HELP! Beginning Weight Lifting Tips for Women

Options
volvol16
volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
I really want to start lifting weights, but don't really know what to begin with. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do on a daily basis? I know you're supposed to work different muscle groups on different days, but a little guidance would be helpful!

Replies

• julieh1973
    julieh1973 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bump, Curious myself....
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Try reading New Rules of Lifting for Women...its very helpful in telling the whys and how's.

You don't need to work different muscles on different days. In fact a lot of women, especially beginners, benefit from full body lifting and doing it 3 days a week. I really recommend that approach. Your workouts should be built around big compound movements. Stay away from machines and isolation exercise -- they're generally not worth your time. This mean not being afraid to squat and deadlift and using free weights.

Go slow, start light as you need to feel comfortable but progress and don't be afraid to LIFT HEAVY.

Also, make sure you're eating enough and getting LOTS of protein!
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Try reading New Rules of Lifting for Women...its very helpful in telling the whys and how's.

You don't need to work different muscles on different days. In fact a lot of women, especially beginners, benefit from full body lifting and doing it 3 days a week. I really recommend that approach. Your workouts should be built around big compound movements. Stay away from machines and isolation exercise -- they're generally not worth your time. This mean not being afraid to squat and deadlift and using free weights.

Go slow, start light as you need to feel comfortable but progress and don't be afraid to LIFT HEAVY.

^^^ TOTALLY agree with this!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Thirded.

Starting Strength and StrongLifts are also good programs to try after you get more comfortable. They're a little more male-centric, but it doesn't really matter. Women can still do the stuff in those. Besides, there's a certain addictive quality to being able to lift weights approaching your own bodyweight.

Also, don't buy into the whole "women can't lift more than 5lb weights or they'll turn into she-hulk" garbage. Consider that you probably lift at least 20lbs on a regular basis, especially if you have kids (gallon of milk = 8lbs; reusable bag of groceries = ~15lbs depending on contents; small child = 10-30lbs, etc).
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy for quite a while and i would LOVE for someone to tell me I look like she hulk. Just try me :)
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy for quite a while and i would LOVE for someone to tell me I look like she hulk. Just try me :)

Wonder Woman is more like it. ;)
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Keep tips and suggestions coming! :D
  • Mandy7698
    Mandy7698 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I also agree with this^^^^^^^!!! I am on week two and I really like it!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,988 Member
    Options
    I'm in Stage 5 of NROL4W, and *still* loving it!

There are also groups on mfp you might consider joining (for moral support): "NROL4W" as well as "women strength training"
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    Options
    I posted a blog with the routine that I started with and really enjoyed:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cyncetastic/view/beginner-s-weight-training-routine-230719
  • rwisner
    rwisner Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a full body circuit twice a week, using dumbbells - love it. Great results for such a small investment of time. Definitely look into the full body stuff, I really feel like I use every muscle in my body. There is so much information out there, but I joined a gym (really low promotional price) and have had 3 free sessions with a trainer. Now I'm comfortable with the whole lifting thing, so will probably cancel the gym and work out at home, or in the fitness room at work. Good luck!
  • mel128
    mel128 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/cyncetastic/view/beginner-s-weight-training-routine-230719

Great infor!
  • PeterThompson
    Options
    Barbells are versatile: plenty of exercises you can do with 1 barbell. Most exercises can be done with dumbbells too. Here's a non definite list of weight lifting exercises:

Squat. Should be part of any routine. Squats work your legs, but also the rest of your body. They are key to building strength & muscle.
    Front Squats. Variation of the Squat. Front Squats start with the bar on the front shoulders instead of on the back.
    Bench Press. The most popular exercise in the gym. The Bench Press works your chest & triceps muscles.
    Overhead Press. Push weight overhead while standing. The Overhead Press works your shoulders, triceps, back & abs.
    Deadlift. Besides working the legs, the Deadlift builds a strong back by teaching you to keep your spine rigid against a load.
    Barbell Row. Pulling weight from the floor against your lower chest. The Barbell Row works your back & biceps.
    Pendlay Row. Variation of the Barbell Row. Pendlay Row involve arching of the upper-back on the way up.
    Power Clean. Olympic Lift. The Power Clean is done by cleaning the barbell from the floor & putting it on your front shoulders.
    Jerk. Olympic Lift. The Jerk is done by lifting the weight from the front shoulders overhead while dipping under the weight.
    But most of all you need to find the dumbbell that suites you you can check this out bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump I am curious myself. I am 65 and need help.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    Barbells are versatile: plenty of exercises you can do with 1 barbell. Most exercises can be done with dumbbells too. Here's a non definite list of weight lifting exercises:

Squat. Should be part of any routine. Squats work your legs, but also the rest of your body. They are key to building strength & muscle.
    Front Squats. Variation of the Squat. Front Squats start with the bar on the front shoulders instead of on the back.
    Bench Press. The most popular exercise in the gym. The Bench Press works your chest & triceps muscles.
    Overhead Press. Push weight overhead while standing. The Overhead Press works your shoulders, triceps, back & abs.
    Deadlift. Besides working the legs, the Deadlift builds a strong back by teaching you to keep your spine rigid against a load.
    Barbell Row. Pulling weight from the floor against your lower chest. The Barbell Row works your back & biceps.
    Pendlay Row. Variation of the Barbell Row. Pendlay Row involve arching of the upper-back on the way up.
    Power Clean. Olympic Lift. The Power Clean is done by cleaning the barbell from the floor & putting it on your front shoulders.
    Jerk. Olympic Lift. The Jerk is done by lifting the weight from the front shoulders overhead while dipping under the weight.
    But most of all you need to find the dumbbell that suites you you can check this out bestadjustabledumbbellsreviews.com

Thank you for the info site.
    196355 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    what i did was doing pump classes 3 times a week you will have this class at your gym it works all muscle groups and you start of with light weights then work it up its fun as you do this to music
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

THANK YOU!!!! i am going to start this pronto. I needed a solid strength training plan.