Want to run...but Plantar Fasciitis just won't go away!

Options
Fitwam
Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in my left heel at end of March by a podiatrist. I was given some "flimsy" inserts and the boot to sleep in. Kudos to him for not asking me to stop running (had a 5k I had signed up for end of April). I purchased some inserts that were rated high online and those did help a little during the rest of my training and I will slide them in my golf shoes when I am out golfling.

I did run in the 5k...ended up walking some in the race because it was on a beach (and the pounding just hurt)...woke up and actually had bruises on my right foot.

Again, podiatrist indicated I just over compensated and in his words "just beat the %$LL out of your foot".

Really haven't run since. I still wear the boot and do stretches..still feel some pain. I WANT TO RUN! I miss it...and really want to train for 1/2 marathon in November.

HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO RUN/TRAIN with PF? What works for you? I had someone recommend a PT who does massages ...I am getting really frustrated.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    PF is probably the most common reason for foot pain in runners, luckily for most of us ice and stretching seem to relive the worst symptoms.

Here are a few links that I hope you find helpful. The biggest thing is patience. Ice, stretch and work back into running very gradually. If you wear heels to work ditch them for flat shoes (my feet will complain if I wear my cowboy boots for a whole day......yes, I own cowboy boots :tongue: )

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-275--12037-1-1-2,00.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/runnersbody/

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/b/2007/01/05/new-stretch-decreases-plantar-fasciitis-pain.htm
  • Fitwam
    Fitwam Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links. I do some of those things!!

I hate to say it..but yes....I wear heels to work..just can't give those up totally yet...but hey, it least it's the low heels now. Doesn't that count for something?

Truly appreciate the advice. Hope to be back running soon!
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just developed this. Doc said no running for 4-6 weeks! I plan to follow his orders until he says it's ok. Hey it's significantly less recovery time than a stress fracture. Take up bike riding or swimming in the interim and let it heal properly. I've found that the night splint really helps a lot.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I was going to say lots of ice....but I see you've already been told. Good luck : )
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    on the heels thing, my mom was diagnosed with the same and her doc actually recommended that she take a break from heels and wear her tennis shoes with her inserts for a couple weeks until her symptoms subsided. totally worked.
  • andrea198721
    andrea198721 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who buys those bouncy balls from the little machine at Old Navy and rolls her feet on them. Also you can take a styrofoam cup and fill it with water, freeze it and then peel the styrofoam off and roll your feet on that. You stretch and ice at the same time. I know its rough so just hang in there!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I had to switch from running in the evening to running in the morning.

If I run at night, I am totally hobbled for the evening but if I run in the morning, I have very little pain because I am walking around and "working the kinks" out.

I also ice after each run and do stretches pretty much any time I think of it.

I also had to stop running for several weeks to let my heel heal up a little.

I do have some heel inserts but the kids have ran off with them somewhere....

I sometimes where my brace at night, but that doesn't really help me much....sometimes my heel feels worse in the morning.

That's what worked for me....may not work for you but it may be worth a try.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I developed it while training for a marathon (never done one before)...went to a PT and he said "if your not worried about a PB time but just care about getting around, I can get you to do that!" I defiantly just wanted to complete it! I worked with him a few times a week for the 4 weeks before the race..stretches, ice and switched to cycling for my training! The treatment was painful but on race day I did take Advil and Tylenol (switching back and forth) I know that is not ideal but I had to.Unfortunately the run was in Prague which was beautiful but tons of cobble stone streets, ouch! On mile 7 it got pretty painful but I pushed through and am happy to say I DID IT! Not a great time (5 hrs 12) but hey, I did it!! It still plays up on me every once and a while but not a big deal! One thing that helps is to roll the ball of your foot on a tennis ball. Stretches the tendon!! Good luck, do what you need to rest it but also know when to push through. Go for it on race da!!!!!c
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    ...forgot to mention, the PT made me a great set of insoles which I still wear in my running shoes and would NEVER be without them. It is worth the money having them made by a professional with a mould of your feet!!! Flat feet..what a curse!!!
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, ok not for running but for walking, and i was fitted for foot forms. they took plaster casts of my feet and made hard plastic forms with cushy heal bits under them. You just have to demand it. My sis has been suffering for a couple of years and will not get this done. Makes it a bit hard to feel bad for her pain when she hasn't even tried to see if something could help.
  • Chocoholic72
    Chocoholic72 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know PF is no joke. The one thing that helped me over the course of a few years was wearing the night splint. I also made sure to massage my foot when I could handle the pain and most importantly anti-inflammatories and ice. I don't run for a few reason of my own (the shear pain in my shins from running and the fact that my inner ears hurt a great deal after I run for too long — weird, I know), however it took quite some time for me to get to the point where I could get up in the morning and not have severe pain in my foot getting out of bed. Good luck to you!