Rice Recipe suggestions

LBash03
LBash03 Posts: 72
Tonight for dinner we are having grilled chicken and corn on the cob. I want to make a side of rice but i dont want to use the packaged rice because of the amount of sodium there is. I have brown rice, cheese, onion and seasonings and I was thinking about putting something together with that but I was wondering if you anyone had any suggestions!

Replies

• sasser215
    sasser215 Posts: 4 Member
    I love to make my rice with coconut oil. It adds a nice taste to it. very delicious. Then I just mix with low sodium soy sauce and tonnes of veggies.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    Make your rice pilaf style. Sautee some onions in your favorite oil. Add the rice to the onions, mix and "toast the rice." It will smell a little nutty or popcorn like. When it starts to smell, you are finished. Then add salt or replace the water with broth (even diced tomatoes would be tasty) and cook as normal.

Other variations: coconut rice: add coconut milk, garlic and ginger to the rice when you are about to add the water. You only need about 1/3 canned coconut milk (I haven't tried the boxed ones, so I don't know if they taste different or have additives, so stick to the canned one in the ethnic foods aisle).

saffron rice: follow the instructions above and add some bloomed saffron to the water (you only need a pinch)

Make a jambalaya style rice: when cooking the onions, add garlic and chopped bell peppers with some spices: thyme, maybe some saffron. Then add chopped tomatoes, squash, mushrooms and add the water and cook as usual.
  • dot1212
    dot1212 Posts: 74 Member
    I love your suggestions. We eat a lot of brown rice in our house and one of my variations is a makeshift Spanish rice with sauteed onions, green peppers, garlic and add tomatoes with a tablespoon of tomato paste for the liquid. I usually wing the recipe but there are many variation.