4 Miles at 9 Minutes per mile!

Options
ianconway
ianconway Posts: 194 Member
Oh man! I can't believe it. I mean, I can but gees!

So, I jogging on the treadmill down at the apartment community gym. It is renowned for throwing the circuit breaker because the treadmill, television and A/C is all wired into the same switch...

I get past mile 1 and I'm thinking, "Okay, 25% done. I'll take a quick 1 minute slowdown when I finish mile 2. Mile 2 comes up and I slow down. As I am slowing down, the TV shuts off and the treadmill stops as I'm slowing down... I pause my Nike+, run out the door to the breaker box and flip the switch.

"Okay, t.v.'s back on as well as the treadmill.." I get back going and don't even take my slowdown time as I try to hurry up before it flips again. Coming up on mile 3 and start getting fatigued and feel the need to slow down again but keep going anyways. As I pass mile 3, the power shuts off again! I run out and flip the switch once more and hop back on the treadmill and get back in my rhythm.

"Alright, I'll just finish this out without really slowing down because these 'pauses' have slowed me down enough..." As I am approaching 3.9 miles, I am out of breath but I mentally prepare myself for the last .1 mile. ZZZIPPP... THE POWER WENT OUT AGAIN! My wife, who is on the elliptical, runs out the door to flip the switch because she knows I'm almost done. I take a quick 10 second breather and get back on my way to finishing my 4 miles...

Some are thinking, "why not run outside?" Lightning and I don't really jive too well so I figured I would 'try' to get my scheduled 4 miles in at the gym.

Anywho, the moral of the story- I looked at this as a Mental Challenge; when things are going your way and get tough and aggravating, just stand up to the challenge even more powerful and you can accomplish what you have set forth!

Keep at it!
-Ian :smile:

Replies

• Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Way to keep going!:flowerforyou:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Awesome Ian!!! :drinker: Congrats.
  • AdamA
    AdamA Posts: 15
    Options
    Way to block out the little stuff and get your workout finished. I got up to get a workout in and come to find out the gym will not be open until 10am. I figured what the heck and just started walking. 5miles later and I'm happy, got it done. Anyway good job Ian! Sometimes it's the little things that mean the most.
  • ianconway
    Options
    Way to block out the little stuff and get your workout finished. I got up to get a workout in and come to find out the gym will not be open until 10am. I figured what the heck and just started walking. 5miles later and I'm happy, got it done. Anyway good job Ian! Sometimes it's the little things that mean the most.

Heck yeah, Adam! When life gives you lemons, make "sugar free" lemonaid! :drinker:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Way to keep going even with major distractions.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    GOOD JOB!!! Reminds me of a time when at my gym, all wiring is done about the same as at your place, small town, small job. Anywho, I was on the elliptical bickering to myself about all the men hogging the treadmills and when all of a sudden WHAM out goes the power! LOL The were all hauling ace at about 7-8 mph. I just couldn't help but smile. Well they don't know where the box was, so I waited, went and flipped the switch and I got a treadmill:devil:
  • ianconway
    Options
    GOOD JOB!!! Reminds me of a time when at my gym, all wiring is done about the same as at your place, small town, small job. Anywho, I was on the elliptical bickering to myself about all the men hogging the treadmills and when all of a sudden WHAM out goes the power! LOL The were all hauling ace at about 7-8 mph. I just couldn't help but smile. Well they don't know where the box was, so I waited, went and flipped the switch and I got a treadmill:devil:

LOL! That's evil, BUT you gotta do what you gotta do! :laugh:
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Ian, I am SO proud of you! You look amazing, great job :drinker:
  • ianconway
    Options
    Ian, I am SO proud of you! You look amazing, great job :drinker:

THANKS Jenny!!! :smile:

I forgot to mention in the above post that I beat my old Mile and 5k records, too! My old mile time was 9:44. I smashed it and it's now 9:08 per mile . My 5k time was 29:42. I also smashed it and it's currently 28:03 per 5k.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!