confusion on general report page ;(

Shakes
Shakes Posts: 54
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Im confused with the general progress/ nutrition report. :mad: I'm always around 1200 calories, but I work at a fast passed waitress/bartender jobs, (usually 6 + hours). I log it in under walking either leisure or moderate depending on the day but for some reason that nutrition and progress report says Ive gone up. Basically Im burning my working calories minus 400-500 give or take, yet it shows that Im not progressing. What do I do? :noway:

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Just to clarify, you're eating 1200, and logging 400-500 exercise calories from working as a waitress? Are you also eating some/all of those exercise cals back? If not you're probably not eating enough. How often are you weighing yourself & entering that into MFP? It's best to weigh only 1x a week or less.
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    What you need do is redo your activity level to active or very active and this way it will give you more cals. to start your day. The key to lossing weight is actually getting your fitness level right. Since you have a bartender/waitress jobs and this is your primary job don't count on the excercise cals from it. Your body will get use to your job (meaning moving, holding/carring items, ect) very quickly. You need excercise from some other place or source like a gym, a park, a school track ect. With excercise you will get more cals to have for you whole day. For example I get 1560 cals a day but when I excercise I will usually have an extra 700 cals. So 1560 + 700 cals = 2260 cals a day I get to have. If you fall below 1200 cals a day you probably won't lose any weight. But if you eat all of your excercise cals or atleat some of them to get you back up to the 1200 cals a day then you would probably start to lose.
    I hope I didn't confuse you to much
  • Shakes
    Shakes Posts: 54
    What you need do is redo your activity level to active or very active and this way it will give you more cals. to start your day. The key to lossing weight is actually getting your fitness level right. Since you have a bartender/waitress jobs and this is your primary job don't count on the excercise cals from it. Your body will get use to your job (meaning moving, holding/carring items, ect) very quickly. You need excercise from some other place or source like a gym, a park, a school track ect. With excercise you will get more cals to have for you whole day. For example I get 1560 cals a day but when I excercise I will usually have an extra 700 cals. So 1560 + 700 cals = 2260 cals a day I get to have. If you fall below 1200 cals a day you probably won't lose any weight. But if you eat all of your excercise cals or atleat some of them to get you back up to the 1200 cals a day then you would probably start to lose.
    I hope I didn't confuse you to much

See the only thing is work is my exercise. I log in so many calories burned because I generally walk to work .75 mile one way, and then home. Working long days leaves no gym time. Plus any crunches/squats/core/stretching I don't count towards my exercise counter :ohwell: Eatting around 1000 calories a day fills me up. I never feel hungry and I dont do without eating. I don't understand how eatting more will make me lost weight :huh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

See the only thing is work is my exercise. I log in so many calories burned because I generally walk to work .75 mile one way, and then home. Working long days leaves no gym time. Plus any crunches/squats/core/stretching I don't count towards my exercise counter :ohwell: Eatting around 1000 calories a day fills me up. I never feel hungry and I dont do without eating. I don't understand how eatting more will make me lost weight :huh:

It's a long description but click on the link in my sig and there are posts that talk about eating your exercise calories, and explain why it's important.

Also, I agree with redoing your activity level and not logging work as exercise.

See, anything we do repetitively for long periods, the body becomes very good at, and with the exception of VERY strenuous exercise, you actually end up burning far fewer calories than you would think. For instance, if you were a mailman, you may walk 5 or 6 hours a day, now for someone else, with the same build (who isn't a mailman) , maybe that comes to 1500 or 1800 extra calories, but for that mailman it's probably more like 500 or 600 calories (that's not exact and maybe off by a few hundred). Why? Because the muscles he is using become trained at that specific activity, and muscle memory increases muscle efficiency, and efficient muscle use far less energy to perform a task.
    This is also why most trainers recommend you change your workout routine every 6 weeks or so, to avoid muscle memory.
    Activity level takes this into account, so were I you, I would up my activity level by one level, and not record the work activity as exercise.
This discussion has been closed.