Healthy Campfire food?

Options
13»

Replies

• SL22268
    SL22268 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! Using these for Labor Day camping for sure :)
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Kabobs are usually pretty easy. Just a matter of slicing up a bunch of veggies and a meat to roast over the fire.

i agree. love kabobs. nom nom nom.
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would bring chicken and veggies. Water. Bring some fruit. Oh, and a little alcohol. :D
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Another good "dessert" --- core out an apple and stuff it with goodies (cinnamon, sugar, granola, nuts, chocolate/carob chips, marshmallows). Wrap it in foil and put it on the coals. Not too long later.....delicious baked apples!

Depending on the length of the camping trip and the company tends to dictate our food. If we are only going for a weekend on a rare occasion, we will stick to burgers, dogs, etc. When we were going every weekend or for a week's time, then we make sure to add in lots of good, healthy food. Make up a tossed salad in advance and bring it in a ziplock bag. Prep all of your fresh veggies. Make a fruit salad or bring an assortment of fresh fruit or plan an outing to a pick-your-own farm or a farmers stand.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you have a cast iron skillet, you can use it to sautee a bunch of veggies.... or if summer squash and onions, if you are like me and can eat those two things by the bucket

I always loved banana boats as a kid for a healthier dessert - a peeled banana, chocolate chips and marshmallows in tinfoil heated by the fire.... oooey, gooey goodness.

We always did instant oatmeal and fruit for easy breakfasts... add hot water, voila.

edited to say -- Just saw that someone already said this... it's still YUM!
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You can make just about anything on a campfire if you have the cookware.

Are you going to be doing any fishing? Catch and cook some.

You could do pasta, rice, kabobs are good too.

Bring wraps and bagels & oatmeal for breakfast
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread...bump
  • roberts1027
    Options
    We are going camping this year for vacation. Bump for later. Thanks for the post and for everyone's ideas.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Tinfoil dinners pick your meat and any weg you want season the food wrap in tin foil and let it sit in coals not actual flame until the meat is coked and the veg is good I usually do hamburger with onions carrots beans but you can add tons of other veg and chicken is really good in it too!!

^^^This is what I do.
    I also like catfish with potatoes, onions, carrots or those baby sweet peppers you buy by the bag. Dump some olive oil and lemon juice in there and maybe some Old Bay seasoning and its scrumptious!!! I make them in our fire pit in my back yard too!

exercise.png
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • pleytem
    pleytem Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump great ideas