Calling All Lifters & PTs - Judge my Exercise Routine

Options
I was always too shy to get a PT; so I goggled and created a routine that killed me in the beginning but is getting easier. Please judge it and let me know how I can make it better! I alternate leg and arm days and sometimes do full body with the machines. I run to and from the gym also. I know you probably need the machines and weights but I don't know the names and would embarrass myself trying to describe them. Also, I usually keep my heart rate between 145 and 180 and am in the gym for 60-90 minutes and my average calorie burn per my Polar HRM is 800-1,000 cals. My main goals are to decrease my body fat % and build mass in my a**! Thanks in advance for your input.

Also, sorry for the context, I was giving someone else instructions on my routine.

Warm Up -
Speed Walk Treadmill 5.0 mph - 5 minutes
Jog Treadmill - 5.5 mph - 5 mins

Workout -
Run Treadmill - 6.5 mph - 1 min
Jog Treadmill - 5.5 mph - 1 min
Alternate this combo for a total of 8 mins

Lift -
5x5 Lifts/Reps - 3 weight machines
After 3 machines - get back on the treadmill and run at 7mph for 90 seconds – 2 mins depending on how long it takes to get my hr back up to around 180ish.

After 3 machines - get (2) 10 lb dumbbells and do lunges across the gym floor for 90 seconds – 2 mins

After 3 machines - head to the smith machine and squat 5 sets of 5 and squat heavy - if you don't feel comfortable doing squats on the machine pick up a barbell and add weights to each side and do it in front of the mirror. Google squat form to get basic form.

At this point I usually do 3-7 different free weights with dumbbells in front of the mirror. I think bodybuilder.com has little worksheets you can print out and take to show you how to do it. I still carry my handouts to the gym for free weights. I don't care if I look like a nerd.

Cool Down -
Get a mat and do planks - I usually do (3) 60 - 90 second planks and then (2) 30 second side planks on each side.

I usually run home from the gym and lay in my kitchen floor for 30 minutes and try not to throw up.

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you're using machines for stronglifts?

oops, nevermind, you didn't say stronglifts. It was the 5 x 5 I saw.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    you're using machines for stronglifts?

oops, nevermind, you didn't say stronglifts. It was the 5 x 5 I saw.

Nope, never researched strong lifts but maybe I should! I started out doing 3x10 reps but like the 5x5 better. Sometimes I alternate, I think it is my ADHD, I can't do any one thing for too long or I get bored.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing way to much for one gym session.. and for what your goals are.

Personally I would split your days into cardio and weight lifting.. Try to get 2-3 weight lifting only days in, and 2-3 cardio days in. Take one rest day a week. Your muscles are going to repair themselves and grow when you are resting..which is why it's important to have a rest day.

If you keep going like you are, then you are going to risk over training.. if you haven't done so already.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Options
    Bump
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My main goals are to decrease my body fat % and build mass in my a**! Thanks in advance for your input.

Personally I would just do all the cardio in once piece and not jump back and forth between weights and cardio. That's just too confusing. It's not as if your muscles will get cold when you're doing weights. It also would probably be better for you to do the weights before you do cardio. You need energy to lift and if you use it all up during weight training then your body will be more likely to use fat stores during the cardio afterwards.

I guess you could try doing the round on all machines but it would be a good idea to have specific goals for each day. Do your back and biceps, chest and triceps, etc. That lets you rest body parts while still working out others the next day. You need rest and recovery to grow muscles.

Personally I wouldn't do cardio on leg days (Not after at least). If you do it right your legs will be jelly and you will feel like crawling home.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you're new to lifting, you're probably better off going with a proven beginner's program. Check out Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, or Starting Strength.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Is this something you came up with yourself? If so, ditch it.

If you're into lifting heavy and want to build up real strength, do strong-lifts or starting strength for 3-6 months.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that's a pretty cool shot at trying to come up with your own method, gratz for giving it a shot.

