New Guy from Canton, Ga

Options
Carp614
Carp614 Posts: 191 Member
Hello!

10 years of 40+ weeks a year in hotels, eating out 3 meals a day (poor food choices) was not kind to my body. In 10 years, I gained about 45 pounds and got to a max weight of 265 pounds. Then I was blessed with a low travel job.

Mid December 2011 - I had a fitness screening. Results were mixed, Good strength and flexibility, but bottom 1% in Cardiovascular fitness for my group. Cholesterol and triglycerides were all out of whack. I'm 37 and a father of two wonderful, beautiful little girls. My wife is increasingly worried I won't be around to take care of them. They deserve better and I can do better.

Christmas Eve 2011, I started by shocking myself. I was actually capable of 30 continuous minutes on the eliptical! No resistance, lowest setting, but I did it! Over January and February 30 minutes 3 times a week turned into 60-90 minutes 6 days a week at a moderate intensity level. Sometimes I worked out twice a day. I completely changed my diet. No sodas, no fast food, 3 meals + two snacks per day. I never touched a scale. I just wanted to feel better. But people started to notice.

Then my wonderful, beautiful, precious Mother-in-Law tragically died after a brief battle with brain cancer. No excercise, eat whatever I see, no sleep. I don't know how much I gained back, but two weeks after the funeral I am back in the gym 5-6 days a week.

I'm not quitting...ever. I am trying to get to 208. I currently weigh about 245. I expect it will take between 1 & 2 years. But I won't quit, no matter what. With the exception of our tragic loss, I have been at it for 5 months.

Now I am looking to get better at managing my nutrition to make certain I can sustain a rigorous exercise schedule without injury or significant muscle loss. Low impact, high intensity cardio for now, focused on shedding excess fat.

I am entered in an recreational Ironman. I have the month of June to complete it. My goal is to complete the distance a week early.

Replies

• DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    Hey Carp,

welcome and good luck. You´ll make it.