Sensa??

Options
My mom is a nurse (and also on MFP!) and we are trying to lose weight together. She has a coworker who is using Sensa and is losing weight! I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice on the product. I have looked into it and am still not sure what to think. It is FDA approved. I don't want to use it as my diet and exercise plan. I was thinking WITH my diet and exercise plan would be good. It's supposed to help your mind tell you to stop eating which I could use some help with. Is it safe? Does it work? Is it something that once I start I can't stop using? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• hswayze
    hswayze Posts: 6
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing???
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Nothing like that really works, diet and exercise will win the race!!

If stuff like that DID work no one would need to lose weight, It's a rip off:)
  • Mymarine68
    Mymarine68 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have not tried it, but I had a friend that did and she said she truthfully did not notice a difference. I am always looking for encouragement and motivation, in return I am willing to give encouragement and motivation. Feel free to add me if you need MFP friends.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My co-worker used it and it did nothing for her.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with it.

It's apparently an appetite suppressant. You'd be much better off learning about food choices and nutrition, and use smart food choices to reach satiety without the aid of magic powder.

Not saying this to be rude, trying to save you money.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see what everybody says (besides scolding you for wanting to use a product with your diet/exercise plan). The commercials always scare me, personally. Shaking things on your food? Eek, that cant' be good. But let's be open minded and see what it's all about~
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Don't trust the FDA first of all.

They also don't require that Truvia list the 40 chemical compounds used to make the sugar.

They are known to be a pretty evil and cash fueled part of the government. (read 'Eating Animals' and watch Food Inc.)

If you want to put chemicals in your body go right ahead.

There is no quick fix. If all of these fad diet products *really* were a long term solution the diet industry would not be booming. Think about that one for a minute. In 'The Weight of the Nation' (aired this spring on HBO) they explained that the diet industry wants the products to be a scam so that you will keep buying the next one, buying the next one, buying the next book and subscribing to the next service. It's set up to fail.

You're smarter than ingesting some chemical every day for a quick fix.

Studies show you'll just gain it all back plus extra.
  • Jstewartdesigns
    Jstewartdesigns Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have it on my kitchen counter and carry it in my purse, however, I ALWAYS forget to shake it on my food. I'm no help!
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    one of my co-workers tried it and lost a few pounds, The funny thing was she was putting it on yogurt and high fat foods (Chipotle and Moes). Kind of defeated the purpose. Put a rubber band around your wrist and snap it every time you go to get something bad for you. It will save you money and do the same thing. Not trying to be disrespectful just giving my 2 cents and trying to be funny. Let us know if you find anything else about it
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I tried it and I felt like it actually INCREASED my appetite. I did not lose any weight on it at all.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My father has been using it for over 2 months now. He's lost maybe 5lbs.

I still can't figure out if the stuff is supposed to deaden your taste buds or what. It really doesn't taste like anything although the "salty" one has more of a non-taste than the "sweet". There's something that gives me the impression of bitterness in the "sweet" one.

I personally don't see the sense in wasting money on something like this when weight loss can be achieved without it.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Check this out: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sensa/AN02050

Studies showed people lost weight using Sensa, but...
    "However, neither of these studies lasted longer than six months. So they didn't look at whether participants were able to maintain the weight loss over time. "
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    From what I know it's mainly just a filler that causes you to feel full quicker. So, a bunch of chemicals and such.

You'd probably have the same results from water before a meal and extra protein and fibre in your meals.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Sounds kinda silly to me.

You sprinkle "crystals" on your food that is made of maltodextrin, tricalcium phosphate, silica, and flavors. That doesn't sound like things I'd want to ingest.

Save your money, just eat the right foods and move more.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    A coworker actually did purchase that last year. She used it "as directed" and sprinkled it on everything, including donuts, candy bars, and calzones. Needless to say, it did not work.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Just watch one of their commercials. It's embarassing to watch. You definitely won't buy! lol
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    save your money. there is no substitution for had work.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have it on my kitchen counter and carry it in my purse, however, I ALWAYS forget to shake it on my food. I'm no help!
    :flowerforyou:
  • melhmltn2
    melhmltn2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I researched it awhile back and found several reports. The one that stuck out to me (I will try to find link later today) said it was a poor fiber filler and suggested if you wanted to try something similar to sprinkle ground flax seed (available in the baking aisle) would be a better choice of fiber and ALOT cheaper.
  • KatieSchnautz
    KatieSchnautz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have heard to use flax seed as well.