running

Options
best running shoes for beginners?

Replies

• theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It depends on your gait, footstrike, arch, etc. I suggest going to a local running store (preferably small time, not a chain like ****'s Sporting Goods) and getting analyzed for what you need. The proper shoe can make all the difference in the world keeping your knees hurt-free :)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Reebok Real flex are pretty awesome.
  • imlewer
    imlewer Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree, I love my RealFlex. Finishline.com often has them for the cheapest around.
  • CDR35
    CDR35 Posts: 3
    Options
    Asics kick some serious a**. IMHO. The gel-cumulus model
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    no is not 'one shoe for all' when it comes to running. go to a running store and get checked out.
  • RUNNER48WH
    RUNNER48WH Posts: 35
    Options
    Totally agree with the gait analysis by your local running store...it will save you alot of $$$ and time and potentila injury to know what type of shoe you need....

I've settled into using both the Nike+ Pegasus and the Nike+ Free....

Good luck!!
  • Shabnam222
    Shabnam222 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Brooks Trance are my favorite. Feels like I'm running on pillows.
  • RoybieOfTheRovers
    RoybieOfTheRovers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It depends on your gait, footstrike, arch, etc. I suggest going to a local running store (preferably small time, not a chain like ****'s Sporting Goods) and getting analyzed for what you need. The proper shoe can make all the difference in the world keeping your knees hurt-free :)

I agree with this 100%. I recently did this due to a string of calf injuries. Turns out is was poorly fitted shoes causing the problems. Got analysed by running shop changed my shoes. No problems now.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Reebok Real flex are pretty awesome.

I wear them to the gym for lifting but there is no way i can run in them.

Running shoes are very much personal preference. Like someone else mentioned, it depends on many factors like your foot strike, gait, etc.
    Most brands offer minimalist (like the Real Flex), neutral, stability, motion control and cushioning models. Most of the popular brands are pretty equal in quality as well. What it comes down to is the fit and what works for your stride.

Some people swear by one brand, others can't stand it. For example, I am a Saucony fan, and dislike Asics. I have found from talking to other runners that many people who like Asics dislike Saucony and vice versa. Both brands are good shoes, it simply comes down to individual fit and preference.

Getting the wrong shoe can cause problems. I strongly suggest finding a running store and getting fitted. Most of the ones I have ever been to will allow you to try the shoes for a bit and return them if they don't work out.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the gait analysis by your local running store...it will save you alot of $$$ and time and potentila injury to know what type of shoe you need....

This x2. Don't pick a shoe based on what someone else likes. Pick shoes that are fit to your feet/stride/gait/pronation.

Cheaper than surgery or physical therapy.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Can't buy running shoes until you try them on.
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Definitely get your gait assessed. I run in Brooks Adrenaline and get them at a local running store.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Brooks is m fav. Take everyone's advice and go to a running store and get fitted for the proper shoes. If you don't you may end up with a lot of foot problems that slow you down. You will not regret it. When I went they spent 2 hours with me, scanned my feet, measured them in all directions, watched me walk, jog and run with different shoes on. They definately know their stuff and it's worth your time! I'd also get some good socks to run in if you don't already have them. You do not want to wear cotton. Same with clothes, under armour or a cheaper knock-off brand will wick sweat away from you.
    Good luck and enjoy running!
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I dig my Brooks Ghosts 4...but it's all dependent on your step.

Get fitted properly.
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    wow thanks EVERYONE! It didnt even cross my mind to get fit properly!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ones that fit.

Personally I can't wear Brooks due to the way they fit and I have had broken bones in my feet. Everyone is different.
  • Strawberry_1
    Strawberry_1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Asics kick some serious a**. IMHO. The gel-cumulus model
    ^^^^
    This! Asics have the best support!
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    no is not 'one shoe for all' when it comes to running. go to a running store and get checked out.

Absolutely this.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just adding another voice to the choir suggesting you get fitted. I learned the hard way that having the right tool for the job makes a HUGE difference (go figure! :wink: ). I'm a big fan of New Balance cross trainers because I do a variety of workouts and they're perfect for my needs. However, running in them was so bad for me! The best thing I ever did for myself was to go get fitted for running shoes. My new Brooks have severely reduced the amount of pain I feel after a long run AND they've helped me improve my speed!

Good luck! :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "beginner's" running shoes, only shoes that feel comfortable on you as an individual. Go to your nearest shoe store that specializes in running (we have one near my house called Runner's Roost where I got my New Balances), ask for a fitting. They will ask you to take off your shoes and walk away and back, and the representative will be able to tell how your foot naturally falls. Based on that information (and your price range), they will be able to tell you what particular sneakers to look at.

Getting fitted costs you nothing, but NOT getting fitted could cost you an injury :P

The right sneaker for you is the one that fits your arch/foot, helps your foot striking (if you over- or under-pronate), and as the store rep said to me, "feels like you're wearing a slipper" :) Good luck!