Polar FT4F

Options
denise032
denise032 Posts: 108 Member
Just purchased this new gadget (Polar FT4F): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00386BYVM

Any tips? I've never used a HRM before, but since the weather is nicer I'm starting to do more outdoor activities and wanted a more accurate calorie burn reading.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Not sure about tips as it is pretty self explanatory and is very easy to use, but you will LOVE it! :D
  • Marie047
    Marie047 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I never do any exercise without my HRM, I have Polar FT7.

Your may be surprised at the actual amount of cals your burn compared to what MFP tells you.

My tip is rememeber to press start, I forget that occasionally, and have been exercising for a few mins without realizing :-)
  • denise032
    Options
    Thanks! I'm anxious to see how much less it's going to be compared to MFP and the machines at the gym. Can't wait til I get it. I luv new gadgets! :)
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I just upgraded to a Polar FT4F...had a Timex. I wanted some different features. Mine will be in next week :)
  • 4leggedmom
    4leggedmom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I debated on the FT4 or the FT7. I bought the FT7 yesterday on sale. I am sure the 4 is just as great. I don't workout without it. It's so much accurate than any of the machines can tell me as well as MFP. Have fun using it. I found the instuctions were self expanatory and very easy to use.
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have this and I LOVE it. Tips? Well, make sure you put the chest strap up high enough, as close to your heart as possible. I had it down too low a few times and the readings got all wonky, saying my HR was 98, then all the sudden 200, but it was really around 150. So now I have to put it in my bra, to get it closer to my heart, but have had NO problems with the readings since then! Also, I update my weight every 5-10 pounds or so in the user data. I never work out without it either. The main reason I use it is to get an accurate calorie burn. I know you will love it too!! Enjoy.
  • denise032
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have this and I LOVE it. Tips? Well, make sure you put the chest strap up high enough, as close to your heart as possible. I had it down too low a few times and the readings got all wonky, saying my HR was 98, then all the sudden 200, but it was really around 150. So now I have to put it in my bra, to get it closer to my heart, but have had NO problems with the readings since then! Also, I update my weight every 5-10 pounds or so in the user data. I never work out without it either. The main reason I use it is to get an accurate calorie burn. I know you will love it too!! Enjoy.

^^This! Definitely make sure the strap is tight.... mind kept sliding down during one of my outdoor runs so I wasn't getting any readings. I'm pretty sure the cars passing me while I was adjusting the strap while stopped on the side of the road we're wondering what the heck I was doing...