I agree with Sublog in that you should probably start off with something that already has structure built-in like Stronglifts or Starting Strength. As you progress and learn you'll be better at making your own.

5x5 is fine, whether it's Bill Starr's, Charles Poliquin, Stronglifts, Mad Dog, whatever... but that programming is primarily intended for compound lifts and maybe olympic lifts.

Cardio on lifting days is fine, I just recommend doing a full cardio session last in the day and maybe only 30-minutes tops.
  • Jguitar83
    Jguitar83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Before going too in depth on a workout, it would be helpful to know a few additional details from you...namely, how many days a week are you currently working out? At first glance, it definitely appears that you are in real danger of overtraining, and not realizing any of the benefits of your hard work. I see that you mention that you alternate lifting arms and legs each day, but you also list squats and lunges as a component of each workout. If you are indeed doing these every workout, you definitely want to think about changing things up. It also looks like you are saying you are doing 5 sets of 5 reps on 3 different machines, then doing more cardio. Then 5 sets of 5 reps on 3 more machines, followed by lunges. Then 5 sets of 5 reps on a further 3 machines, followed by squats? And then finishing all of that off with 3-7 dumbbell sets? That's 45 sets on 9 machines, plus the lunges and squats, plus what you do on free weights? More is not always better!!!!! Overtraining is very dangerous, and can lead to a ton of problems, so you definitely want to be careful. Better results can be had by closely monitoring your nutrition and working out less. I agree with dad106 in that you should be splitting your lifting days and having at least 1 rest day a week. Depending on how advanced you are in your lifting, you should be lifting a max of 5 days a week, and probably less unless you are looking to compete in some sort of bodybuilding/fitness competition. Instead of what seems to be a shotgun approach to lifting, try focusing on specific body parts each day...it can even be as generic as upper/lower body days. A sample weekly workout could be:

Day 1: Upper Body
    Day 2: Lower Body
    Day 3: Cardio
    Day 4: Upper Body
    Day 5: Lower Body
    Day 6: Cardio
    Day 7: Rest

10-15 minutes of warmup cardio pre lifting and 10-15 minutes of cooldown cardio post lifting is MORE than enough cardio for the days that you lift. On non lifting days, you may look into some High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T) methods, or just go a bit longer on moderate paced cardio.

When lifting, you really don't need to be doing more than 4-5 exercises per body part per session. For instance, on day 2 when you work legs, you could consider the following plan:

10-15 minutes jogging/light cardio warmup

4 x 8-12 squats (following 1-2 warmup sets of very light weight at high reps)

4 x 8-12 leg press

4 x 8-12 leg extensions

4 x 15 calves

10-15 minutes jogging/light cardio cooldown

Thats it. On day 5 when you revisit legs, you could change the exercises and the focus from day 2. For instance:

10-15 minutes cardio warmup

Superset: (Do a set of each back to back with no break. Take a slight rest following the completion of 1 circuit, then repeat.)
    4 x 8-12 Upright Hamstring Curl
    4 x 40 Weighted Lunges (40 for each leg)

Regular sets:
    4 x 20 Wide stance squats

4 x 15 calves

10-15 minutes of cardio cooldown.

