Any perimenopausal women here?

Options
So not only am I overweight (though won't be for much longer) I'm grumpy, have spots on my face, a period every 2 weeks, my back aches, I'm either boiling or freezing and last night I cried at an advert on the telly. Deep Joy.

Anyone else here in the midst of all this crap?

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am in full menopause at the lovely age of 44. I stopped getting my periods at 40. I used to get night sweats but since I exercise regularly I think that my symptoms are not bad. I also take Menopause multivitamins from GNC.

Good Luck!
  • newgirl512
    newgirl512 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't know if it helps you feel any better, but I get all of the same and sometimes I cry in the car for absolutely no reason what so ever!!! :) I have found that lots of exercise makes the hot flashes go away!
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, truly! :)) Check out this website. http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/

I think I have all 34 symptoms!
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Nights are freaky for me. My feet are cold, I can't get to sleep. Put socks on and go to sleep. Wake up due to a hot flash, kick off the socks and my sleeping attire and the blanket/sheet. Finally get back to sleep....and wake up cold.

Any time I do any significant activity it brings on a hot flash and my hair gets saturated - like coming out of the pool wet - and sweat runs down my forehead and burns when it goes in my eyes, taking along any sunscreen or bug repellant I have applied. Just my head - normal level of sweat everywhere else

If you think the every two week period thing is bad, just wait until you go without for 7 months get lulled into a false sense of security and then WHAMMO!

Wait. Was I supposed to be encouraging? Whoops.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ugh! yes! *laugh*

My husband is at a bit of a loss - I've never been the kind to cry, and now I'm super-moody. YUCK
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I feel TERRIFIC!! Yes, I had the anxiety, disruptive sleep, night sweats, lethargy etc but found that exercise(aerobic, weights and stretch), upping my vitamins, eating more gender/age appropriate food and meditation/time out have had a !!PROFOUND!! effect on my overall healt, sleep and mood. I take no hormone replacement and I have grown to realise how tuning in is a bit of an art and a form of self care and love, as a reward for having done the distance with a will to carry on and beyond. My most recent great inspiration and pin-up girl is 96 year young yoga teacher living in the USA who even after her hip replacement at 94 went on to defy medical prognosis and continued to teach yoga ! She said that she simply saw herself doing it, and she did! WOW!
  • Change_Agent
    Change_Agent Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey all - I'm with you all too. Mostly though things are going pretty well as long as I -- well, you all probably know the drill (exercise, vitamins, etc.).

seamaiden -- I would love to hear your gender/age appropriate food tips and what you do to meditate? I don't have much luck with sitting meditation (either fall asleep or just merrily fantasize/daydream) but am considering either yoga or some form of concentration-meditation (if you will) like tai chi. thoughts?

Going to go to bed now so can WAKE UP over and over in the middle of the night! (Actually, I have stopped caring/minding. As long as I am not very tired the next day I don't think it really matters.)

Martha (Change_Agent)
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    So not only am I overweight (though won't be for much longer) I'm grumpy, have spots on my face, a period every 2 weeks, my back aches, I'm either boiling or freezing and last night I cried at an advert on the telly. Deep Joy.

Anyone else here in the midst of all this crap?

Apart from the fact that the boiling/freezing sort of gotten less after a month or two of weight lifting, and that I cried at a song on the radio during my morning commute today and not at an ad on tv, it sounds a lot like me!

I have picked up a bunch of weight freakishly fast, lost half of it, and nothing whatsoever wants to budge after that...At least the weight lifting made a difference inch wise so I still fit into my "pre godzilla weight gain" clothes, but I do not lose any weight - doesn't matter if I eat 1400 cals or 2000 cals...
    So I'm happily eating 2000 cals a day, lift regularly, run some and make sure I have lots of kleenex in the car!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
    Good luck, we'll survive this too.....:drinker:
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    I feel TERRIFIC!! Yes, I had the anxiety, disruptive sleep, night sweats, lethargy etc but found that exercise (aerobic, weights and stretch), upping my vitamins, eating more gender/age appropriate food and meditation/time out have had a !!PROFOUND!! effect on my overall healt, sleep and mood. I take no hormone replacement and I have grown to realise how tuning in is a bit of an art and a form of self care and love, as a reward for having done the distance with a will to carry on and beyond. My most recent great inspiration and pin-up girl is 96 year young yoga teacher living in the USA who even after her hip replacement at 94 went on to defy medical prognosis and continued to teach yoga ! She said that she simply saw herself doing it, and she did! WOW!

