Trying not to become discouraged

Options
2»

Replies

• ready2tryagain42
    Options
    Three pounds is three pounds. Be proud of the loss and keep on going!!! Drink lots of water..and maybe eat more calories...you are obviously gaining muscle...the weight will eventually come off too! Good luck to you!! :)
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a lot of fruits cut back on fruits to one to two servings a day and replace with low carb veggies like carrots, broccoli and cauliflower. Believe it or not but fruits have a lot of carbs because of the natural sugars in them. If you have to eat fruits, the best fruits are berries because they contain lots of fiber and they are lower in carbs. Hope this helps.
  • rbrea001
    rbrea001 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that Ashley!! You motivated me and I'm not the one asking questions :)
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It could be muscle. It could also be water weight slowing you down. But I lose about 3/4lbs a month, Never going over calories, Drinking water, burning over 3000 weekly (2500 on a busy week), Some treats but generally being fairly good. I do have PCOS which also slows things down but still.. slow and steady and you will get there! :)
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Keep on working at it! You are not the first person with this issue. If you are working hard and keeping under your calories, the weight loss will come when it is ready (which sadly is probably not the same as when you are ready).

Weight loss is a funny thing for everybody. Women especially seem to have inconsitent results from everything I have read. The scale can lie to you. There could be many reasons for this. Just to name a few:

You are still new and this and your body is still trying to figure out what it needs to do to cope with the new demands you are putting on it. When you start working muscles that aren't used to getting worked, they pull water into themselves as they try to repair themselves from the microtears created by exercise (that's how they grow), and that can add weight for weeks until the body gets used to working hard day in and day out.

Women's cycles (disclaimer, I am guy I only know what I read) cause water weight loss and gain throughout the month, which screws up the scale results.

There is something I have had dieticians and trainers write about called the "whoosh effect" where weight stays on for weeks in spite of lowered calories and regular exercise, and then "whoosh" pounds come off 3 and 4 at a time for some reason.

Muscle gain also lowers the loss of pounds, but will reduce your body size in inches, keep a lookout for this in action.

Even, when you weigh yourself matters and you can gain or loose a couple of pounds during the day if you are like a lot of people depending on when you last ate, when you last used the bathroom, and so on.

Give it 60 days, and you will see results! Use your favorite pair of jeans as a measuring stick and ignore the scale for a couple of weeks. Good Luck!:drinker: :smooched:
  • Chantal34
    Chantal34 Posts: 128
    Options
    ever watch biggest loser? They exercised constantly, and sometimes only lost 3 lbs.

I'd love to lose that per week!

I am really beginning to hate that show. :huh:
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Dont give up just yet. I had some weeks where I didnt lose anything. Someone told me to measure myself and I did and I saw that I had lost inches. You might want to do this. Eventually you will see more weight loss. Just know that this is not only about losing weight but to live a healthier lifestyle. 3 pounds is not bad at all. Just keep doing what you are doing. Feel free to add me for encouragement
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you aren't eating 1200 calories/day and burning 4000+ over your BMR.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My advice will be to open your diary if you want true advice. You say you are burning about 4000 calories a week... are you eating those calories back? What is your net caloric intake? Have you taken your body measurements and set yourself up to eat the correct amount of food each day? You cannot burn that many calories per week and expect to lose weight in a fast fashion unless you are feeding your body correctly.

Check out the tools on www.fat2fitradio.com. Get your military body fat ratio and then figure out your BMR and TDEE. Eat between those two numbers and and make sure you are giving your body enough protein to keep it going. If you feel fatigued during the day or your sleep is disrupted these are signs that you may not be feeding your body what it needs.

There is a group here that you can join where the members will help you up your calories to the correct amount. It is something like women eating over 2000 a day. There are some women who are 5' nothing that are eating that many calories. I am 5'9.5" and I eat 1850 as a base and then I eat my exercise calories on top of that because I figure my TDEE at a sedentary level.

Good luck with your journey. It does take time. It takes determination. It takes dedication.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Be patient. It will come off. Just the payoff in how you are beginning to feel should be incentive enough to continue.You sound like you are off to an awesome start!!
  • fluturca
    fluturca Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm using 1200 calories as a base and then eating back what I exercise.
    I'm one of those people who is always starving when they exercise!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm using 1200 calories as a base and then eating back what I exercise.
    I'm one of those people who is always starving when they exercise!

When you do the BMR test (go to Tools at the top and run the test)... what does it give you? I would suggest making that (or slightly above it) your daily net target. It might help to change your goal to 1 lb weight loss per week. You'll get a higher amount and the weight may start coming off faster.
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I agree, Don't give up! No matter what you are doing good things for your body.

And remember, losing weight slowly usually means you will be able to keep it off and it is more of a lifestyle change. That is what I have to keep telling myself. I have been at this since January and feel like the loss is slow, but every pound adds up to something big.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!