Leg pain?

Options
I went walking Thursday evening. I was on my 3rd lap and I started to run. At the end of the lap, I felt something pull in my calf muscle (at the base). It was finally easing up today, and my little girl wiped out on her bike. I took off my flip flops and took off running in bare feet. Now, not only is the one leg still sore, the other feels just like the first one did on Thursday. Any suggestions as to what I did and why it keeps doing this? I only ran about 100 yrds to my daughter. How am I supposed to exercise when I can not even run 100 yds without hurting myself!? Help. Any suggestions would help.

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I went walking Thursday evening. I was on my 3rd lap and I started to run. At the end of the lap, I felt something pull in my calf muscle (at the base). It was finally easing up today, and my little girl wiped out on her bike. I took off my flip flops and took off running in bare feet. Now, not only is the one leg still sore, the other feels just like the first one did on Thursday. Any suggestions as to what I did and why it keeps doing this? I only ran about 100 yrds to my daughter. How am I supposed to exercise when I can not even run 100 yds without hurting myself!? Help. Any suggestions would help.

Maybe you need some really good, supportive sneakers. Maybe someone else came come up with something else to help you out. :smile:
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I have heard that a lack of Potassium or certain B vitamins (B12 in particular) can cause these kinds of problems. You might want to make sure you are getting enough of these.
  • l0ttie
    l0ttie Posts: 18
    Options
    Make sure you warm up properly by stretching before and after your walk/run. I experinced some thing similar to this about a year ago and I thought I would never get over this. I actually had to stop the walking and do water aerobics until I did enough streching to my sore muscles. Since your are just experiencing this take a couple of ALEVE tonight and stretch tomorrow before your walk, in a good pair of sneakers of course and continue your walk. Hopefully this will help. If not ease into the running until your body is ready.
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would recommend making an appointment with an Ortho. I sprained my ankle at Disney and 3 weeks later fell in my backyard and broke it. I can't help but think if I had taken better care...had a strong ankle...I would have never dislocated and broke it in 3 places!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Another angle- if you have been, up until this point, inactive or very lightly active, chances are your muscles aren't as strong as they could be.

For now- Ice and relax those legs. Call your doc if you feel the need.

Once you're healed, start working on strengthening your ankles and lower calves. Calf raises are wonderful for this- and you can do them anywhere.

I hope you heal well and feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • casamelsmom
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I have a good pair of easy spirt shoes. I think the warm up thing will help. I work at a therapy center, so I will ask one of the PT's.