Mirena IUD increase appetite???

I got the Mirena IUD 2 1/2 weeks ago and have had no side effects except that I have noticed that my appetite has greatly increased. Has anyone else experienced this? I have been dieting since Feb 21 and got over my hunger pains after 2 weeks of dieting. I have been doing great and lose around 1-2 pounds a week and haven't felt hungry. However, since I got the Mirena IUD I feel like I just can't eat enough. I am always hungry. I have been controlling myself, but have cheated more the last 2 weeks than I did over the last 2 months. (And no, I am not pregnant). Please help! I need something to curve my appetite so I don't gain what I have worked so hard to lose over the past 3 months.

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    This is very common, because progesterone stimulates appetitie. Hopefully it will get better over time as your body adjusts to the hormones; in the meantime, you are just going to have to monitor yourself very closely. Drink lots of water!
  • jvl1973
    jvl1973 Posts: 36 Member
    Thanks for the reply. I really hope I overcome this. I am starving right now and I ate my normal breakfast, which usually holds me off for 3-4 hours. Ughhhhhh!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Progesterone and appetite stimulation is the reason women think IUDs cause weight gain....it's because they start eating more, without even realizing it! I went through it when I had my Mirena put in about six months ago, so I understand what you are going through....if you need to nibble, just make sure it is on low calorie/healthy stuff...I found my appetite stabilized and I don't feel extra hungry anymore. Drink a lot of water when you feel hungry. I love the IUD...had to get past the hunger and the irregular bleeding, but now it's awesome...no worry about remembering birth control, and no periods! :)
  • nibblypig
    nibblypig Posts: 27
    I'm exactly the same, I had a mirena fitted a year ago and have put on 10lbs - I never had to worry about what I ate before but now I just seem to be putting a bit of weight on every week. This is the only side-effect but I have no regrets about having it fitted. I usually fill a bowl of celery, tomatoes, grapes and nibble when I'm hungry... and drink lots of water :)
  • dmwells3
    dmwells3 Posts: 42 Member
    I have had Mirena for 5 years. While enjoying the lack of a peroid, I have put on a bit of weight. 10# in the first year and another 45# after I quit smoking. I now can not seem to lose the weight. I am having it removed next month, and hope the weight and the mood swings go away. The hormone reacts to people differently. While I LOVE my Mirena, I can no longer handle the weight. Keep an eye out for the "lesser" known side effects, as they seem to be more common.

Good luck and enjoy the benifits.
  • jvl1973
    jvl1973 Posts: 36 Member
    Thank you everyone! I did fine for breakfast and lunch today. Got home from work and literally could eat a huge snack before dinner. I am going to have to control myself and exercise more if I eat extra calories.
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    The hormones will do it to you- I had something similar when my Implanon was put in. Just be more careful, and you'll balance out in 2-3 weeks.
  • monica4354
    monica4354 Posts: 22
    I have had a Mirena for a year and a half and I did not notice a significant change in my appetite. This could be due to the fact that my son was nursing a lot when I got it and I would get very hungry at times when he was going though a growth spurt so I don't know that I would have noticed.

Side note: I love my Mirena. I am not going to be a happy camper when I have it out to try and TTC and my TOM returns. The only thing I don't like about it is that when I slack off on working out and then go back to working out, I spot and cramp for a few days.
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 666 Member
    This is very common, because progesterone stimulates appetitie. Hopefully it will get better over time as your body adjusts to the hormones; in the meantime, you are just going to have to monitor yourself very closely. Drink lots of water!

Was going to say the same thing! Watch yourself and you should be okay... It is just good that you are aware of it. I had trouble with my energy level on Mirena and other issues, so I don't have mine anymore.. Good luck to you!
  • I am actually 2 yrs on the IUD... only thing I had was no periods! Now i get the increased hunger, the fluttering feeling in tummy, the cramps, pains, headaches, fatigue, polyuria, mood swings, etc. Im hoping its a temp thing because I love the Mirena just not liking the side effects.. Im seeing my dr on monday for questions with the thing because im curious.. I get pregnancy symptoms but no baby! ive check it and its in place so we'll see.
  • something that I figured out with the eating part.. when you feel hungry, eat a small salad and water/tea. It will help subside it for a bit.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Completely normal. Go for healthy things, like apples, celery and peanut butter...grab for the good stuff and enjoy :D It won't stop you.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    I put on almost 45 in the 3 years ive had it
  • ive had a mirena for 10 years and going to have it replaced this week for my third one and ive had no problems at all. Any weight gain i had was simply due to me being greedy and eating from boredom. I've since lost 52lbs with the mirena still in and have been taking cerazette for the last 3 months as mirena is almost at its end
  • mollymund
    mollymund Posts: 1 Member
    Thank you for posting this!! I got mine put in 2 weeks ago and my hunger has been absolutely insatiable ever since! Looking forward to knowing it will even out!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I noticed some increase in appetite, but I also noticed a bit of water weight, and a change in boob size. I gave up after a while and had it removed. We made other birth control plans. I felt like I was battling myself with Mirena, between appetite, mood, migraines, pimples, diminished libido, and bloating, it didn't seem worth it to me.
    Good luck finding what works for you.
  • Charlot4444
    Charlot4444 Posts: 170 Member
    I've lost weight after I got Mirena. I am not any more hungry or have any other side effect, besides a VERY much reduced to non existent monthly (YEEHAW lol)
  • redd_87
    redd_87 Posts: 53 Member
    I'm on my second mirena, first one put in a little more than 6 years ago. I didn't ever notice a change in appetite and I'm down 40# or so in the time I've had it. I've never had any trouble maintaining or losing since I've had it. Any gains I've had were due to personal slip ups, not the mirena.
  • letitbe8807
    letitbe8807 Posts: 23 Member
    I've had Mirena IUD for a little less than 2 yrs and haven't noticed any significant side effects. Still same period and everything and I've lost over 100 pounds all with my Mirena.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    The midwife in the clinic I work at really, really encourages people to stay away from progesterone only birth control for this reason. Especially teen girls, we work in Community Health so these kids want the Nexplanon and they almost always gain a bunch of weight. I had the paraguard for 7 of the 10 years. While I still had a period, I can't say enough good things.