Weight Loss and SSRI's

Options
HI MFP's!

I have been on some sort of SSRI since I was a teenager. I have been taking 40mg/d of Fluoxetine/Prozac for about 3 years now. Before that I was taking Celexa which caused me to gain and keep on quite a bit of weight -- I had also started college though so it is hard to tell if it was my freshman 15 or a combination!

MY question is, I am thinking I am going to start taking 20mg/d. The 40mg seems a little excessive for me and I am doing well.
Have any of you taken Prozac / other SSRI's and found weight loss to be easier as you tapered ??
Or have any of you specifically cut your Prozac dose? I don't intend on going off of it right now, especially with the changes in my life but I do hope to be off of it by the time I am ready to be a mommy!

thanks xoxo

Replies

• stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi I am on the lowest dose of Zoloft and have been for years. I don't find a negative effect On weight either way. Do you know for sure it is what is affecting your weightloss? I understand your motivation to cut it down, believe me, but approach with caution. Remember a depression relapse is a sure fire binge trigger, so you don't want it to backfire!
    Good luck whatever you choose!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    HI MFP's!

I have been on some sort of SSRI since I was a teenager. I have been taking 40mg/d of Fluoxetine/Prozac for about 3 years now. Before that I was taking Celexa which caused me to gain and keep on quite a bit of weight -- I had also started college though so it is hard to tell if it was my freshman 15 or a combination!

MY question is, I am thinking I am going to start taking 20mg/d. The 40mg seems a little excessive for me and I am doing well.
    Have any of you taken Prozac / other SSRI's and found weight loss to be easier as you tapered ??
    Or have any of you specifically cut your Prozac dose? I don't intend on going off of it right now, especially with the changes in my life but I do hope to be off of it by the time I am ready to be a mommy!

thanks xoxo

When Prozac first came on the market, many people reported weight loss. I don't know if they continued to lose weight. In addition, the generic, Fluoxetine, may cause different effects. You might want to try looking on a board for people who report their experiences with mental hygiene drugs.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've been on SSRIs for 13 years now. I would gladly be stuck with this last 10 lbs instead of going off my medicine. I expect to be on medicine for the rest of my life. Losing that last 10 lbs won't make my life better.....but staying on those pills sure will!