I know I started this by saying I wasn’t going to go into too much depth, so I’m sorry for the wall of text. The workout plan I listed was just an example, and you may want to seriously consider contacting a trainer at your gym to get you set up with something designed specifically for you. Basically, the point I’m trying to get across is that if you make sure to monitor the foods you eat and avoid overtraining you should see more results than you currently are and avoid any health problems you might run into from excessively exercising.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Before going too in depth on a workout, it would be helpful to know a few additional details from you...namely, how many days a week are you currently working out? At first glance, it definitely appears that you are in real danger of overtraining, and not realizing any of the benefits of your hard work. I see that you mention that you alternate lifting arms and legs each day, but you also list squats and lunges as a component of each workout. If you are indeed doing these every workout, you definitely want to think about changing things up. It also looks like you are saying you are doing 5 sets of 5 reps on 3 different machines, then doing more cardio. Then 5 sets of 5 reps on 3 more machines, followed by lunges. Then 5 sets of 5 reps on a further 3 machines, followed by squats? And then finishing all of that off with 3-7 dumbbell sets? That's 45 sets on 9 machines, plus the lunges and squats, plus what you do on free weights? More is not always better!!!!! Overtraining is very dangerous, and can lead to a ton of problems, so you definitely want to be careful. Better results can be had by closely monitoring your nutrition and working out less. I agree with dad106 in that you should be splitting your lifting days and having at least 1 rest day a week. Depending on how advanced you are in your lifting, you should be lifting a max of 5 days a week, and probably less unless you are looking to compete in some sort of bodybuilding/fitness competition. Instead of what seems to be a shotgun approach to lifting, try focusing on specific body parts each day...it can even be as generic as upper/lower body days. A sample weekly workout could be:

Day 1: Upper Body
    Day 2: Lower Body
    Day 3: Cardio
    Day 4: Upper Body
    Day 5: Lower Body
    Day 6: Cardio
    Day 7: Rest

10-15 minutes of warmup cardio pre lifting and 10-15 minutes of cooldown cardio post lifting is MORE than enough cardio for the days that you lift. On non lifting days, you may look into some High Intensity Interval Training (H.I.I.T) methods, or just go a bit longer on moderate paced cardio.

When lifting, you really don't need to be doing more than 4-5 exercises per body part per session. For instance, on day 2 when you work legs, you could consider the following plan:

10-15 minutes jogging/light cardio warmup

4 x 8-12 squats (following 1-2 warmup sets of very light weight at high reps)

4 x 8-12 leg press

4 x 8-12 leg extensions

4 x 15 calves

10-15 minutes jogging/light cardio cooldown

Thats it. On day 5 when you revisit legs, you could change the exercises and the focus from day 2. For instance:

10-15 minutes cardio warmup

Superset: (Do a set of each back to back with no break. Take a slight rest following the completion of 1 circuit, then repeat.)
    4 x 8-12 Upright Hamstring Curl
    4 x 40 Weighted Lunges (40 for each leg)

Regular sets:
    4 x 20 Wide stance squats

4 x 15 calves

10-15 minutes of cardio cooldown.

I know I started this by saying I wasn’t going to go into too much depth, so I’m sorry for the wall of text. The workout plan I listed was just an example, and you may want to seriously consider contacting a trainer at your gym to get you set up with something designed specifically for you. Basically, the point I’m trying to get across is that if you make sure to monitor the foods you eat and avoid overtraining you should see more results than you currently are and avoid any health problems you might run into from excessively exercising.

What do you see as the purpose for doing sets of 20 reps for Squats and Lunges? Why not RDL's in-place of Hamstring Curls, it's a more effective exercise at hitting the hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. Heck, I would argue that you really don't need calf raises that the leg work and cardio takes care of that muscle just fine. It's almost like doing bicep curls if you're rowing and doing chin-ups, not really necessary.
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I guess I need to schedule a session with a pt to get a solid plan in place. They just make me nervous like 2 a days in Hs!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I guess I need to schedule a session with a pt to get a solid plan in place. They just make me nervous like 2 a days in Hs!!

You'll be fine.

Just saw my PT tonight.. Had me doing lower body and ab work.

Make sure to detail everything and tell them your goals and they will set up a plan.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options

You seriously do not need a PT, unless you want to commit to spending money for something you can do yourself. Give New Rules of Lifting for women a shot for a good starting place, or go directly to stronglifts.com (free!).

There are groups here for both NROL4W and STRONGLIFTS FOR WOMEN.

Do your reading and ask for help on your first couple tries with the free weights. Then you'll be good to go. NO SMITH MACHINES!