished as a FINAL treat at 140-130lbs

dscf1704.jpg?w=259&h=824

I am also quite vain so some photos would be nice to have done :) Also, the other half s treating me to a £150 shop when we go to Skegness to visit my dad in August this year :) Leaves me 2 months to kick my *kitten*.
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I really want to set treats- I have a few ideas here and there. Had my belly pierced- twice now- but both sunk into the skin and had to be removed. Im hoping that if I slim down to thinner than I was WITH the piercing, that I can have a third time lucky and keep it a final time- I think I am setting it for 140lbs maybe 145lbs :)

My other treat is to finish my tattoo! It stretched when I gained weight, I am now back to the weight I was when I had the majority of it added. I want to have it finished as a FINAL treat at 140-130lbs

dscf1704.jpg?w=259&h=824

I am also quite vain so some photos would be nice to have done :) Also, the other half s treating me to a £150 shop when we go to Skegness to visit my dad in August this year :) Leaves me 2 months to kick my *kitten*.

Cool tats!
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Thanks ^_^
  • junepinktigger
    Options
    wow thank you everyone i am going to sit tonight and work through some things, i did tell my daughter that when i was happy wearing leggings i would go to a horse riding lesson with her, she is an experienced rider so that was something she was looking forward to,

last Wednesday i did it, i was terrified, but i done it,

I am going to set small goals and treats like getting nails done, or getting hair cut and styled, :)
  • junepinktigger
    Options
    I really want to set treats- I have a few ideas here and there. Had my belly pierced- twice now- but both sunk into the skin and had to be removed. Im hoping that if I slim down to thinner than I was WITH the piercing, that I can have a third time lucky and keep it a final time- I think I am setting it for 140lbs maybe 145lbs :)

dscf1704.jpg?w=259&h=824

Cool tats!

i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your tattoo its beautiful.. to go with a beautiful lassie
  • junepinktigger
    Options
    i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your tattoo, its beautiful x
  • krystle_swope
    Options
    Yes! I actually set goals throughout my whole weight loss journey and I set things as rewards that I wouldn't normally buy myself. For example my first 10 lbs I bought myself a good solid pair of running shoes, next 5 I got myself a camelbak, next 5 was a HR Monitor and now I'm waiting for my tattoo! I have .5 lb to go :) I think the reward system really works and motivates you!