How to keep going after the first week?!

Options
I'm a week in, have been doing the 30 day shred, not eating sweets, and watching serving sizes. I'm breastfeeding so I'm not being too hard core with my food intake, but I'm trying to eat clean food.

ANYWAY - this is when i always break in the past. I'm good for a week, drop a few pounds and then crave icecream, eat a pint and then just give up. HOW DO YOU PUSH THROUGH THE 2nd WEEK?!

All i am craving is junk food right now, its so bad! I JUST had a pretty substantial breakfast and I'm hungry already and can only think about crappy food. Of course I'm home all day today and its raining out so i have nothing to distract me.

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Have some junk food. Budget it into your calorie goals.
  • JeepBrah
    JeepBrah Posts: 150
    Options
    either you stay fat or do something about it
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My motivation was seeing peoples weight loss tickers and success stories. I thought if other people can do it I can try. 6 months later I have logged every day even Xmas and while on holiday. I don't deprive myself, I set aside calories for a treat every day so I don't feel like I'm missing out. At the moment it's my own weight loss ticker that is spurring me on, I never thought I'd lose this much weight, I enjoy the changes I can see :flowerforyou:
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I once read that it takes 23 times to make something a habit. When I started my journey I had up a calendar and when I wanted something bad I marked what I wanted and where my habit kick in day should be. So day 23 hit and I had been busting my *kitten* working out and eating good and I looked at all the things I had wanted and none of them appealed to me after I had hit that mark. I have even given up pasta for good. You have the ability and you can do it. If you can do it for a week pretend week two is week one and just stick to it. Remember the end result is worth it! I am about a year into my journey and I have my bad days I am addicted to sugar but all in all hard work and you can do it!

051-1.jpg
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    My motivation was seeing peoples weight loss tickers and success stories. I thought if other people can do it I can try. 6 months later I have logged every day even Xmas and while on holiday. I don't deprive myself, I set aside calories for a treat every day so I don't feel like I'm missing out. At the moment it's my own weight loss ticker that is spurring me on, I never thought I'd lose this much weight, I enjoy the changes I can see :flowerforyou:

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\

This! Ultimately, the only person who can motivate you is YOU!
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    First drink some water...that is what i do when i have a craving...Second I work out...That normally kicks me back to reality....
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I agree, I think the first 2 weeks are the hardest.
    You just have to keep thinking about your goal, why you want it and what you need to do to achieve it. You can push through!!
  • frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Don't have crappy food around to eat.

Find decent substitutes for what you're craving. Yogurt in place of ice cream (ideally greek, but that can be a big change, so work up to it), for example. Bars from the nutrition part of the grocery store rather than flat out candy bars. Check out some of the potato chip alternatives if you're a salty-craver.

Most importantly, don't give up when you backslide. Try not to let it happen, of course, but if it does, it doesn't have to ruin the rest of your life! (or even the next month, week or day) We're human, sometimes we do things we regret... but next time you're faced with it, you can stop for a moment and think about the LAST time you made that choice, and how it made you feel, and whether it was 'worth' it. Maybe you won't make that decision again.

Also, eat babyfeets! Nom them right up! They are so adorable, and believe me, they get big and ugly and smelly real fast, lol :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    a) Have a little of what you crave - either a small ice cream or try some frozen yoghurt ( the dairy will be good as you are bf). I have found it easy to eat within my calories and have what I crave as I just have a small portion and often find that it is enough.

b) write down the reasons you want to loose weight/ eat healthier. Maybe a picture that you hate.
  • Pink_Tina
    Pink_Tina Posts: 164
    Options
    Whenever I feel hungry between meals (I eat on a schedule so I know what/how much I'm eating for the day) I drink boat loads of water.
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Personally I havnt cut out anything, just make sure you only have a small amount of whatever your craving and make it fit into your calorie goal for the day!
    also your BF so you can have a couple extra cals, so have some ice cream and make it fit in.

and also if I have a treat and still want more, I will drink a glass or two of water and that usually makes the craving stop and Im full!

GL
  • ErinCanRun
    ErinCanRun Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok - gonna go drink some water and work out. Thanks guys!

