High and low levels on the cardio machines

Options
My gym has Matrix cardio machines. I use the stair stepper, elliptical, and stationary bike (regular, not recumbent) for my cardio workouts as well as some running.

I'm trying to reduce overall fat (got a little bit of a belly and some love handle flab) just to tone up. Overall, I'm in pretty good shape despite my extra fat.

Can I have some input on the best way to burn fat v. build muscle? I don't really need muscles, I've biked all my life and have a hard time finding pants that are cut to fit over my thighs for my waist size. My calves are well built as well, so I don't need really add muscle there either. I can't pull dress pants up past my calf as it is.

Here's my current settings on the equipment:
Elliptical: Workout - Random, Level - 10, Min. RPM - 80
Bike: Workout - Random, Level - 10, Min. RPM - 95
Stair machine: Workout - Random, Level - 10, Min. Steps per min. - 65

Should I lower the level & increase RPM for a better fat burn? Do I need to use a different setting like Rolling Hills? All I know is I'm working my brains out & keeping an eye on my meals and my waistline is going NOWHERE.

Thanks!
JM

Replies

• Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Do those machines have built in heart rate monitors? There's supposed to be a target heart rate range for optimal fat burn. I just try to burn as many calories as I can as fast as I can though. Try intervals too.

Whether or not you go fast and easy or slow and hard makes very little difference. If you're doing primarily cardio you're not going to build much muscle either way. In fact, you'll probably lose some.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Well, my calves keep getting bigger. I'm thinking I may have to avoid the stair machine. However, I get my best calorie burns with it.

They do have HRMs, and I usually, am between 140-165 depending on where the random resistance lies.

JM