Does the heat change your eating habbits?

Options
Guitarjon
Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
Those of you in the UK know how much of a heat wave we have had just lately. All I am wanting to eat is salad! I try and eat it every day anyway but not craving any other food than some salad and a nice juicy piece of chicken, steak, tuna etc. I had a chicken salad for my lunch Friday, Saturday was a tuna salad, Sunday was anothe chicken salad, Monday was tuna again, Today will be a steak salad.

I am eating porridge in the morning still but having very little whole carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes etc) is this a bad thing? I don't feel like I am needing the extra energy and I am eating plenty of fruit and veg.

(I am obviously eating other meals but nearly all salad with ....)

Replies

• mummy_beckster
    mummy_beckster Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes I don't want to eat much either!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Yes, I don't feel like eating as much when it's hot! I tend to stick with salad and don't have too much in the way of carbs as I don't fancy them as much in this weather!
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    When it gets hot all I want is salad and fruit and veggies....mostly cause I can't stand to be in the kitchen while cooking and it's 90+ degrees out
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Its recently started to heat up where I live and its definatly affected my appetite. I too have been just wanting to eat salad. Nothing heavy at all.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think I eat more meat in the summer months due to cookouts. We usually keep it healthy with mostly fish, and we still eat lots of veggies, but we do tend to have more vegetarian meals when it's cooler.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    We have a one-acre organic vegetable, fruit and herb garden. During the summer months I definitely eat a TON of fresh fruits and veggies. We even had a washing station set up out there so I can just rinse and eat!

I find that I have very little appetite when it's hot, though.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My habits definately change in the summer/heat I want lots of fruits and vegetables and sandwiches I rarely crave pasta or other "hot" dishes in the summer
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I often want to eat less in hot weather, which is great. Now as long as I don't pass an ice cream or gelato shop...
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    We cook on the grill most every night when its hot but then I want the potato salad and Macaroni salad that goes with the grilling....GRRR.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    Yes, I live in the southern U.S. and boy is it HOT! I also live in a "historic" district, where practically no one has central AC because of how freaking old all the buildings are...Anyways, I rarely feel like cooking in the summer because if I use the stove or the oven it heats up the whole house. I often eat things like tuna salad, fruit and veggies with dip, and cold cereal.
  • TessieAnne
    TessieAnne Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I tend to prefer easy colder meals like sandwiches and chopped veggies or things that are lighter like fish and things during the summer, mostly because I live in Alabama and it's freakin' hot. I do tend to crave soup a lot more, which is weird since it's hot, but it's also light.

I also probably eat my weight in cantaloupe and cucumbers. :9
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yep. Less hungry.
  • jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes, in the summer I tend to eat lighter foods more vegetables, fruit, and more grilled chicken.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm eating loats more salad - my water intake has gone up like crazy though.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i don't want to eat anything this weather, i've been living on homemade soup out of the freezer for the last week as i dont want to cook, and i hate salads
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Really go off carbs for some reason! Appetite drops too. Glad its not just me!
  • TheEmppu24
    TheEmppu24 Posts: 1
    Options
    For me it's the same thing. When it's hotter outside i want to eat more fresh food and drink super cold water! Also with exercise when it's hotter outside i wan't to go for a run. When it's colder i don't want to do anything!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    We've had a heat wave where I live too, and I only want veggies and fruit. My carb cravings have diminished a bit, and I don't crave meat anymore. I still like eggs and peanut butter, but protein and fats just don't sound great. All I want is juicy fibrous veggies and fruits, lol. I love how weird our bodies are and how much they change according to season....
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I live in southern USA also, Texas to be precise, and it is hot here most of the year. Maybe I am used to it, but I cook about the same all year long. I tried to cook homemade chicken soup this weekend but my husband wouldn't hear of it. The only change I make for the summer is cool desserts: homemade ice cream and key lime pie. I don't make them often, but it isn't summer unless we've had key lime pie at the pool or lake!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My oven is turned off from June 1st to end of August :drinker:

When it's REALLY hot, I just want to sit around & drink iced coffee (with lots of ice, fat-free milk & no sweetener) ..... but since I have to feed the hubby, will grill, stirfry or slowcook ...... discovered that grilled veggies & fruit are pretty tasty !