New to Low Carb

Hi,
I have recently been told by my doctor that she wants me to go low carb / no sweets for a month. My glucose level was high and she wants to see what impact a low carb diet has on it after 30 days. I have always been watching fats and cholesterol and calories so this is all new and different. The thought of eating a lot of meat and cheese goes against anything I've ever done LOL.

Anyhow, any advice you can offer, snacks that work for you, or anything else low carb, please let me know (and add me as a friend).

Thanks!!!!!!!
Tracy

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    I'd suggest that you probably want to look into a food plan like Atkins, depending on how low-carb you really want to go.
  • smagan1991
    smagan1991 Posts: 14 Member
    If you go on a low carb diet expect and aim for it to be high in fat because that is what your body is going to be running on. If you can stand the taste of them pork rinds are a good snack, but I just eat a lot of string cheese. Also you'll probably consume less calories naturally because the fat will make you feel fuller.
  • kraft_kris
    kraft_kris Posts: 157 Member
    you could also try phase 1 of South Beach....It is very heart healthy and low carb....it is designed to eliminate your body's sugar cravings.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,490 Member
    Or you could try The Primal/Paleo lifestyle...
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    You'll want to do higher fat and protein percentage. Eat a lot of veggies and cut down or eliminate fruits. If you want some fruit, go with berries, they are lower in sugar.

You may consider checking out Jimmy Moore's podcast Livin La Vida Low Carb. He's got some great guests on the podcast and some great advice.

I would recommend checking out Paleo//primal eating. Its about eating real foods, mostly veggies, meat, and whole fat, grassfed dairy if you tolerate dairy well. You don't eat any of the processed foods that can go along with Atkins and South Beach.

While I'm not necessarily low carb, I am usually below 100g a day (don't look at this weekend though!). Feel free to friend me :)