48 and 500lbs

Options
Hi, I'm Jim. You've probably heard the story a million times. Bottom line is, I've been heavy since I was a kid, with a couple of leaner years from age 18-20, but I didn't reach morbid obesity until I left college and got my first desk job. Since 1988, I've yo-yo dieted from 300 pounds to a 10+ year average around 500. I've taken off 80-150 pounds at a stretch several times, but the weight has always inched back.

I have tried many different ways to record my food and calories, but none have lasted for long. I was skeptical when my family and friends started raving about My Fitness Pal, but last Friday I took the plunge. I'm still getting the hang of the system, but it helps that my wife knows the app well and has been able to walk me through most of my questions.

Anyway. With 300+ pounds to lose, I know it's important to pace myself for the long run, and be patient and consistent. I also know that it doesn't take a lot of loss up front to really feel the benefits of the effort.

So...hi. It's good to be here.

Replies

• ladylemoncurd
    Options
    Good to meet you and good luck. You can do it, you've done it before.
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    good luck Jim!
  • McButtski
    McButtski Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Very best of luck Jim - first day of the rest of your life (and all that jazz :happy: )
    Add me as a friend if you're looking for a support network!
  • Linnybear1974
    Options
    Hi Jim,

Well done for being so open and joining this site.

Please feel free to add me.

Good luck on your journey.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Good to have you here Jim. You have come to the right place. This site is fantastic and with your wife right there behind you I am sure you will make it to a healthier you.

Good luck on your journey.:flowerforyou:
  • namina13
    namina13 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good luck Jim! I really recommend keeping your food diary open to your friends... I'm sure you know it's a wake-up call when you track everything you're eating throughout the day, but it's even more effective when you realize that all these people who are rooting for you also get to see how you did. It's a real incentive to stick to the plan! :)
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You can, you started, so let's watch you succeed!!
    Everyone hits their tipping point as some stage.
    I am enjoying tying my shoelaces without getting out of breath, walking up stairs properly instead of one step then move foot to meet the other, riding a bicycle!!!!!!!!!!! and loads more
    It takes time so be patient with yourself!
  • LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Good to meet you and all best wishes for your success.

Doing this with your wife will help a lot.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Jim! And I'm proud of you for taking this step.. MFP is a wonderful community (minus some of the mindless bickering on the forums from time to time -- just ignore that), and there are soo many success stories where people have lost large amounts of weight (check out that section in the forums!). Seek them out, use them as inspiration.. Many would be super happy to share their knowledge -- They've been in the same place.

It can be done, you know this. Just keep on it. :)
  • PrinnyBomb
    PrinnyBomb Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Good luck. It may take a while but everyone here will support you
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    Nice to see you Jim and good luck!
  • MrsWW57
    MrsWW57 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Welcome to this site. Just take one day at a time; it may take awhile, but it will happen.

The apps are great, especially the food tracking app. I record everything. It is so easy to use.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Hi Jim. Welcome. We somewhat have a similar story :) I've yo-yo dieted all my life. Lost 125 lbs before. My brother died, and gained 150 back :) This is a wonderful place, and before you know it, you will be down your 300. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :)
  • Misha41810
    Misha41810 Posts: 22
    Options
    Welcome Jim :) I wish you the best on your journey and please feel free to add me if you would like.
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi, Jim. Welcome to MFP I have YoYo'd for years, you name it and I have tried it. This is the easiest site I have ever found and the people are just like us, we're all in it together as a team to lose. I know this time it will be gone forever because I will log my food on MFP the rest of my life or as long as MFP exist.

Good Luck with your journey, sounds like you have a very supportive wife and that help a lot when you spouce is there for you.

I have about 75 lbs to go.

Look forward to seeing your post of you success.
  • Elyse60
    Elyse60 Posts: 1
    Options
    Goodluck Jim!! Well done on making the choice to start, that's the biggest step. You'll do awesome :)
  • niccibee44
    niccibee44 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    good luck, make sure you come on here every day! I find the "weight lost" number at the side of the page a massive inspiration :)
  • Beatles1fan
    Beatles1fan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Jim and take it one day at a time ! :smile:
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi Jim - my first day on here and I intend to take it one day at a time. good luck:-)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from and it is a daunting thought process to wrap your head around the fact that you have to loss 300+ lbs. but I am here to tell you that it is very much an achievable goal, it will just take time and alot of dedication and hard work but you will get there... Baby steps.... Just keep putting one foot in front of the other..... Best of Luck.....