1200 calories is it really the bare minimum?

hasiangirl
hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I see it all the time and I was actually starting to believe it, but i think depending on a persons height and weight the requirements deffinately change....I eat anywhere from 800-1200 calories a day mostly 1,000...by the end of the day I am completely satisfied and have been aside from the first 2 days of starting this journey...I reach almost all my requirments for the day aside from carbs because I have cut out starches, breads, and pastas...the foods that I choose to eat are pretty nutritious and aside from a prepackaged meal once a week (MAYBE) Everything is fresh or homemade...Now here's where the height and weight requirements come into play...I am 4'10"tall the 1200 bare minimum was made for females that range anywhere from 5'2"-5'-7" tall...which makes perfect sense...the taller u are the more u need to eat...I don't feel any lack of energy aside from the lack of sleep i get sometimes ... but I have 2 kids ...i cook and clean all day pretty much and then i go and exercise for a good 40-60mins at the end of my night and then relax...i dont feel fatigued or tired ...i am just tired of seeing "1200" as the bare minimum when I believe I have given my body good food esp a lot healthier than what I used to eat....and if I was in starvation mode wouldnt i not be losing any wait?...and for the last few weeks I have lost 1-3 pounds a week...it's coming off slowly like everyone else and not super fast...also I have eaten 1200-1500 cals a day for a while and was staying at the same weight...so PERSONALLY IMHO I believe that the bare minimum is deff diff with everyone even someone that is 4'10" not just people who are on average above 5'2"

Replies

• kankan213
    kankan213 Posts: 105
    Im pretty sure that the 1200 calories has nothing to do with how tall you are, it is the amount of calories needed to fuel the bodies organs. 4'10 or 5'7 we all have the same internally functioning organs. I beleive there is also some rule about adding a certain amount of calories for every inch your above 5'0"
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    I was listening to Jillian's radio show and she said that 1200 is no longer the bare min. anymore. She is doing the new season of the biggest loser and they went as low as 800 calories and that was doctor recommended. When I was eating 1200 I really wasn't ever hungry. I have been off the wagon for a while so I'm working my way back down.
  • shaleah77
    shaleah77 Posts: 89
    I don't go by the 1200 cals a day either. I know it is heavily debated, but there is all sorts of information out there on the net and it is pretty hard to figure out what is what! Some believe if you've been on a few diets in the past you've already lowered your metabolism for life etc. If that were true...wouldn't everyone have a ruined metabolism? I mean we've all been ill to where we couldn't eat for a day, or two or three etc.

I don't think people should starve themselves- it cannot be good. I also don't believe that 1200 cals can possibly fit both a 4'10" woman and one that is 6'2"! Just as their ideal weights wouldn't be the same (less weight less calories, more weight more calories blah blah blah)

There is information on the net about doctors putting very obese patients on VLCD (very low calorie diets). These usually consist of supplements, not food. Also there is other information out there about a study that was called the Minnesota starvation study. Something to the effect they took 40 some men and put them on a certain amount of cals a day and even cut their BMR in half. What I read was- they found their metabolims were not affected long term and that their body didn't start using muscle, bone or organ tissue for fuel until the person got to 5% body fat or lower. This is just something I read...on the net no less. And you know how that goes.

If you are concerned, you should think about making an appt. to see your doctor and go by what he/she says. :flowerforyou:
This discussion has been closed.