What Am I Doing Wrong????!!!!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    As someone already said, you don't really have too much weight to lose, and those last few can be difficult. Me personally, I don't technically want to lose weight but I'd like to get a tiny bit smaller, and I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably take a year to get there the way I'm doing it! (Lifting weights and watching what I eat.)

Good luck and be patient :)
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options

I have my lifestyle/activity set at sedentary then I log my daily exercise as circuit training for The 30 Day Shred DVD that I do everyday.

Every day? Are you taking rest days to recover?

No, I do it every day. I did take one day off because I wasn't home the entire day. I was very upset with myself for not getting it done that day. I guess I need to take a day off here and there?

You need to take a day off here and there, Jillian has even said this workout isn't meant to be done 30 days straight.
  • hollymurphy4
    hollymurphy4 Posts: 122
    Options
    I would get a HRM it is much more accurate so you can really calculate what goes in and how much your burn =) Hang in there!! I bet you are not sedentary with 4 kiddos too =)

Thanks so much! I will get a HRM quick : )
  • hollymurphy4
    Options

I have my lifestyle/activity set at sedentary then I log my daily exercise as circuit training for The 30 Day Shred DVD that I do everyday.

Every day? Are you taking rest days to recover?

No, I do it every day. I did take one day off because I wasn't home the entire day. I was very upset with myself for not getting it done that day. I guess I need to take a day off here and there?

You need to take a day off here and there, Jillian has even said this workout isn't meant to be done 30 days straight.

Ok. I will take maybe one day off a week.
  • hollymurphy4
    Options
    I looked at your diary, and it appears you are varying your calories drastically from day to day. 500 calories one day, 1500 the next, 1200 the day after that, etc. That's going to really affect your weight loss I'm guessing. 500 calories a day is NOT healthy, you should be trying to eat at LEAST your BMR.

MFP has a BMR calculator here > http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Then once you know that, change your cals to your BMR and eat back your exercise calories here and there, and maybe even go a little longer with your workouts using the extra energy you're consuming.

Good luck!

I've only been very low on my calories one day due to an upset stomach. I just can't eat when I feel sick.

I've used the BMR calculator. It said around 1400 calories. But my daily calories is set at 1200 right now. My daily exercise (30 Day Shred) is 247 calories. So that bumps me up to 1447 calories daily.

You should set your Net goal to 1400 cals. For example Goal 1400-247 for exercise. Eat those 247 cals back for a total consumtion of 1427, but only a net of 1400.

Ok. I'll do that. Thanks so much!
  • Krisgren
    Krisgren Posts: 95
    Options
    I don't really have any advice for you but hang in there....I was really frustrated at the beginning too, I made tons of changes and nothing nothing nothing on the scale, maybe a pound or two here and there, even my measurements although they have changed it has been nothing drastic. Go figure though, I have gone from a size 10 pant to a size 7 and I dunno, maybe 10-15 pounds total and FINALLY noticed my belly going down in the past two weeks (FINALLY!!! FINALLY FINALLY!!!) I've had 4 larger babies and am quite short so my stomach is ummmm lets say stretchy???? lol. That's my main problem area. Anyways, keep doing what you are doing, keep searching for answers and suggestions on here and take all advice with a grain of salt.....it sounds like you are doing well and eventually something has got to give, I promise!!!!
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    IF you are doing everything right, than you are just retaining water due to the exercise. Just keep going and don't worry about the scale. You called this a journey, but you're freaking out afer how many days? Eat right, exercise and everything will happen in due time. Just keep going, it will all come out in the wash.
  • hollymurphy4
    Options
    I don't really have any advice for you but hang in there....I was really frustrated at the beginning too, I made tons of changes and nothing nothing nothing on the scale, maybe a pound or two here and there, even my measurements although they have changed it has been nothing drastic. Go figure though, I have gone from a size 10 pant to a size 7 and I dunno, maybe 10-15 pounds total and FINALLY noticed my belly going down in the past two weeks (FINALLY!!! FINALLY FINALLY!!!) I've had 4 larger babies and am quite short so my stomach is ummmm lets say stretchy???? lol. That's my main problem area. Anyways, keep doing what you are doing, keep searching for answers and suggestions on here and take all advice with a grain of salt.....it sounds like you are doing well and eventually something has got to give, I promise!!!!

Thank you for the encouragement! I'm currenlty a size 10 and need to lose about 15 lbs. I know sometimes it's harder when you only have a little to lose. I'm really hoping it starts to come off soon.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories for 9 weeks and working out 3 x a week and I mean a vigerous 1 hr 1/2- and actually found out I was under eating. AND: I did plateau after I lost only 10 pounds. I was so aggrivated and frustrated- head aches and still tired and so limited on food choices. But I did the TEDEE. Upped my calories to 1500 and Feel better -more food options and lost 2 lbs. and I just started this tuesday-today is thursday. Dont get so hung up on food and adjust your numbers according to what you burn- you will fail and make yourself sick. Hes right. Go to fitnessfrog.com go to the calculator- be GOD HONEST and get your TEDEE subtract 15 to 20% and roung down to the lower number (JUST an Example:TEDEE # -15% 1578=1500), and thats the calories you should be eating. Your body needs fuel to burn, otherwise you will go into starvation mode and get no where when your body holds on to every bit of food you eat. You have to eat clean. A little something here and there is ok, as long as you stay in your calorie range AND make sure its a health version (example: Ice cream= skinny cow (low calorie). Hope this helps. STOP EATING BACK THE CALORIES YOU HAVE BURNED DOING EXERCISE. Its pointless to do that. And dont get caught up on numbers, as you exercise you will gain muscle and loose fat. sometimes the scale wont move at all, but your clothes tell a whole different story. weigh in once a week in the am. and stay away from fastfood-even fastfood salds, diet drinks-all of them.
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    In going back a few days in your diary, you really need to watch fat intake as well. Calories are great, but the closer you get to your goal weight the harder it is to lose and fat (especially saturated fat) intake can play a big part in not losing.

