Boston Butt Roast

Options
Ok so I am trying a new recipe it has 5lb Boston butt roast and pineapple in a slow cooker... I put 5 lb Boston butt roast in the MFP system and it says it has 5,000 calories! Now how is that possible!!! I tried to google how many calories in a Boston butt roast and I couldn't come up with anything. I found one pork loin roast for 110 grams in the system that was around calories so I used that but I dont know if that's right! What do you guys think?

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I just commented on your status, it would come down to 20 servings of meat at 4 ounces each for 250 calories, so it is probably right.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Why don't you think the amount of calories you found would be correct? I smoked a Boston Pork Butt this weekend and the entry I found in the MFP database said it was 212 calories for 4 oz. That would be 4240 for 5 pounds.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Did you trim the fat? A pork butt usually has a lot of fat on it, but it can be trimmed too.

5000 calories for 5lbs of meat doesn't sound all that unreasonable. I put "pork butt" into the calculator at 80 oz (5 lbs) and got 4,240 calories. I mean, you won't be eating the whole thing, so its not like you will be consuming all of those calories.
  • hjackson1226
    hjackson1226 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right...That is alot of meat and a boston butt not only has a fat layer that renders while slow cooking, there is also fat marbled in the meat if that makes any sense. We smoke our boston butts and pull them while they are hot to get as much fat out/off as possible. Just log it and enjoy!
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I guess that is right! I dk why I was thinking 4 portions so the calorie count was coming out over 1000 per serving. I changed it to 20 servings which will be the 4 oz portion mentioned by a few of you which is about 1/2 cup and it came down to 224 calories a piece. So YAY! You guys are awesome I am a totally newbie when it comes to cooking so I really appreciate it! :flowerforyou: for everyone! :heart:
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    bump