BTW - i suck at moderation and dont trust myself right now. If i eat 1 oreo i'll eat the whole box. At this point i know i just have to totally stay away.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Your calorie requirements will be higher than usual to cover the breastfeeding. Do your settings here reflect that? Are you eating back your exercise calories? You could simply be too far under your needs?
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If there is something I really want, I have it, occasionally and in logical portions (Ghiradelli squares, pizza purchased by the slice, single serving bag of kettle chips, Magnum mini icecream). If you (or I) are going to do this for the rest of our lives, there needs to be some leeway. However, I rarely go over my calories, and if I do, not by much. If I have to work out to make that happen I do. Once you start seeing some success, you will be unstoppable.
  • ChiefsChick4Life
    Options
    either you stay fat or do something about it

Althought Jeep has a point, I don't thinks its very encouraging. I don't see any before pictures of him being fat so he may not have struggled as much as some...

You can cheat a little, maybe 5 potato chips or 3 cookies, but keep the portions down. DO NOT grab a bag and sit down and start eating. Also, just because you are breastfeeding doesn't mean you can eat 1000 more calories of junk food. You do burn calories but many breast feeding women have that misconception that you can eat more and lose weight.

Good luck, it's hard after a baby, I know. Three times, and my third ended in a loss so I went through the struggles of that part too. Gained a bunch of weight, but I am determined to do this. You can too!
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    What has been working for me is to make sure I log EVERYTHING I eat...even if I succumb to temptation and have something "bad". I log it so that I have a visual that night when I complete my diary of just how much eating like that can affect me 5 weeks from now. I take a screen shot every night of that screen that says "If everyday were like today, you'd weigh XXX in 5 weeks." Then I make sure to watch those screen shots as they add up to determine if the number showing is a number that makes me feel good or makes me feel not so good. I've learned that I am able to stay on track more often than not when I can keep that number decreasing time and time again.

You can get through this! Just remember it is not a temporary diet but a permanent change to your lifestyle and it will take some time to adjust.

Feel free to add me if you want some extra motivation/support! :flowerforyou:
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Some people may disagree with me, but this has kept me on track! I have a Cheat/Spike day once a week. Usually 3000-3200 calories

It is great because I am good for 6 days knowing that on Friday, I can have some chips, or a sandwich on white bread (you can tell I have little kids) I do not go crazy, but I enjoy it. Ad then Saturday, I am back on track, no guilt and no "I just destroyed my whole diet"

So, maybe be great for 6 days and on that 7th day, have half a pint of ice cream (I love to have Sonic Blasts) And anytime that ice cream is calling your name...just say "NO...not until Friday!!"

Remember to monitor what you eat so you do not mess up your milk supply tho...that is the most important thing right now!!! (I breastfed all 6 of my kids)
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    The first couple weeks are the hardest obstacle to get over, in my opinion! I read someplace that sometimes when you feel hungry it isnt that you are hungry at all, but thirsty. I notice that this is true with myself. The more water I drink, the less Hungry I get. So, if you get like that, try drinking some water.

GOOD LUCK getting over this "hump." I find that my weekends throw me off so, it makes it rough to get going again. AND, just remember, if you fall off the wagon once, with 1 food, doesnt mean you have to stay off...Hop back on and keep moving!!! It is ok to slip up sometimes!! :)
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Just do it!! O.O
    Maybe since you are breastfeeding you could hold off for a little while? I know you need to eat really good for that. (Not junk food of course!) I've got Clear Choice 'soda' from Rite Aid.. flavored seltzer water.. It is GOOD =) I put lemon juice in it. All 0 calories. It cuts cravings for me. You could brush your teeth REALLY good, then you wont wanna eat. I'm sure you can cut back on a couple things and squeeze in some Skinny Cow candy. =) Also yogurt!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Some people may disagree with me, but this has kept me on track! I have a Cheat/Spike day once a week. Usually 3000-3200 calories

It is great because I am good for 6 days knowing that on Friday, I can have some chips, or a sandwich on white bread (you can tell I have little kids) I do not go crazy, but I enjoy it. Ad then Saturday, I am back on track, no guilt and no "I just destroyed my whole diet"

So, maybe be great for 6 days and on that 7th day, have half a pint of ice cream (I love to have Sonic Blasts) And anytime that ice cream is calling your name...just say "NO...not until Friday!!"

Remember to monitor what you eat so you do not mess up your milk supply tho...that is the most important thing right now!!! (I breastfed all 6 of my kids)

You still lost weight?? I'm scared to have a cheat day... even though my roommates keep pushing me to have one so they can make a bunch of fried chicken and Southern food for everyone..