Want to cook/eat fish - where do i start

Options

Replies

• TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't get all the love for tilapia. To me, it's the blandest of fishes. Swordfish, mahi, halibut, snapper, tuna, salmon, amberjack, sea bass... all have so much more flavor!

I am loving the "flame kissed" descriptions, though. :)
  • BG10708
    BG10708 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • mimieob
    mimieob Posts: 54
    Options
    bumping for later
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I don't get all the love for tilapia. To me, it's the blandest of fishes. Swordfish, mahi, halibut, snapper, tuna, salmon, amberjack, sea bass... all have so much more flavor!

Im a very serious person when it comes to using alcohol from time to time...

"A little for the scallops ......................and a little for me".... ROFLMAO!
  • bellieff
    bellieff Posts: 43
    Options

i love all of those too (especially salmon) but i just cant afford to buy them all the time like i can with tilapia, and ive dried out both salmon and mahi and was bummed because of the money i spent on it. tilapia is just a good starter fish for someone.
  • erikkasusann
    erikkasusann Posts: 104
    Options
    I don't get all the love for tilapia.

Tilapia IS sorta bland, it picks up the flavors of the things you cook it with. That makes it a good "starter fish" for folks who are just introducing seafood into their diet. I've found that people who don't eat much fish are sometimes scared off if they eat more flavorful stuff at the start. It's also priced reasonably, easy to prepare, and easy to find just about everywhere.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i marinate fish in jamacain jerk sauce and bake it . its the only way ill eat it these days ..otherwise i have shrimp, tuna and crab now and then
  • cramernh
    Options
    I find tilapia works well with bold citrus and spices. Or, the extreme opposite, a nice subtle compound butter to lightly flavor the tilapia while your sides give you the boldness you need.

I do recommend a nice blackened-buffalo tilapia... do a light pan-fry lightly coated with panko, throw some roasted onions, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes (they are freaking CANDY!!!!) and Ill do up a loaded baked potato for my husband (jack-cheddar-fontina, bacon, chives, sourcream)... I grab grilled asparagus to go with mine...
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    Throw some tilapia in foil with a light sprinkle of olive oil, some veggies, some Mrs. Dash and a little lemon then put it on the grill for about 10 minutes. Great!
  • earthquick
    earthquick Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Salmon fillets are GREAT! Walmart (here in Mexico, but I'm sure its in the US as well), sells wild salmon fillets, a 100 calories and its individually packed. Really easy to cook. Just add a little olive oil or spray canola oil in a non stick pan and it cooks in about 5 minutes. Add a little sprinkle of water too if it sticks. Then add some onion, garlic and maybe some stringbeans or other frozen veggies and you have an excellent meal. I have been eating this 4-5 times a week and feel AMAZING!
  • acragle
    acragle Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Fish is an awesome source of protein with almost no carbs and very little fat. I buy bags of individually wrapped tilapia filets and put in a shallow baking dish with spices sprinkled on top.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I second wrapping it in foil with herbs and seasonings and letting it steam in the packet....keeps it nice and moist with no added fat. :)
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Bump
  • cramernh
    Options
    ok well its not the healthiest of ways but i take fresh haddack fillets and put them in a pan with potatoes, carrots, onions and butter, a little seasoning salt, bake it for 30-45 minutes on 350 until the fish flakes and the veggies are tender.... if i could afford it i would eat it more often and my kids love it too..... minus the butter its a great meal.......

Instead of butter, try some finely diced Chorizo... a very nice portuguese dish and the fat from the chorizo flavors everything like CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • latinlady435
    latinlady435 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump...i need ideas too :)
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    There is this Caribbean seasoning that you get at Walmart. Its called Island something. Spray the fish with cooking oil and sprinkle some of that seasoning on any kind of fish and bake for 20-25 minutes in a conventional oven or sear it on a pan. It has salt, pepper and other stuff too, so no other seasoning needed. It tastes amazing! It is so flavourful and doesn't overpower the taste of the fish! Ever since my Caribbean vacation, I can't get enough of that yummy Caribbean spice mixture!
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Since I've started really keeping track of what I eat and (gasp!) looking at nutrition labels, I've realized that a lot of the pre-made seasoning mixes are WAY high in sodium. So I'd caution anyone using pre-mixed seasonings to use sparingly - or just make your own! I had NO idea that so many spice mixes were filled with lots of sodium, and hard to pronounce names of things that I don't understand, etc.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    ^^^ That is so true! I have a hard time choosing seasonings and sauces in stores because of the sodium content. No seasoning ever seems to have less sodium than 20-30% of daily requirements. And that too for a 2000 cal diet.

For anyone who wishes to know, the Caribbean seasoning is pretty low in sodium. About 7% per serving..
    Name of the seasoning is Cool Runnings Caribbean spice and roasted garlic.
  • cramernh
    Options
    Since I've started really keeping track of what I eat and (gasp!) looking at nutrition labels, I've realized that a lot of the pre-made seasoning mixes are WAY high in sodium. So I'd caution anyone using pre-mixed seasonings to use sparingly - or just make your own! I had NO idea that so many spice mixes were filled with lots of sodium, and hard to pronounce names of things that I don't understand, etc.

Not just sodium - also Silicon Dioxide.... I flare up really bad with that garbage...
  • mordacious
    mordacious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I LOVE fish. There are ton of great fresh fish recipes here so I'll add my favorite non-fresh recipe.

Canned salmon (the kind that is skinned and deboned, worth the extra money trust me)
    Egg white
    Fresh parsley
    Panko bread crumbs

Form into patties and cook them in a bit of oil or nonstick spray. While they are cooking combine...

a few table spoons of plain greek yogurt
    Fresh lemon juice
    Fresh or dried dill
    Capers

Enjoy!