THIS!!!! Me too me too! Night sweats weight gain etc. but, since upping my activity starting back in January and "eating more gender/age appropriate foods and adding in meditation/time out" into my day, I feel so much better. I also realized coffee was sending my adrenaline and hormones on a rage war against the rest of me. It helped dramatically to cut out/cut down on coffee and red wine.
    That said I had a beautiful cappuccino thia AM, yumsky!

Good luck and don't underestimate the wonders of yoga and weight training and especially long beautiful walks outdoors! : )
  • Kailee360
    Kailee360 Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm not experiencing Deep Joy , when I see my sunken eyes and darkness under my eyes ... pretty sure this is a symptom of Perimenopause .......And extreme tiredness . :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: .
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am there as well. Insomnia, night sweats and my hair has become exceptionally oily so I have to wash it everyday. Don't have the teary stuff happening but now and then it feels like my heart races and I get nervous knots in my stomach (that feeling of anticipation or excitement) it lasts just mere seconds and then back to normal, the doctor said it's fine. I have noticed that since I've made weight training a priority that some of these symptoms have reduced significantly
  • Mandanbil
    Mandanbil Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi everyone, think I am in this category even though am regular as clockwork every 28 days still at 46. Have noticed I am getting very emotional and this month was probably my worse for pms symptoms, snappy and very touchy. I have also noticed a couple of times a bright red face happening out of nowhere. My friend who is about 6 months older has a month with a period and a month without and has had the hormone test and she is on the menopause. I can't take any hormone replacement as I have Factor V Leiden Mutation which means my blood is thicker than normal. I think I need to look up what foods I should start including in my diet to help out my symptoms. Oh yes I also have been waking up with the dawn chorus and having to get up can't get back to sleep.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I must be in that phase at 49, but I don't seem to have that many symptoms, yet. Every time I go to the doctors she asked me if I am having hot flushes, but thankfully I am not. I must say I can be a bit grumpy, snappy & easily irritated (my husband says I could do with some anger management!!) & I sometimes feel a bit weepy at really silly things. As a person who is always cold - I have noticed feeling a little bit warmer in the night, but nothing too bad.

I am sure losing weight and regular exercise has made a difference. I hope it continues this way (fingers crossed) and your symptoms improve :flowerforyou:
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    im 49 and in the menopause, no more hot flushes for me since i started on HRT, feel better when i exercise as well, cant lose weight though, i did lose 13 pound then started the 30DS n put on 4 and i now i cant lose it but im not too bothered cos ive lost loads of inches and all my clothes are loose, ive just bought ripped in 30 which i will be starting soon. please, anyone feel free to add me. good luck everyone. x
  • holly0171
    holly0171 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yeeesss..........I am 41 and having hormone issues. I have had it medically tested, however, my results were not what I expected. My pregnasone was .4 and my testosterone was to high. Plus, obviously I am overweight, but I have bad knees, and tendanitis and bone spurs in my feet. Needless, to say my mobility is precarious at best. I hate walking on uneven surfaces because I deathly afraid of hurting myself, and not being able to move even more. And now, with the testosterone, its implications are making me feel worse. And yes, one of the side of effects of both low pregnasone and high testosterone is wieght gain in the middle section...GREAT! I gained 16 pounds freaking overnight. And now doctor says, go on a 1200 hundred calorie diet..:sad: .Really..:huh: .Just frustrated with the way my body has morphed...Anybody in the same boat, or would like a wieght loss buddy?
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    yes. I take herbs to help with the hot flashes etc. But, Yes, I am here with you. It sucks, but ~whatever~ just gotta keep on keeping on. 8)
  • RoseBred
    RoseBred Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I can relate to all the symptoms of peri-menopause in this article, especially the Perimenopause is like PMS on steroids. Everything on this list pretty much. Also my grandmother hit full-blown menopause at 38 years old already and my mom already at 35...just like that. I read that if your mother hit perimenopause early, likely the daughter will. Can any of you relate to this article? http://online.prevention.com/perimenopause/list/2.shtml