Also, keep measuring. Muscle does not weigh more than fat, but it does take up a smaller area therefore 5lbs of muscle will look leaner/tighter/more fit than 5lbs of pure fat.

You may also be overestimating calories burned and underestimating calories eaten. Some of your entries are not complete and some are very off (fat/calories/protien).

Increase protien, lower carbs and Increase water, lower sodium.

Don't get discouraged. You're ticker says you want to lose 16lbs - so it may very well be that you need to trick your body into losing weight. Start new routines, maintain the same caloric intake for 1-2wks (1400cal per day give or take 200 or less) and don't stress!

Best of luck.
  • hollymurphy4
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories for 9 weeks and working out 3 x a week and I mean a vigerous 1 hr 1/2- and actually found out I was under eating. AND: I did plateau after I lost only 10 pounds. I was so aggrivated and frustrated- head aches and still tired and so limited on food choices. But I did the TEDEE. Upped my calories to 1500 and Feel better -more food options and lost 2 lbs. and I just started this tuesday-today is thursday. Dont get so hung up on food and adjust your numbers according to what you burn- you will fail and make yourself sick. Hes right. Go to fitnessfrog.com go to the calculator- be GOD HONEST and get your TEDEE subtract 15 to 20% and roung down to the lower number (JUST an Example:TEDEE # -15% 1578=1500), and thats the calories you should be eating. Your body needs fuel to burn, otherwise you will go into starvation mode and get no where when your body holds on to every bit of food you eat. You have to eat clean. A little something here and there is ok, as long as you stay in your calorie range AND make sure its a health version (example: Ice cream= skinny cow (low calorie). Hope this helps. STOP EATING BACK THE CALORIES YOU HAVE BURNED DOING EXERCISE. Its pointless to do that. And dont get caught up on numbers, as you exercise you will gain muscle and loose fat. sometimes the scale wont move at all, but your clothes tell a whole different story. weigh in once a week in the am. and stay away from fastfood-even fastfood salds, diet drinks-all of them.

Thanks so much for your help. I don't eat fast food (nasty). I only weigh once a week and it's at the same time. I will def. check out the website.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You really do need to eat more. I didn't have a lot to lose (only 10 or so lbs) but it came off quickly. I run a lot, but I also eat a lot. I hardly ever make my goal, and I'm still losing. I do have my activity level set to sedentary, cause I sit at work, but outside of work I really never stop going. If you're mom of 4, I'm sure you're the same. You can check out my diary, but I warn you, it's not pretty. I started 3/15, and in one month lost 9 lbs. I have lost 3 more since, which is much slower, but at least I haven't gained. Try the more food, I think it will work for you. Good luck! :)
  • hollymurphy4
    Options

Thanks so much for your help. I don't eat fast food (nasty). I only weigh once a week and it's at the same time. I will def. check out the website.

Ok, I just calculated my TDEE and subtracted 15% like you said and it came out to 1900!!!!!! That can't be right!!!! That's an insane amount of calories. Right now I eat about 1400. I can't imagine eating 1900 calories and not gaining.
  • aclowe01
    aclowe01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the ingredients on the foods you are eating? Hidden things like fructose, salt ,sugar, modified corn starch, anything with sodium, all can hinder or alter how your body processes the food. I would suggest going 'Clean' with all your food items.
  • hollymurphy4
    Options
    You really do need to eat more. I didn't have a lot to lose (only 10 or so lbs) but it came off quickly. I run a lot, but I also eat a lot. I hardly ever make my goal, and I'm still losing. I do have my activity level set to sedentary, cause I sit at work, but outside of work I really never stop going. If you're mom of 4, I'm sure you're the same. You can check out my diary, but I warn you, it's not pretty. I started 3/15, and in one month lost 9 lbs. I have lost 3 more since, which is much slower, but at least I haven't gained. Try the more food, I think it will work for you. Good luck! :)

I'm starting to think that that's really my problem. I just went to fitnessfrog.com to calculate my TDEE and it says I should be eating 1900 calories!!!!! That's crazy!!! Right now I only eat around 1400. Maybe that's why every night at about 7:30pm I'm so sleepy I can't hold my eyes open. I thought when you exercise you have more energy, but I don't at all! With everyones help on here today, I think I've figured out the problem!!!!!!!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options

Ok, I just calculated my TDEE and subtracted 15% like you said and it came out to 1900!!!!!! That can't be right!!!! That's an insane amount of calories. Right now I eat about 1400. I can't imagine eating 1900 calories and not gaining.

You'd be surprised :)

I upped my calories from around 1400 to over 1900. i did gain a little at first (4 -5 lbs), but i could tell its all water. I've lost 3 of that now. The kicker though is that i lost 5.8 inches overall in a week. That alone helped me get over the weight thing, and concentrate on eating all of my calories. I'm much happier now that i eat more btw. :-D Good luck to you!!